Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far can it be ridden, and how can I tell if its overheating

Bike
    Honda VTR250 ..2011

How far can it be ridden, and how can I tell if its overheating

Hi Folks I know this is going to seam a really dumb question so here goes I have been told that my GN 250 been a commuter bike its not supposed to be ridden to long as it will over heat and it will sag the engine. My question is how far can it be ridden and how can I tell if its over heating ? Would heavier oil stop it over heating letting me ride further? :spudwave:

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    If you're GN is in reasonble nick, just use the recommended iol and change it according to the specs. You should be able to hop on it tomorrow and ride straight to Bluff. You might not last the trip, but the GN certainly will!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Just checked and saw you're in CHch! The GN would happily cruise to the big Auck if you were of a mind too!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Honda VTR250 ..2011
    My Gn Has only 1653 k on it its still shiny and new I was going to ride down to Dunedin but the guy at the shop said it was to much for a GN in one go

Bike
    2005,suzuki,marauder vz800
    i've had this problem going back a few years and must say when i rode my honda cl 175 back in the 70's it just stopped, i waited 5 minutes and set of again no problem. i was riding from wellington to the mount, which is a fair way, but the funny thing going back to welly it never over heated, i would say it may have been cooler that day, but as far as your gn250 it should cope no worry's, i would of thought giving ita long ride every now then would do it good.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Any limitation will be because of rider not machine. I would with complete confidence set out to ride a GN250 right round NZ.

Provided you are willing to accept a "cruising" speed (say 90 to 100kph) , without holding the throttle hard to the stop the whole way, the only limit will be that you may get quite tired. But if you limit your distance to, say, 300km , you should have no troubles.

An aircooled engine will almost never overheat on the open road, if they overheat it will be in thick slow moving traffic where there is no air flow to cool the motor.

Ride the bike and do not worry about ignorant doomsayers.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    GSXR1000
    +1 what Ixion says. (except the part about riding a GN250 right round NZ)

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    My daughter rode her '05 GN250 from Wellington to Hams to Wellington in a weekend. They are quite capable of it at the speed limit. But I do recall the dude in the bike shop giving her the long trip warning.

Bike
    Honda VTR250 ..2011
    Thanks for the replys folks I'll take it easy and give it a rest after every 100k just incase and its a chance to have a smoke they burn down to quick unless you stop

Bike
    78 CBX 750 Outfit, Yamaha 1400 Custom

I rode one around NZ

I rode my old GN around NZ on a Southern Cross Road Rally 6300km in 8 days
    if your arse can stand it the bike will - and cheap as well
    Last edited by Lee Rusty; 15th September 2006 at 20:00. Reason: misspelling
    If you say either "I can" or "I can't" your correct.

Bike
    Walking
    Could we get a better explanation of what is meant by 'SAG THE ENGINE'?:spudwhat:
    Never heard of it!

Sounds like the type of thing some would say to try and sell ya a bigger bike.

The GN would make a NZ tour. Not the perfect bike for it, but a well mantained one would make it here there and back again, no matter where in NZ the 'Here / There' was.

Bike
    06 GT250R Electric Mango
    I did a 300km round trip on mine the other week, never missed a beat and that was on one tank of gas Did have a sore butt afterwards but it was fun

I have been warned also about long trips on a Ginny but I heard it was that the wheel bearings cant handle it?

Only thing I would keep a check on is your oil levels

Also for a long trip keep it to 90-100 (not that you have much choice) but don't ring it out too much

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I would stronly suggest that on a long trip on a GN250 that you stop every 200 - 240 kms for 5 minutes or so. If you push too much past that then the engine will stop. It will not restart again untill you add fuel to the tank. So its a good idea that when you make that stop that you fill up and check the oil at the same time. As long as you do that then, as Lee Rusty says, you can ride right around NZ.
    Last edited by Jantar; 15th September 2006 at 22:48.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Honda VTR250 ..2011
    Thanks for the Help Guys

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    Weird that they said a Gn wouldn't make it.
    My GN is 20 years old, a 1986 model, and I rode it from Auckland to Wellington in a weekend, throttle to the stop all the way. I kept it topped up with oil, ran it on 91, and the engine got hot but not too hot to touch. Too hot to keep your hand on it, but not as hot as a boiling steel kettle or something like that.

The main threat is running out of oil. If it runs out of oil, bits of metal will overheat and expand, while other bits of metal will stay the same size, and it will seize. Check those oil levels every time you fill it up with petrol.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Thread Information