Thread: 1 Year = 18,000km 2005 Honda Blackbird

Bike
    2005 Blackbird xx

1 Year = 18,000km 2005 Honda Blackbird

Hi All

Well just over a year ago I became the proud owner of a Honda Blackbird, my first ever brand new bike.

After years of waiting (we had to buy a house first) and looking at the other models out there I brought the Blackbird. Even better the day we picked it up Big Dave was having a photo session. So with the missus on the back we meet up in Mission Bay and then head out to Clevedon for the photo session. Big Dave took some great photos off all the bikes and even one in which I was following Zed on his Blackbird with Zed reflected in my visor.

But onto the bike it has been fantastic, the first mods were a new seat from Rider seats (what a difference), then a double bubble screen and crash bungs from Jaws in the UK. At the first service we had a Givi 52 litre top box fitted along with a Scott oiler.

The first major ride was the coro loop, what a bike but boy did I know about the tight and twisty stuff at the end of the day, but the power more than made up for it. Then it was the major test 2 weeks in the South Island with the missus on the back. The South Island roads were fantastic and 5000km later we had no complaints, this was the sort of riding the bike was made for. The biggest day was 700km when we decided to ride from Wellington to Auckland in one go, only then did the ass really know about it.

The mileage averaged out at 330km per tank, it has a 24 litre tank but I was filling up as soon as the reserve came on which in according to the manual meant there was 4 litres left (I didn't want to find out). I commute every day on the motorway from Onehunga to Ponsonby 32km round trip the mileage for that isn't so great. I'm running Bridgestone BT-020 and have done around 10,000km on them so far, they have suited my riding style well.

All in all a great bike, the latest mods as per the great and helpful Blackbird (aka Geoff) are 100w Xenon bulbs and a 6mm spacer for the rear suspension. The bulbs have made a huge difference to night riding and the spacer as made it like a new bike the cornering is so much easier.

My impressions of the 2005 Blackbird is that it is a great sports tourer, when we are two up it is really good and when I want to have a bit of fun it can handle that as well. For me my partner and the riding we do it has been a great investment and we hope to have many years of riding the Blackbird ahead of us.

Cheers

Brian
    Make mine a Heineken

Bike
    2022 Triumph Speed Twin 900
    Nice write up mate. Sounds like you are really enjoying your bike. Yep, the Coro loop is a good proving ground for any bike and sure is heaps of fun.

Still reckon it's one of the best roads for bikes
    If the destination is more important than the journey you aint a biker.

Sci-Fi and Non-Fiction Author
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pcfris

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    Nice write up mate. Sounds like you are really enjoying your bike. Yep, the Coro loop is a good proving ground for any bike and sure is heaps of fun.

Still reckon it's one of the best roads for bikes
    You are right but just like the rest of New Zealand, we are very lucky here.

Nice write up BigB, hope you continue to enjoy. Cheers John.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    ...and a 6mm spacer for the rear suspension. ..... and the spacer as made it like a new bike the cornering is so much easier.
    What does the spacer do, raise or lower the height, or the "progressive-ness" (sp)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    2005 Blackbird xx
    The spacer raises the back end by about 30mm at the wheel, which makes the bike turn in better.

cheers
    Make mine a Heineken

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    After years of waiting (we had to buy a house first) and looking at the other models out there I brought the Blackbird. Even better the day we picked it up Big Dave was having a photo session. So with the missus on the back we meet up in Mission Bay and then head out to Clevedon for the photo session. Big Dave took some great photos off all the bikes and even one in which I was following Zed on his Blackbird with Zed reflected in my visor.
    I remember that day well Brian, and the cheesy grin on your face as you introduced me to your new pride and joy. Doesn't surprise me in the least that you are wrapped with the 'Bird, as a previous 'Bird owner myself i have come to expect it as it seems every owner i have spoken to has had a good impression of that bike!

Attached are a couple of pics of the above mentioned day. Pretty visor btw BigB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clevedon04.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	43628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clevedon05.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	43629  

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    Nice one Brian. They certainly sound like a great bike. They are well priced here IMO, at $15,990 ride away. If they were a shaft drive they would have been high on my buying list.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    quite a few
    Very nice.

I was impressed with the bird I rode. Smoooooooth and comfortable.

Bike
    06 DL1000 & 01 GSX-R1000
    Will written Brian. Must catch up this side of Xmas for a blat.

Thread Information