Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NZ roads - do they need better signposts?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    It's all well and good for you fellas to sit behind your PCs and tell 'dumb foreigners' to ride/drive to the conditions - how many of you swear under your breath at 'dumb foreigners' holding you up by driving 30km/h below the speed limit on the same open roads wondering why they have to plod along so 'bloody slowly' and wishing that they'd get a grip and speed up. Maybe they're just taking it slowly because they don't know their way around and don't want to go flying into an unmarked tight corner.
    Um....

We're on motorbikes...

We just pass them...

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    not on the best tight twisty roads we dont..... Until we can see a little way ahead...
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Don't worry - when I'm in my Pajero it's payback time!!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    I think I know of one corner just out of clevedon that could do with the sign moving to where you can see it before you are actually half way around it and in the poo......
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy
    I do slow down if there are other vehicles around but they put all this grit/gravel down and someone has to take the responsability to sweep it off the road.
    In 16cm wide strips
    The sad thing is, part of the reason that they leave the gravel there for so long has to do with utilising traffic to roller it into the tar, rather than doing it with their multi-wheeled roller thingos.

Tarsnakes - let's start another sub-thread about those vicious slippery tarsnakes. I'm almost getting used to the way the tyres slip about on those in the wet. And dry.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Ask any tourist about Auckland road signs in particular, totally incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't live here.
    Now that Transfund has merged with the Land Transport SAFETY Authority, will we see an improvement in SAFETY practices on our roading network?
    I actually found most of the roading round town to be pretty good here when I first arrived. There's decent wide roads because you don't have to follow a medieval street layout, which means cars can park and people can still get by, plus there are a lot of dedicated 'right turn' filters, so people turning right don't hold up those behind going straight on.

The signs here were mostly fine, once I worked out that the motorway exits were named and not numbered (which was very handy in the UK).

I can't say as its been an issue unless I'm right out in the wops somewhere, where the signs at intersections direct me between two places I've never heard of.....

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    The problem with road signage here, is there are too many strange things to sign.

Several needed signs on my last ride would have been:

Caution idiots yaking in utes in middle of road after blind unbanked severe corner.

Constant cow/sheep shit all over road after tight corners and steep hills.

Road works abandoned after starting.

Cheap ass road repairs to dangerous curves.

Large section of road removed for lane widening to be completed early 2010 or not.

Caution 30km limit due to badly designed and maintained road built in 1910 for horse and buggy.

Temporary 30kph limit on perfectly sealed straight section of ten lane motorway because we can't be bothered to remove the twenty year old signs.

uno patito dalle motociclette italiane

Bike
    xs400 -
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    The problem with road signage here, is there are too many strange things to sign.

Several needed signs on my last ride would have been:

Caution idiots yaking in utes in middle of road after blind unbanked severe corner.

Constant cow/sheep shit all over road after tight corners and steep hills.

Road works abandoned after starting.

Cheap ass road repairs to dangerous curves.

Large section of road removed for lane widening to be completed early 2010 or not.

Caution 30km limit due to badly designed and maintained road built in 1910 for horse and buggy.

Temporary 30kph limit on perfectly sealed straight section of ten lane motorway because we can't be bothered to remove the twenty year old signs.

THose signs are TOo wordy ...

tRy con densin Them a bit ...

I prefer summerys to long versoins anyhow :spudbooge

GOod effot tho ... eh little fella , he did alright ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    I didnt have any trouble finding my way about when I was in N.Z,no better or worse than here I`d say.A bit down the road from me you approach a little place called Newton Ferrers and there`s a sign to Noss Mayo showing it`s down the right fork,and another one below it showing to go down the left!!Both are right,just that one goes through Newton,the other around it but god knows what the tourists make of it.What I did find odd was under signs in some of the smaller towns were signs saying what the local Freemason`s lodge was called,er it`s supposed to be a "secret society",here at least.

Thread Information