Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far can it be ridden, and how can I tell if its overheating

Bike
    Blog Entries
    considering a trip of this nature would only be 2 tanks of gas, is he saying that the bike won't survive 2 tanks of gas?

Bike
    No bikes at my house
    What everyone has been saying... its just an engine, It'll ride where ever you want it to for as long as you have gas in the tank and oil in the pan... dont put thickr oil in it... it will break.

But say'n that I've never owned a GN, but I have had DR's which are basicly the same engine... thrash it!
    "Here for a good time... not for a long time" DUREX

Bike
    07 SV650 Naked
    Yup brought mine in Tauranga 2005 and drove it back to Wgtn in one night...no problems cept the missus in the car had my wallet, we got seperated and she never thought to stop and wait for me......no cellphone sigh it was a long night....and had some very friendly people pay a couple of times for my gas....

Still runs sweet but it now looks crusty...after a year and a half.......motor is loosing its chrome and other metal parts are rusting..sigh..

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    My Gn Has only 1653 k on it its still shiny and new I was going to ride down to Dunedin but the guy at the shop said it was to much for a GN in one go

i rode from wanganui to paeroa [about 6 hours give or take.] unfortunatly, i ran into the "round the lake run" around lake taupo. traffic was a dead stop from turangi to taupo. i was in full leathers and figured if i was overheating, so was the bike. i ended up splitting when i could.
    i stopped every few towns to double check my map, but have no doubt i could have made it in one run, no stops. two days later, i rode from paeroa to rotorua and the following day, rotorua to home. those last two were non-stop, except for petrol and lunch.
    just make sure you check the oil before you go, fill if needed and might pay to let the engine cool fully and check again before the return trip. mine hasnt taken any oil since the last service, nearly 5000k ago.

i was told not the check the oil unless the engine was entirely cold, cos if its hot, its still amongst the parts in the engine...hasnt run down. i checked mine the next morning. didnt need any though. same rules apply for cars...you dont get a clear reading.

word of warning...learn the rev to speed ratio [ie, 6000rpm = 100k] cos mine killed my speedo coming home, so had no idea how fast i was going, nor how many k's id done between petrol stops.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    a blue one
    I've ridden my gn for maybe half a dozen 8 hour rides and many more 5ish hour rides. It still goes fine. I'm just hoping the bike doesn't rust away before I wear the engine out.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Cobalt,

The GN has an engine that's a very well established and rock solid design. There are a lot of them around, simply because they go... and go... and go.

As someone said - the bike will outlast you on a single journey... easily!
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Daytona 675
    I agree that you should be able to open road a GN as long as you want. Just make sure it has fresh oil before you do anything like 6600 k's in 8 days!
    How did the chain cope with that?
    Like ixion said, the only thing that'll make it overheat is slow traffic.
    No airflow on an air-cooled engine = no cooling

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantasaurus View Post
    I agree that you should be able to open road a GN as long as you want. Just make sure it has fresh oil before you do anything like 6600 k's in 8 days!
    How did the chain cope with that?
    Like ixion said, the only thing that'll make it overheat is slow traffic.
    ooo good point grant!! my chain has needed replacing twice after long rides [wanganui to paeroa/wellington] but has been fine since last replacement.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

, the only thing that'll make it overheat is slow traffic.
    The same with a water cooled engine (indirectly air cooled),no airflow and they will overheat - it's the fan that provides the airflow.

My watercooled bike has no fan,and never overheats,it has been designed for low speed use.An yes,there are aircooled bikes with fans...scooters,and they don't overheat in traffic.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Daytona 675
    Yeah, but a water cooled bike will always take much longer to reach the same point, and so they're more resistant to it.
    The specific heat of water is much higher than any metal or oil, ie it takes a lot more heat to increase its temperature by say 1 degree.

The watercooled bike will boil the coolant....the aircooled bike will just keep going.....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Daytona 675
    ... Until it completely breaks the oil down and the motor seizes, yeah. Both will do it, although the water cooled motor will always take longer.
    My point is, even without a fan a water cooled motor will always take a lot longer to kill its oil, because of the fact that it has the radiator water in addition to the metal fins etc on the motor to absorb and radiate heat.
    They are more tolerant of it, if you like.

Bike
    2005 triumph speed 4
    Years ago we rode a CB100 two-up all the way from Auckland to Bay of Islands. The bike handled it perfectly OK because we didn't thrash it and like some of the other crew are suggesting, it's your backside that will let you know when it's time for a rest. Open road riding has got to be easier on a aircooled engine than commuting. By the way, thats a nice road between CH & Dunedin eh.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    ... Until it completely breaks the oil down and the motor seizes, yeah. Both will do it, although the water cooled motor will always take longer.
    My point is, even without a fan a water cooled motor will always take a lot longer to kill its oil, because of the fact that it has the radiator water in addition to the metal fins etc on the motor to absorb and radiate heat.
    They are more tolerant of it, if you like.
    Well before the water cooled motor gets oil hot enough to be a problem (with modern oils), the engine will have suffered major damage in other ways.

Once the temperature of a water cooled engine reaches boiling point (about 110 degree C or so usually), the coolant will, surprise, boil. This causes steam to be generated. Steam in an engine is BAD news. Continue for long with the water boiling and you will blow headgaskets, water will leak into the oil and emulsify, steam pockets will prevent circulation and cause local hot spots and detonation, the water pump will cavitate , causing all sorts of horrible things to happen.

The air cooled engine will go happily on. I've seen air cooled engines running happily with the exhaust headers glowing red.

Eventually, I guess it would be possible to get an aircooled engine hot enough that the oil broke down causing seizure. But on a four stroke, with modern oils, I doubt you'd ever see it off the race track. Generally before that point either the carbs will get so hot the motor will run like shit, or an exhaust valve will stick in the guide (which may also be a BAD thing).

Even aircooled two strokes, where cooling is much more demanding, and lubrication on the edge of non existent, will run at very high temperatures without problem.

The advantage of water cooling is not that it offers greater protection to the engine , but that it offers the ability to remove the cooling surface away from the engine. On a large powerful engine, even a single cylinder, it gets hard to accomodate big enough fins. On a multi, very hard indeed. How do you provide sufficient "finnage" for the middle pots?

Really the only reason the water exists is to enable the heat to be transported somewhere away from the cylinder head, to a place where there is more room for cooling surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I'm a smug bastard then coz my wee 250 is liquid cooled and has a fan behind the radiator.unfortunately a bike with this set up cost me twice the price of a Ginny.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Thread Information