Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutchless shifting

Bike
    nein

Clutchless shifting

Just came across this http://www.datacraftsystems.co.uk/te...chniques_left/ while reading up on riding techniques...

The Clutchless Gear Change

To change gear we roll off the throttle and pull in the clutch lever, kick up the gear lever then engage the gear selected by releasing the clutch lever and rolling the power back on.

There is another way when changing UP from 2nd gear and above:

Leave the clutch lever entirely alone. Roll off the throttle and kick up the gear lever then re-apply the power. Modern gearboxes are so smooth that a slight closing of the throttle will enable you to change gear smoothly without using the clutch.

Many gearboxes will allow you to change down without using the clutch but this is generally less smooth.

If you intend to try this for the first time then start by changing up in the higher gear ratios first rather than from first to second. For example: change up to fourth in the normal way and accelerate to the speed that you would normally change to fifth. Roll off the throttle and immediately kick the gear lever up to fifth and be ready to roll on the throttle soon after that!

Advantages of the clutchless gear change is that it is quicker, smoother and less wearing on the mechanics of the bike.
    I'm really quite interested in this, do many people use this technique? I wonder if the Bandit classifies as a 'modern bike' in the sense they're using the phrase. Quicker shift and aparently better for the bike is win win..?

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    i only use the clutch to stop n start.. can't be arsed using it while riding, and makes for smoother (usually) shifting and riding too..

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Am Thinking this could be quite bad for mechanicals on bike if you get it wrong.....
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    nun
    i clutchless shift when i've been on a blast and going through a town where i'm usually riding one handed(relaxing), otherwise i use it

:slap:

Bike
    nothing :(
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    i clutchless shift when i've been on a blast and going through a town where i'm usually riding one handed(relaxing), otherwise i use it
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    K4 FE450 Husaberg K1 Rm125
    lol i learned that you don't have to use the clutch when my bike fell over for the first time and the clutch lever snapped off.. damn handy that even when the levers and kickstart lever and everything breaks, you can still crash start and ride home

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    You can actually apply pressure on the lever first before rolling off the throttle and when you do roll off the throttle the next gear clicks in far smoother than waiting till rolling off before putting presure on the lever!

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    clutchless up shifting is totally fine....won't harm your gear box at all....roll off the gas a lil....click it up a gear and bingo....
    changing down without the clutch can be very detramental to your gear box...especially the selector fork...I don't and wouldn't recomend it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Poos on this one, last two race meetings I've had probs with the clutch on the 750 not actuating from about lap 4 on (thought I'd fixed it, but did not do it at road speeds) The bike did not like changing down without the clutch at all, neither did I!
    Changing up, sweet

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    have heard about it, but dont really want to risk it. i have done it accidentally when a gear fails to engage right, but she doesnt like it much.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Vulcan - God of Fire
    I've recently started clutchless up-shifting on the VN when I'm out thrashing it around the countryside and want quick smooth changes - works fine.

Around town I normally use the clutch more out of sheer habit than anything else.
    Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Obliterate what makes us weak!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    clutchless up shifting is totally fine....won't harm your gear box at all....roll off the gas a lil....click it up a gear and bingo....
    changing down without the clutch can be very detramental to your gear box...especially the selector fork...I don't and wouldn't recomend it...
    Have to agree with cowpoos on that 1, on a regular basis I change up without the clutch, changing down not an easy shift to get right.

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"

Crash gearbox

So this is like in those old WW2 English tanks, which had no clutch at all, and the tank drivers just had to match the revs and crash the gears up or down? Sounds a lot smoother on a bike!
    I have done it once or twice by accident, but will have a go properly now.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
    I'm really quite interested in this, do many people use this technique? I wonder if the Bandit classifies as a 'modern bike' in the sense they're using the phrase. Quicker shift and aparently better for the bike is win win..?
    Your Bandit will clutchless shift just fine.
    I shift without a clutch a lot on longer trips, I've got a pretty heavy clutch so any relief I can give my left hand is welcome after about the first fuel stop.
    I don't so much around town, I've usually got a finger or two hovering over each lever in built up areas so I might as well use them.

Bike
    Check out these links....have been over this many many times: (especially the first one)

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/tran...on_applet.html

Essentially, the smaller and lighter the box the easier this technique will be. Bigarse heavy cruiser=harder to apply and less point, small light sprotsbike=easier and more point in doing it.

Watch out for Goldwingz with that pesky reverse gear......clutch definitely needed for that one!

Thread Information