Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Learning to Ride a Bike

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    I think its a great idea to start on a 200-250cc trail bike. You can gain a lot of balance and riding skills off road, but still take your bike to work during the week. Some of the cheaper brands are only $3400 brand new, and are pretty reasonable copies of Hondas. And the big wheels and forgiving suspension are great around town if you have to nip up a kerb or whatever. On the downside, they are a fraction slower than road bikes, but I think the experience gained on the beach or forest track is worth a zillion miles of practice in a car park.

Safety gear - its easy to become obsessive. Comfy full face helmet, lightweight gloves and a cordura jacket are a good start. Then boots and pants as the budget allows.

The thread around here is that you WILL fall off. I think you should consider it a possibility, but with care, and good wits you may well ride for years without a ding.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    That sounds quite impressive - I've been getting much worse than that on my VT250F; more like 130k plus reserve, and spending about $17 to fill from there. Since it's been fixed up (was too full of oil) and the weather's been warmer (I kept forgetting to turn off the choke ... now I'm not using it), I've got up to 160k, but I refuelled then anyway to avoid running out on the way to work next day - maybe it will go further ...

Richard
    yeh, my choke goes back in once im about a block away. i reset the tripmeter every fill, and had to ride long distances for about 4 days just to hit reserve. i think i can get more to a tank without needing reserve, but its just natural to turn the tap the minute i notice the bike struggle...probably would have got another half k out of it i think. not sure.
    i always start with the choke after shes been sitting a while, or shes parked in the rain/cold winds as i find the temp chills the engine faster. if shes sitting in full sun with little, no choke.
    used to ride to welly and back quite often...would fill either in wanganui or bulls, depending, and then fill at otaki on the way home. if i didnt need any, id wait till either levin or foxton.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    That sounds quite impressive - I've been getting much worse than that on my VT250F; more like 130k plus reserve, and spending about $17 to fill from there. Since it's been fixed up (was too full of oil) and the weather's been warmer (I kept forgetting to turn off the choke ... now I'm not using it), I've got up to 160k, but I refuelled then anyway to avoid running out on the way to work next day - maybe it will go further ...

Richard
    How different is the VT250F from the modern VTR? I know that the Spada engine bears an uncanny resemblance to the VTR engine - I have a 13L tank and I fill it up after every 200km - there is usually only space for 8 or 8.5 litres. When cruising along the road at constant speeds I tend to have the bike in top gear and the revs around 4000-5000 need to drop a gear to get guts out of it of course but 200km on 8 litres seems excessively good compared to many. What am I doing wrong?
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I'm with all the others. Buy a second hand GN250 - learn on it till you get your full license - then sell it and buy a real bike.

Bike
    None (yet)
    So I went for my BHS on Saturday and I couldn't ride the bike in a straight line at 20km/h So disappointing. I could drive straight at faster speeds, but at slow speeds I was all wobbly. Anyway, that was my first time ever on a bike.I think I'll get a 50cc scooter and practice hard out on it and get my BHS later in the year.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Who did you do you BHS with?

Riderskills? John Wright?

Usually if you muff it up first time they give you a chance to re-sit at reduced cost don't they? - persevere dude.

Bikes are hard to handle at slow slow speeds - especially small engined bikes coz the power delivery ain't smooth. Develop this skill it will be very useful in Auckland.

Do you know anyone with a basic bike you could go to a carpark with them at a weekend and just practice - that's what I did with my wife so she could pass her basic handling skills.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    None (yet)
    Riderskills. Very helpful guy and I appreciate the extra help he put in I guess I need a little extra time driving at slow speeds, so I might do that on my own and go back to him later on.

Bike
    1986 Suzuki GN250
    I picked up my GN for $600. It's a slightly older model but still goes well.

Definately get some riding gear and lessons though, they do wonders for your confidence.

Bike
    2003 X11 "The Klingon"
    Hi KGX,

Yep practice. This might sound dumb but I reckon riding a bike at low speed is a bit like carrying 6 pints of beer back from the bar. The more you look down at the beer, the more you spill. Best to focus on where you are going not what you are doing.

Out of interest, were you looking down, sort of at your immediate path or looking well ahead at where you wanted to go? If it is the former then it maybe as simple as practicing the latter.

Good luck

JB

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kgx View Post
    I've booked a test at RiderSkills, will I need proper bike boots? The strongest shoes I have is work shoes but it barely goes above my ankle. I'll buy proper ones later but is this good enough for a Basic Handling Skills Course?
    Awesome attitude being worried about the gear. Keep in mind it's the only thing keeping your skin from the tarmac...

www.trademe.co.nz can be your friend. Leather jackets are available if you wait and punce when the time is right. I got mine for $200 and it's a really good one. 2nd hand, character (and a whiff of dope in the right pocket!!)

Boots and gloves are a must, as is a good helmet. The helmet is the only thing I'd insist you buy new. If they've had some hits they won't always show the damage, but they won't perform when needed
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    So I've finally decided to learn to ride a bike, my life long dream So I've read through the LTSA pages and looks like a long licensing process, but has to be done.

I just need suggestions for a first bike. Any particular ones that are good? Don't have any intentions of getting a scooter but if that's what I have to start with, so be it (preferably not though).

People at gpforums recommended GN250, but it's a little out of my budget. Are there good bikes around $2000? What are second hand bikes like? Are there any issues I need to be aware of?

Cheers.
    Congrats on the decision. I recently did the same. After xx years of looking at bikes and wishing, It's great to be out there. Don't let the length of the licence put you off. Use it as way of building up knowledge and experience.
    Then when you get the full, you will be in a better position to know what type of bike you really want.
    My recommendation. Spend the money to buy gear that will last you a while and don't worry too much about the first bike. Unless you have a money tree so the finances are not a problem, the first bike is a disposable means to an end. You just need a bike to get out there that will give you the experience, without putting you at risk. You don't need the latest xyz rocket. I paid $100 for mine and then spent about another $400 putting it on the road. It's not the flashest bike around but it owes me nothing.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    None (yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    Hi KGX,

Yep practice. This might sound dumb but I reckon riding a bike at low speed is a bit like carrying 6 pints of beer back from the bar. The more you look down at the beer, the more you spill. Best to focus on where you are going not what you are doing.

Out of interest, were you looking down, sort of at your immediate path or looking well ahead at where you wanted to go? If it is the former then it maybe as simple as practicing the latter.

Good luck

JB
    Yeah I was looking down too much

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I was looking down too much
    Ahhh, been there done that at my BHS - fortunately I did it when I was practising before the test had started. I did mines with John Wright and he told me "Never ever look down for thats where you will go!"

Chin up and just keep practising with the rubber side down, when you do achieve it you'll feel great and then get on with learning more!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Thread Information