Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand blasting? want to strip my frame back

Bike
    CR250

Sand blasting? want to strip my frame back

Anyone got any good contracts for sand blasting? want to get my frame powder coated and to do that I have to get the frame sand blasted.

Cheers

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Check with Bugjuice, didnt he do his frame a little while ago? On his older ZXR, not the 636.
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    I would make sure that it can handle been sandblasted as alot of heat gets generated by this process, soda blasting might be better.

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by WRT View Post
    Check with Bugjuice, didnt he do his frame a little while ago? On his older ZXR, not the 636.
    Im pretty sure he got SixPackBack to organise it for him.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by r4q2 View Post
    I would make sure that it can handle been sandblasted as alot of heat gets generated by this process, soda blasting might be better.
    What is the price comparison between sand blasting and soda blasting?
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    ah, not sure about that one mate...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Careful what media they use, talk to them about it, I got my steel frame sand blasted in wgtn at an industrial place & it looked withered afterwards, fortunately the powder filled it in enough. An ally frame would have disappeared I bet.

If they have a brain & have done similar they will advise what (bead, sand etc) to use, if they go “never done one before mate but leave it next to the tractor wheel” then walk away.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Walnut shell blasting is what you want

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Why not get the frame paint stripped? Abrasive blasting is good for rust removal but if its only paint your getting rid of try getting it dipped.
    It's been a long time since I was involved with powder coating (20 years) but then it wasn't water proof..powder coat bare steel and it rusted. I am sure things have changed since then but we used to have to galzanise steel before powder coating then, it would be worth enquiring first.
    I would have picked a high build paint (single or two pot mix) as a more durable frame coating, gives the same thick coating but is weather resistant with better surface gloss and damage resistance. Talk to a car painter?

Bike
    1979 Kawasaki Z1300
    If you scroll to the bottom of the page of the link below you will see my frame, blasted and powder coated for $185 at

Arkro Powder Coaters
    3/30 Porana Rd
    Glenfield
    Tel 09 443 4051

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t=31428&page=9

Bike
    Bikeless for now but shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Anyone got any good contracts for sand blasting? want to get my frame powder coated and to do that I have to get the frame sand blasted.

Cheers
    G'day mate,
    Find a place that can blast the frame using an organic material (ground up walnut shells) or plastic (looks like ground up Lego blocks). Sand or glass bead can wreak havoc because of the heat the process generates. When yo do find a suitable place, ask to see some of their work before you hand over your frame. I've seen some horrendous damage done where ferous oxide grit the size of sugar grains were used to paint strip an otherwise serviceable frame. Tread cautiously!

CADanimal

Bike
    1979 Kawasaki Z1300
    Arkro can also do some great colours including Metallics and Pearlescents. I have one of their colour charts here, they even do the Gold Wheels for the Subaru dealers so alloy is not a problem.

If you want to see the kind of finish they can get, have a look at my bike. I am in Whangaparaoa during the day and Saturday if you want to come out this way.

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    It's been a long time since I was involved with powder coating (20 years) but then it wasn't water proof..powder coat bare steel and it rusted. I am sure things have changed since then but we used to have to galzanise steel before powder coating then, it would be worth enquiring first.
    This is correct when powdercoating steel. It does need to galvanised before powdercoating to prevent rusting below the powdercoat surface causing the powdercoat to bubble and flake off.

Bike
    CR250
    really maybe I'll just use a wire wheel and paint it. It's just for an old MX'r so I need something fairly strong. How much does galv cost?

Bike
    CR250
    oh and it's a steel frame too. (like RM's still are.....)

Thread Information