Thread: Tour de force to Hamiltron

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

Talking Tour de force to Hamiltron

Well, today I fulfilled another riding goal I had set for myself in my log book. I took an extended trip out of Auckland to Hamiltron.

I left Alfriston school at around 3.30pm and blatted home to do a check on riding conditions (weather) and print out some maps from wises.co.nz to find my way around Hamiltron. Did the pre-ride check on my bike.

Tyres, chain, electrics (indicators, horn, passing lights) and did a practice flick over on my reserve switch (this was a handy thing to do!) - checked over my riding accoutrements (cellphone, spare cash in different pockets and other paraphenalia). Feeling quite excited and the day was oh so perfect!

Headed off to the Southern Motorway turn on at Takanini and roared off with the revs, matching motorway speeds (hmmm, aren't you still an L-plater I hear you say? Well screw being screwed on the motorway! )

Stopped off at the Autobahn and filled up my tank with 98 ($8 worth ), got a lot of lingering looks from the cagers filling up - I could read their minds "where is that lucky bugger going today?", even the cashiers could detect my jaunty step (ahh that noobie enthusiasm!). Rocketed back onto the motorway and let my Hornet have her head...she loved it! I zipped through the km's and all of a sudden I was at Huntly. My face hurt where I was grinning like a little kid in a candy store! During this time, I encountered a few bikers going up to Auckland and I got the nod and nodded back! Sweetness!

I switched into urban survival mode and covered my clutch and brakes again, during my ride on the motorway I found that I could return my hands to the bars when it was clear - but any nearby cages saw me back to covering. The trip into Hamiltron was over before it begun it seemed! When I hit the strip where the bike dealerships were...I pulled over and turned into them and drool!

They had the lot! Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas, Buells, Harley-D's, Triumph, Ducati...the list went on...they were closing up and I just managed to get around and have a good butcher's.

Back onto my bike and I pootled around Hamiltron. Nice as ever and I was suprised at how much attention my lowly Hornet was getting - a good feeling at first, then paranoia! I parked up at Mark One and read comics for a hour and then got some eats at Jesters. Watched my bike like a hawk parked in the bike zone opposite Starbucks (for the record, there was a coupla scooter and a nice Ginny). Got some cash out of the hole in the wall and rode out to Quasimoto. I got lost a little on the way, ended up on a dirt track and wondering where I was meant to be when a 4WD pulls up behind me without lights on...

Bugger.

Turns out it was a local who thought I was scoping out the place for thievin' purposes! He said he was going to run me over until he realised I was lost lost lost! : We had a good chat about life in general and he got me back on track!

Turned up to Quasi just as the owners (Bret and Paula) pulled up. Nice timing, the Biker Gods are pleased with me! Didn't take long to part with $289 for gloves and boots and had a good chat with them about biker stuff - am drooling over leathers and will outfit my own one ASAP! They give me directions to head back via Gordontown ways and with that, I blatted off into the night...

Night riding is a blast! Did the usual "let the lead cage light my way" trick and kept a whole lotta distance back. Did the headbeam switchy trick as well and did an excellent pace all the way - until I wondered what was flapping on my leg. Reached down and realised it was still the boot tag on!
    :slap:

And then, my bike started to lose power...no panic, I did the pre-rehearsed thang and switched my fuel over to reserve and my Hornet was loving me again!

Zen. I didn't realise I was cresting 120 consistently until I did a visual on my displays. Buttoned off the speed when I got to the post marked signs, just as well I did because into Huntly a boy in blue switched on his fruit salad and tags the idddioooot who overtook me...even when I had spotted him hiding and tapped my rear brake to warn him (had to be a him, cause only guys are dumb like that!).

Zipped back to Auckland and had a stop at my parents shop for a drink and a break and then home. Stashed my ride in her hidey-hole and typed up my little exodus...ahhh, two wheels of freedom - I'm loving it!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    04 VTR-1000 4cyl-eater
    Try the Coro loop at night man...thats a whole different experience..........

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuckmeat View Post
    Try the Coro loop at night man...thats a whole different experience..........
    I remember the twisties just driving there to pick up my ride on a trailer! No way was I going to ride it back as a total noob! But I will grow a pair and head there to do the whole thing...and maybe with a few more k's under my belt I'll do it at night!

You must post your experience so I can benefit!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Well done. You learn more on a single ride like this one than from almost any other source. Keep it up and keep posting your reports.
    Time to ride

Bike
    none
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Good to hear your enjoying yourself , the freedom of the open road!! As for the Coro loop , did it a couple of weeks ago on the cpr ride , frikin awesome , you gotta do it sepecially on a KB ride you meet some good guys who will give you tips and talk about bikes , As for calling your bike lowly , if she gets you to where you wanna go and then gets you back , nothing lowly about that. Keep clicking up the k`s when you get a bigger bike the k`s disappear alot quicker , keep as informed of your excursions. Go Joe

Thread Information