Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain and/or Drive Sprocket Problem

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    when you ride around (I presuem crappy weather is worst), the insides of the calipers can start oxidising with the water etc. the surfaces should be smooth as to allow the pistons that push the pads to move out and retract easily. If the oxidisation builds up too much the pistons have trouble retracting and will tend to rest against the brake disc instead of hiding back inside the caliper. This result in a lot of unneccesary wear on your disc and pads.

make sense?

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    I have a question for someone else though on chains.

if my chain has a particularly tight spot, is it the result of rooted sprockets/chain or is it something misaligned? Ie.. can I get it adjusted or am I looking at new gear. The sprockets are a little hooked but there is one very sudden tight spot, almost like it is clicking out of place or something strange. I don'tthink its good for teh drive mechanism at all and want to get it fixed.

Any ideas greatly received!

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Originally posted by Coldkiwi
    when you ride around (I presuem crappy weather is worst), the insides of the calipers can start oxidising with the water etc. the surfaces should be smooth as to allow the pistons that push the pads to move out and retract easily. If the oxidisation builds up too much the pistons have trouble retracting and will tend to rest against the brake disc instead of hiding back inside the caliper. This result in a lot of unneccesary wear on your disc and pads.

make sense?

Yeah seems simple enough but what is the caliper (yes I'm a learner! )
    /end communication

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    take couple of chain mesurments, and again after a ride. if tight spot in the same place, replace the chain. chances are its damaged or warn. the tight sopt can damage the trans shaft bearing. it dose pay to replace chain and sprocke together.  im not  sure that the sprockets would be cause of the tight spot but it wont be helping. take the mesurments and fid out.

some times lack of lubrication, corrision and rubbing (hooked sprocket teeth)may cause a tight spot (binding)

hay i am no mechanic! and could be wrong. i dont know much about your bike, im looking at what id do with mine
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    Originally posted by Antallica
    Yeah seems simple enough but what is the caliper (yes I'm a learner! )
    basicly its a housing that fits on the brake disk and holds the brake pads
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Ahh cheers, I'll get that checked out ASAP.
    /end communication

Bike
    RF900

Red face

When I bought the bike from Red B they must have put a fairly budget chain on cause after 10k it was maxed out.
    I got a gold DID x O ring from Cycletreads plus new sprockets and I've done 15k without first adjustment money well spent
    $250 all up.
    Brake calipers have a cross over piston/pistons and it they stick the outboard shoe grind away at the disk to distruction.
    that 150 disk is unlikely to take a skim.
    so get around to Cycletreads and get sorted.
    They have a good bike shop in Whangerei dont they?
    50$ now saves 300$ later especially if you have a noise.
    I have spent heaps at Cycletreads and have never felt ripped off.
    whats the top speed on your 150?
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Got mine to 150km/h going to Auckland the other week. That was at 12,000rpm (just hitting the red line). I didn't stay at that speed for long, I just wanted to see if I can beat my previous top.

Gold chain, oh that's gonna be my next one
    Mines done just over 8k and it's the original, it's got a slight knot in it but nothing major yet.... gotta save up for some servicing and parts now BAH!
    /end communication

Bike
    RF900

150klms from a 150 damed good on that basis you should get 750klm/hr from an R1.
    I wish they had bike like yours when I was a lad.
    I had a triumph bonniville T120 and it struggled to do that.
    mind you it wasnt all bad it felt real mean and felling had a lot to do with the overall experience.
    whats your next bike going to be?
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Thread Information