Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike-to-bike intercoms

Bike
    None any more
    My experience with VOX systems involves various makes and models of dictation machines, all of which seem to miss the first couple of words of each utterance.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    My experience with VOX systems involves various makes and models of dictation machines, all of which seem to miss the first couple of words of each utterance.
    The Harley system is only too efficient. Not only did it trigger at high (ish) revs, but my wife caught every syllable of every curse directed at dimwit cagers.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Ok, so VOX systems aside for now, has anyone had any experience with throat mics? In particular for use with motorcycles, but even if you have used them elsewhere, how did you find them? Are they comfortable, clear, etc?
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    You need a bone mic, it's sits on top of your head and picks up vibartions from speech. Absolutely no extraneous noise. They're military spec, only $900 or so.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    None any more
    Sounds like you want one of those gadgets the SIS uses to monitor people's thoughts. Apparently it works in conjunction with commercial radio broadcasts.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin View Post
    You need a bone mic, it's sits on top of your head and picks up vibartions from speech. Absolutely no extraneous noise. They're military spec, only $900 or so.
    Ah-ha! I always thought you sounded a little bone headed! And Hitcher, is it time for you to start wearing one of those German WWII helmets? The metal might help prevent "them" from hearing your thoughts.

Meanwhile, at the risk of bringing this thread remotely back to it's topic, has anyone other than these two jesters got any input?
    I told him,

He said,

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    I told my wife I had a bone mic.
    She didn't fall for it either.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    My $0.02:

The Pinfolds intercom units are crap although the speaker set up inside the helmet works well!
    I'm not going to go into my list of complaints about the unit itself...just take my advice and don't buy one.

Throat mics: JayCar sell one for their range of walkie talkies. Work pretty well and are quite small. The really need to have a material cover over them though, neck sock would work nicely.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    Throat mics: JayCar sell one for their range of walkie talkies. Work pretty well and are quite small. The really need to have a material cover over them though, neck sock would work nicely.

Had a look on their website, two drawbacks to it, one is that it's a single pickup, and the other that its still an earbud system. At $19 tho, I might buy one just to see how well it works on a bike.

Jacar Link.
    I told him,

He said,

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    We use to use standard CB when first started Eagle Express MC Couriers a few years a go (err about 10 years???). We had it dual with the Mic and speaker setup so it could be used whether your helmet was on or off. Standard mic & speaker for when helmet is off just grab the mic and blabble...

Push to talk buttons on the hand grips and and mic and speakers mounted in the helmet for when riding... with a 5pin connector plug to the unit...

We did find that though bike to bike was possible the range was limited, and talking when you were at higher speeds became a little gabbled... but helmet technology has come a long way since then andare a lot quieter.

I just had the CB in a tank bag and the external speaker in the fairing... also had to have a 9 foot wip ariel mounted too...

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    I just ordered the Fire Fox Road Warrior system, will hopefully be trying it out over the weekend. Will post up how I get on. If all goes well, I'll be grabbing a couple of walkie talkies to try bike to bike as well.
    I told him,

He said,

Bike
    SV650S K6, CBR250R
    Has anybody heard anything more about the uniden system that supposed to be coming out this month?

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Pinfold is selling his earlier units on tardme for $20 (Helmet speakers, microphone & PTT button, no radio) . Got a couple of them and used them with a couple of UHF radios from Jaycar. For speeds below 120 KPh they are fine for a couple of bikes riding in company and the good thing, placating the scotsman in me, is you can set each rider up for around $65 (kiwi). They mount up real nice in Shoei helmets.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    None any more
    $20 is probably what those Pinfolds units are worth. They are disturbingly unreliable but work well when they go. If somebody copied the basic principles, but with bigger more robust plugs and a more reliable PTT switch, they'd be onto a winner.

All I need is a volunteer geek with a soldering iron and a Dick Smith catalogue and we'd be in business!

Bike
    2002 BMW R1150GS Fat-Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin View Post
    Why not buy locally then you can call Tony at Beahr and get answers straight away, and know they work.
    After all, NZ Police can't be wrong.
    I ride occasionally with a bunch of guys, including Tony, on three-day rides organised by Julian at Top Town Tyres in Hamiltron(City of the Futre). Most of them have Tony's Beahr system and the only time I've seen any problem was after two days of continual pissing rain on a Northland ride. Was water in a connector so not really a system problem. Tony is happy to help with instals and can cop with any real or imagined problem. He's a nice bloke. Ring him and talk!

The real problem with lots of guys in the same bunch of riders having Bike to Bike comms is the incessant bullshit! It's bad enough listening to Jules crapping on at the stops without having the scenery spoiled by non-stop verbage.
    Nil Carborundum Illegitimi

Thread Information