Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike-to-bike intercoms

Bike
    1975 Suzuki RE5

Bike-to-bike intercoms

Hi Im looking for a bike to bike intercom. Anyone using one at the moment that can comment on which ones work and which dont or do none work? regards Terry

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    I have wondered about this (be handy on group rides)

To me a cb walkietalkie is quite cheap (my bro uses them at work and when he goes 4wding in the middle of no where.

But all ive seen is $300 bluetooth units designed for rider and their pillion
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    K4 FE450 Husaberg K1 Rm125
    I use a 2 Transmitter / reciever setup with one of my friends.. Think the units are about $50 each from jaycar, then the throat mics are anoth $15 each.
    It works quite well as you just velcro the transmitter onto your tank and wire the 'talk' button into the pass button on your handlebars... (who uses the pass button anyways)
    Works well below 80kmh.. anything above that and the wind cuts into the signal too much.. i've heard rumors that you can tape the throat mic to your throat to cut out the wind noise tho. all up think it was about $120 for a bike 2 bike intercom with an effecitve 1/2 kilometre range

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    I was talking to the techs at Uniden NZ last week and they told me they have a new unit coming out designed for bikes
    It is a UHF handheld with a good output power, and it will have a remote PTT button (which is a button that you can mount on the handlebars)
    It will also have VOX (voice activated system)

They reckon they will be out within a month

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by re5rotary View Post
    Hi Im looking for a bike to bike intercom. Anyone using one at the moment that can comment on which ones work and which dont or do none work? regards Terry
    Never tried a bike to bike, so can't help you with that, but welcome to KB and I must say I'm amazed another RE5 pops up here.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    ...I must say I'm amazed another RE5 pops up here.
    There are at least five other RE5 owners who haven't yet joined up.
    Time to ride

Bike
    GL1800
    I have used a Pinfolds system, using Uniden radios and PTT switches which velcro round the handlebar, - when touring the South Island, we found them great for me (as llead rider) to tell my riding Buddy that it was safe to pass on the twisties! - We're sure the car drivers thouht we were crazy passing on corners, but we knew there was nothing coming for 2 kilometres!

THey are for sale if anyone is interested.

Bike
    1982 kawasaki ZK440
    We would have to decide on a universal frequency, what channel etc, probably a 40 channel CB.
    If some had UHF, another say SSB, and someone else with whatever, everybody will be gassing but no one will here anything. we would have to go back to the caveman days, you know….one finger, two fingers….

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    One can purchase from supercheap a digitalk sp3380D 40 channel PRS radio for $29 or as a twin pack. Pinfold has the headset for these at last count for around the $30 mark on trademe, just checked they are now $20 buy now
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-67297336.htm

These work well, the radio has a stated range of 5km. I have done the mod to add an external aerial to one of my radios to extend the range.

I also use these for communicating with the pillion at $50 it got to be a good deal. Pinfold has a new unit that one can add extra inputs to check out the website
    http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/
    Its a bit hard to navigate at first but its all there.
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
    I was talking to the techs at Uniden NZ last week and they told me they have a new unit coming out designed for bikes
    It is a UHF handheld with a good output power, and it will have a remote PTT button (which is a button that you can mount on the handlebars)
    It will also have VOX (voice activated system)

They reckon they will be out within a month

Cheers
    will it have an earpiece and mic to go in your helmet as well?? It sounds interesting - how do we find out more or hear when they're available. thanks

Bike
    None any more
    Mrs H and I have had several goes at using the Pinfolds set-ups on Uniden walkie-talkies. When they work, they work real well. But the plugs don't seem to hack it for longer than a few weeks' work. Shame really, because it's a nice simple system that's easy to install.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Maybe I am just stupid but I couldn't follow that pinfolds site at all. What do you need to communicate between two bikes? The radio and headsets are sold seperately? Buggered if I can tell how to compare prices on the site.

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Pinfold sells two types of headset
    The old "T" serries one of which I have. This is a basic headset that velcros into the helmet (The pix attached). And the K serries that is more robust and can have add ins to accomodate the mp3/detector/phone. This newer headset can be made for any type of radio, he even sells radios and headsets as a set.

One needs to read through the whole web page first to get to where one needs to go.

I have made up a bracket that holds the radio securely. It is easy to see the display and easy to change channels and select scan etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6061.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	39758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6062.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	39759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6063.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	39760  
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    None :(
    The digital radios I work on at work (Tait) which work really well in really bad noise environments. Even in situations you can't tell what the hell you're saying, the other party can hear it perfectly clear (i.e. sounds like you're standing beside them well away from any noise source). Depending on the RF power you stick it on, you could get some impressive ranges (easily over 20km). The only downers is the fact that you're supposed to buy a RF channel (~$200/year last I heard) and the price... $2,000+ per radio. Any takers? Lucky I don't need to buy them as I can borrow my development ones for the weekend (lets just call it field testing).

Bike
    KTM RC8
    These are fantastic bits of kit: http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I don't own one, but have used a mates on occasion and the clarity and range is really quite impressive. Not cheap though

NZ distributor is:
    Dold Industries Ltd
    17 Percio Place
    PO Box 10393
    Te Rapa
    Hamilton
    New Zealand

Phone: +64 7 849 4392
    Fax: +64 7 849 4114
    What a difference indifference can make

Thread Information