Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning curve

Bike
    zxr250- The mozzie

Learning curve

I noticed a week ago that the tyres on my wee bike weren’t quite right. They seemed to be deteriorating close to the rim but they still had heaps of tread. After talking to someone who had a clue, I decided I should get some new ones. I bought a set in Tauranga and prepaid for the fitting as well. All I had to do was get the bike from Te Puke to Tauranga to get the job done. Only a 25-30 kms. No mean feet you may think. No,not for you experienced lot, however, I’ve only been learning to ride for 6 weeks. I’ve only ridden to work and back. Mostly rural and only briefly through the blip of a town that is Te Puke. The more I thought about it…the more it gave me the shits!

I decided that Thursday was the day. My bf was going to follow me in the van to make sure I was ok. Didn’t make it thursay..and bf went to golf Friday..grrr “Do it Saturday” he says “ there wont be as much traffic” he says. ( I’m a country girl..and I dislike city traffic)

Saturday, today, rolls around…and the weather is crap! I have no choice but to do it today because the car is booked in for a service Monday and I need the bike to get to work.

I start off ok.heading out of town…in the pissing down rain…getting TOTALLY soaked in 2 mins flat. (Draggin Jeans are the only pants I have for riding so far) On the open road I was feeling comfy keeping up with the flow of traffic 100-110 , keeping a good distance from myself and the vehicle in front. All is fine and dandy, then I get to the Mount. There was traffic from here to Africa! It was like peak hour traffic! And in the rain  I was cold and wet and WAY outside my comfort zone.

Dropped the bike off to get its new tyres, and the guy says he’s too busy to do it today. I wasn’t happy. It was a huge effort for me to get there. In the end he fitted the tyres for me, which I REALLY appreciated. Before I left for home, the guy warns me about new tyres being smooth and to run them in for 100ks and he tells me my steering needs looking at. It wasn’t really what I wanted to hear. If I thought it was daunting getting there…the trip back home seemed like a whole lot worse. My nerves got to me about then. My wet gloves feel like boxing gloves and my boots felt like clowns shoes. My jeans are soaked and i wonder if this is how babies feel when they have full nappies. I was fudging my gear changes..and was very, very uncomfy. I wanted to click my heels 3 times and be at home. I made my way out of Tauranga, thru the mount and back on to the main road home. I never really noticed before how crap the road is between the Mt and Te Puke before.

I made it home feeling pretty pleased that I managed it all in one piece. Perhaps I shouldn’t have gone outside my comfort zone like that, but I’m actually glad I did. How else am I going to become a competent rider if I don’t.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixc View Post
    Perhaps I shouldn’t have gone outside my comfort zone like that, but I’m actually glad I did. How else am I going to become a competent rider if I don’t.
    Right on.

You can apply that thought to your whole life...

Bike
    No bikes at my house
    Nice novel...
    Welcome to the site, your not wrong about the road between Mount and TePuke... if you try it on a sports bike its soooo bumpy your brain gets rattled and thats a body part we need to work correctly.

Practice makes perfect, being too cautious is better than being over confident but dont give up... you'll get there... then we'll see you at the Navigator on Thursday nights

Your tyres need 100-150 kph before you can trust them fully... you'll be alright as long as you dont try to get a knee down

PM "wybmadiity"... she lives in Te Puke and can give you some riding tips
    "Here for a good time... not for a long time" DUREX

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well done.

The biker spirit. May I suggest the outlay of a small sum (less than $10) at the Warehouse, which will purchase a pair of waterproof trousers. Impermeable and impervious to any rain (and thus not the most comfortable in dry weather since they do not breath). But a boon in heavy rain. A slightly larger, but still modest , sum will suffice to acquire a matching waterproof jacket.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

eek. A 25km ride is a mission. Well we all got to start somewhere... I guess....
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I can think of a few folk on 600s 750s and even litre bikes who would cry off a 30km trip over unfamiliar roads in pouring rain without proper wet weather gear.

As you say, we all began at the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    zxr250- The mozzie
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    Nice novel...
    Yes ..I tend to woffle sorry

PM "wybmadiity"... she lives in Te Puke and can give you some riding tips
    Ahh yes Ive met her. Nice lady..she enters data efficiently at work.

Bike
    zxr250- The mozzie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Well done.

The biker spirit. May I suggest the outlay of a small sum (less than $10) at the Warehouse, which will purchase a pair of waterproof trousers. Impermeable and impervious to any rain (and thus not the most comfortable in dry weather since they do not breath). But a boon in heavy rain. A slightly larger, but still modest , sum will suffice to acquire a matching waterproof jacket.
    While I was there i bought a pair of waterproof strides. Put them over my wet jeans.

Bike
    None
    Good on you for pulling it off despite your discomfort and it sounds like you'll mature into a real biker

Bike
    nifty50,vespa,moped,pennyfarthing
    RESPECT!!!...tell your boyfriend hes a tosser

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    That's the way to do it.. chuck yourself in the deep-end, and eventually you'll laugh at all the boy-racers in their ricecakes, no-matter the weather conditions..
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    zxr250- The mozzie
    Quote Originally Posted by 07fatboy View Post
    RESPECT!!!...tell your boyfriend hes a tosser
    You mean again??!!

Bike
    Your tyres need 100-150 kph before you can trust them fully... you'll be alright as long as you dont try to get a knee down
    Really? I dont trust my tires until im doing at least 220km/h....

Basically I wait for them to go from smooth black to scuffy lighter black.

Bike
    No bikes at my house
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Really? I dont trust my tires until im doing at least 220km/h....

Basically I wait for them to go from smooth black to scuffy lighter black.
    Good point... you dont normally think of your tyres until you depend on them.

Scrub'em up everyday
    "Here for a good time... not for a long time" DUREX

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Good attitude you have.
    I hope you got a set of Bridgestone bt39ss tyres, those are the shit on FXRs!

Thread Information