Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Muffler...

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10

Question DIY Muffler...

Hi all...

What goes into building a muffler?

I am interested in building a one just for interest sake. I know you use exhaust filling to fill it up and that it is basically a cross drilled pipe in an even bigger pipe... LOL

This made me think... Where do you get the cross drilled pipe? Or do they manually drill 5million holes in each pipe?

Any useful facts are welcome.
    Cheers.

Bike
    Bikes!
    The inner baffle is a perforated tube, they perforations aren't just holes, but little flow restrictors I guess you'd call them. You can get lengths of it from somewhere like www.autobend.co.nz, or probably better for a welly man, www.neptunemufflers.co.nz. But you're right, they're essentially a baffle, and outer tube, some packing and some flanges

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    The inner baffle is a perforated tube, they perforations aren't just holes, but little flow restrictors I guess you'd call them. You can get lengths of it from somewhere like www.autobend.co.nz, or probably better for a welly man, www.neptunemufflers.co.nz. But you're right, they're essentially a baffle, and outer tube, some packing and some flanges
    Thanks... I sent them a few inquaries.

Will a home made muffler that is under 100db pass a WOF?

Thanks.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by degrom View Post
    Thanks... I sent them a few inquaries.

Thanks.
    Yes. So long as it is properly attached, cannot easily be dismantled etc. NZ has no homolgation rules
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by degrom View Post
    Of course! Hell, home made fairings, fuel tanks, wheels, brake calipers, and pretty much anything else you can mention will get a WOF It's only things with DOT markings that they get pissy about in NZ, light lenses, tyres, brake hoses... that's about all that comes to mind. NZ is still reasonably liberal in that respect.

I've actually just emailed Neptune a couple of days ago about having a muffler made... I've not heard back yet, will probably make one myself if I don't hear back.

I made my own mufflers for my XLV750 a few years ago - some high tech design I got out of ''Four Stroke Engine Tuning'',or maybe some other tuning book.They used a couple of concentric cones and some Helmholtz chambers,but a few big holes - they were pretty noisey,but not over the top.I dynoed the bike before and after....the previous system was my own too,but pretty open,using 4 hotdogs,2 per side.It took me 2 or 3 weeks to make them,maybe 8 hrs per muffler.I'd like to do it again when I get some time,but this time make them adjustable.I'll upload some photos from my work computer tomorrow.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I made my own mufflers for my XLV750 a few years ago - some high tech design I got out of ''Four Stroke Engine Tuning'',or maybe some other tuning book.They used a couple of concentric cones and some Helmholtz chambers,but a few big holes - they were pretty noisey,but not over the top.I dynoed the bike before and after....the previous system was my own too,but pretty open,using 4 hotdogs,2 per side.It took me 2 or 3 weeks to make them,maybe 8 hrs per muffler.I'd like to do it again when I get some time,but this time make them adjustable.I'll upload some photos from my work computer tomorrow.
    The photo's would be greatly appreciated. What did the dyno say about your pipes? Better or worse than the manufacturers ratings?

Thx

I was comparing the mufflers to my previous open system,and there was no difference in power.I have no idea about comparison to the manufacturer's figures as they measure crankshaft hp,I was getting a rear wheel hp reading.

On my first system I had one hotdog coming up parallel with the subframe tubes,and another inside the standard stainless heatshield at the rear,but this system was the same size as the heatshield so couldn't use them.,but they didn't cause a problem,as I seldom carry a pilion.I left the first hotdogs in place.I don't have the book so can't scan a diagram,but inside is a cone with various large holes,and behind are two Helmhotz chambers,the exhaust comes out around the outside.I actualy used an old driveshaft to make the Helmhotz chambers.So nothing too technical,just a lot of cutting and welding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awakino.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	42241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test 015.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	42242  
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10
    I was comparing the mufflers to my previous open system,and there was no difference in power.I have no idea about comparison to the manufacturer's figures as they measure crankshaft hp,I was getting a rear wheel hp reading.

On my first system I had one hotdog coming up parallel with the subframe tubes,and another inside the standard stainless heatshield at the rear,but this system was the same size as the heatshield so couldn't use them.,but they didn't cause a problem,as I seldom carry a pilion.I left the first hotdogs in place.I don't have the book so can't scan a diagram,but inside is a cone with various large holes,and behind are two Helmhotz chambers,the exhaust comes out around the outside.I actualy used an old driveshaft to make the Helmhotz chambers.So nothing too technical,just a lot of cutting and welding.

Nice!!! Thanks for the cool pictures!!!

What did you do for paint? Did you need to bake the heat paint and is it still looking okay after a few km's?

Thanks again!!!

Just heat proof exhaust paint,I had the headers ceramic coated.The paint was still perfect after 4 years before I sold it.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10
    Just heat proof exhaust paint,I had the headers ceramic coated.The paint was still perfect after 4 years before I sold it.
    Cool!!!

What is involved in ceramic coating and was it expensive?

The pipes have to be able to stand up to a sand blasting inside and out,cost me me $100 I think.I used HPC because the owner bought my old 'Coon.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    If you want to design the exhaust system scietifically (at least for noise) look up a program called "Silencer" for designing the Helmholtz chamber sizes.
    I have bought the perforated tube from Papakura Engineering (Auck) in the past. I have some if you need a piece - depends what size you want. For my GSXR muffler, I packed the core with fiberglass mat and chopped strand, and taped around the outside to pull the fiberglass in tight so it would fit in the outer tube.
    I am planning on making some 2 stroke pipes for the RD some day, since the bought ones "could be better".
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I purchased a pair of aftermarket mufflers for my old 750 twin that had a perforated core system (straight through) that were too loud. I got a bit of muffler pipe and cut slots in in and punched them inward to make a pair of insert baffles as per attached photo. They knocked down the sound a lot (the first set too much so I made a shorter set). I noticed no difference at all in performance with or without them. The theory is that they disturb the flow a bit while still being a 'performance' baffle. Should look like a set of 'hills' when looking from the direction of flow -engine end (not 'caves').
    If yours is a bit loud whip up one of these for inserting in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home-made baffle.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	43656  

are they just a friction fit in your muffler?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Thread Information