Thread: 2006 Grand Challenge

Bike
    None any more

Cool 2006 Grand Challenge

Another Grand Challenge bites the dust. According to my new red patch, I have now ridden 3,000 miles in less than 72 hours. Three is definitely a trend. I guess I am now officially hooked on these endurance rides.

The worst part of a Grand Challenge is the expectation. The excitement builds exponentially in the days leading up to one. Friday, the ride-up-to-Turangi day, is just an appetizer for what is to come from the Saturday afternoon. And what an interesting day that was. Gales most of the way up, particularly exciting along the Himatangi straights, with the bike constantly canted over as if it was in some 20km-long right hand corner.

I stopped for a drink and snack at Bulls, and met Nibor who was also en route for Turangi, but in his case via Wanganui to meet up with some friends of his. I decided to take the well-worn track of SH1, but with a plan to detour via Ohakune if the winds were too strong over the Desert Road. They weren't, so I didn't. The temperature warmed steadily on my ascent of the Desert Road, with tar starting to visibly soften across the summit twisties.

The weather at Turangi was vastly superior to that which I had left, together with Mrs H, a few hours earlier in Wellington. After checking in at the motel, I was off down to the Cabin Ground for scrutineering and a chance to catch up with the Rusties and familiar fellow Challengers.

The FJR passed inspection easily – as it should have, with 11,000km on its clock and new Conti Road Attacks fore and aft.

After some dinner, I wandered back to the Cabin Ground kitchen to check out tomorrow's route. Goodness me, that looks interesting!

Leg 1: Turangi, Taumarunui, Ohura, Matiere, SH4, Mapiu, Aria, New Plymouth, Hawera.

Leg 2: Hawera, Wanganui, Fordell, Hunterville, Cheltenham, Ashhurst, Dannevirke, Wimbledon, Waipukurau (halfway).

Leg 3: Waipukurau, Napier, Taupo, Whakamaru, Benneydale, Te Kuiti.

Leg 4: Te Kuiti, Kihikihi, Putaruru, Ngongotaha, Te Ngae, SH30 to Awakeri.

Leg 5: Awakeri, Te Teko, Galatea, Murupara, Taupo, Turangi.

Those of you familiar with the Back Roads of the North Island may have noted the demanding nature of significant chunks of legs 1 and 2. Given too that for most riders (apart from the sprinters), everything beyond Hawera would be ridden in darkness. My group was about mid field, and didn't see daylight until Benneydale on Leg 3.

And the weather? The Word at the start was that it was raining in Taumarunui. On that basis I opted for wet weather gloves and added the cover to my tank bag. Apart from a few spits over the summit on SH41, the most notable weather feature on this leg was the strong blustery wind. The heavy overcast conditions also meant that it would be highly unlikely for the sun to reemerge that afternoon. So while my riding companions stopped for a gas top-up in Taumarunui, I removed my Polaroid clip-ons.

There was basically little wind again until south of Hawera. We encountered misty cloud from about Mt Messenger, which got a bit drizzlier as we rounded Mt Egmont and continued in similar vein until Wanganui.

At Hunterville the night was warm and calm. The wind built as we headed to Ashhurst, and we reencountered the dristy mizzle as we ascended Saddle Hill. On the eastern side of the hill it got quite wet for a spell, but by Dannevirke we had ridden through this and stars were starting to emerge in the heavens. The wind, however, returned, and was particularly blustery from Porongahau to Waipukurau.

The ride across the Bay was calm but cold. I suspect that the Bay may have been in for a frost on Sunday morning. Onto the Napier-Taupo road, and back comes the wind. This time very blustery and cold.

By Whakamaru the night was starting to lighten. By the Mangakino corner we were back into misty drizzle again, making the shiny-topped tar look particularly slippery. But as we approached the Te Kuiti checkpoint this had started to ease.

The weather across the Waikato was poxy, with patches of heavy drizzle. The ascent up the Mamakus was into very heavy cloud, with visibility down to about 25m. But once over the summit we were into a glorious Bay of Plenty day – sunny, light overcast cloud and little wind.

Apart from wind again from Murupara, the day remained fine for the return to Turangi.

I rode most of the way with Dawson (GS1200SS), Wayne (FJ1100) and Zapf (CB900 Hornet). We occasionally got separated but caught up with each other again at gas stops. Following Dawson and Wayne was an aural pleasure, as both of their bikes had been fitted with Kobe exhausts, Lovely. I think that my FJR may soon be paying a visit to Mr Neptune for its Christmas present.

Zapf had taken time to record the route onto his tablet and then download the file into his Garmin GPS. This was helpful, at times...

I have ordered my copy of the DVD and am greatly looking forward to it. The “story” of a Grand Challenge is a distinctly personal one. Riders from a vast diversity of backgrounds and experiences riding a wide range of bikes – and scooters – all customised to their needs for many hours in the saddle, all brought together by the Challenge that is Grand.

The one place a video camera was needed, there wasn't one. Having just completed the arduous stretch from Fordell to Hunterville, possibly blinded by the city lights, possibly relaxing at the prospect of some easier riding for a bit, maybe distracted by something in my peripheral vision, I ran too wide on a right-hander entering the township and bounded off across the grassed berm, slalomed through some cherry trees, leapt a couple of driveways and finally reemerged onto the road alongside Dawson who waved and tooted enthusiastically. The FJR1300 – the ultimate off-road machine! My initial thought after discovering my unplanned route was making a conscious decision not to touch the brakes. And then I thought “If Loris Capirossi can ride out of the kitty litter, I should be able to ride out of this!” Thank you Loris.

And a huge vote of thanks has to go to the organisational skills of those incredible folk known as the Rusty Nuts. Every year I have done the Challenge I have learned more about the incredible amount of work and thought that these folk contribute. Most of it unseen. You Rustys are amazing.

And thanks too to my riding buddies. You guys ride well and are great company. It was a privilege to ride with you.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post

The one place a video camera was needed, there wasn't one. Having just completed the arduous stretch from Fordell to Hunterville, possibly blinded by the city lights, possibly relaxing at the prospect of some easier riding for a bit, maybe distracted by something in my peripheral vision, I ran too wide on a right-hander entering the township and bounded off across the grassed berm, slalomed through some cherry trees, leapt a couple of driveways and finally reemerged onto the road alongside Dawson who waved and tooted enthusiastically. The FJR1300 – the ultimate off-road machine! My initial thought after discovering my unplanned route was making a conscious decision not to touch the brakes. And then I thought “If Loris Capirossi can ride out of the kitty litter, I should be able to ride out of this!” Thank you Loris.

Crikey!
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Crikey!
    Oh yeah. Mrs H has informed me that clearly my time wasn't up. Besides, I had a Grand Challenge to finish, now didn't I?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Kwakasaurus Z750s '05
    Any possible run of bad luck is now officially over

Nice ride!

Bike
    TF125

That does it!!!

I did the sprints this year after wanting to enter for the past 2, next year I am doing The Grand Challenge!. Yay, i just set a goal, Thanks Hitch.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUSDEMERITUS View Post
    I did the sprints this year after wanting to enter for the past 2, next year I am doing The Grand Challenge!. Yay, i just set a goal, Thanks Hitch.
    A GC is a bit different to the sprints, but congratulations on setting a goal.

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Hitcher the Hunterville Grass Track Champ
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...158#post789158
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    If you download the teaser from the Rusty Nuts site, Felix(Zapf) has got a 10 second slot in there yapping on about how his GPS is on the fritz. A star is born!
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    None any more
    I have it on authority that a second teaser is going up soon. I can't wait!

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayy View Post
    If you download the teaser from the Rusty Nuts site, Felix(Zapf) has got a 10 second slot in there yapping on about how his GPS is on the fritz. A star is born!
    haha... got me to order the DVD pronto all rite :P
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Thread Information