Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The '06 Greymouth Street Race Reports & discussion

Bike
    2013 Street Triple R

Cool The '06 Greymouth Street Race Reports & discussion

Rocked on over after a late night. Got to Greymouth about 1pm. Weather was OK, not raining but a little chilly. Awesome turnout of Kiwibikers.
    1. Cool Wheelie - have no idea who he is but I was impressed that I got the shot!
    2. Dangerous & Kickaha - good battle guys!
    3. Feral - great race mate - 5th!!
    4. Stanko
    5. TonyB, kickaha, Danderous & Stanko waiting for the warm up lap
    6. TonyB - such a tiny looking bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cool Wheelie.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	44406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dangerous & Kickaha.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	44407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feral.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	44408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanko.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	44409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TonyB, Kickaha, Dangerous & Stanko.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	44410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TonyB.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	44411  
    Last edited by Suzi Q; 22nd October 2006 at 20:18. Reason: change thread name
    A dog will do what you ask
    A cat will take a message and get back to you later

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    What are the yellow jackets for??

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!! View Post
    What are the yellow jackets for??
    ... they're special ... warns other racers to take a wide bearth ...
    ... you know it's a bit windy when you get passed by your own dust ...

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    it seems that the dangerous people must be wearing them??

Bike
    2013 Street Triple R
    yellow t shirts are for people who have not ridden at Greymouth Street Races before
    A dog will do what you ask
    A cat will take a message and get back to you later

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Flippen heck, that was a good day... but I'm rooted so I wll tell my story tomorow... stay tuned all... same bat chanel... same bat time
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Great day guys, well done to all - 400+ pics to sort through, got you all in there somewhere, but I've got an adventure ride to do tomorrow so may get the pics posted tomorrow night depnding how knackered I am.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans

Dangerous on the streets of Grey

Awesome, bloody awesome day people thanks to all those that I rode with and hanged out with.

The drive.
    Packed the truck up and loaded 4 bikes on board then headed for the hills saturday morning.
    The idea was to head to the Grey kart track for a play around but as we advanced on Bealey the wind turned to rain... west coast rain, bloody heavy and noisy. By the time we were in Otira the rain on the windscreen was becomming very mesmerising.
    Checked in to the motel then buggered off to scrutineering.Off to the pub for a beer then back to the motel with Joni, Kickaha, Rashika & Stanko for a hell of a feed.

The day.
    Woke up earlyish to the noise of the track being set up 6 floors below us. Wow all that fuss for us, and I was stoked to see the stars out, it was going to be a mint day after all.

The circut.
    I find street racing so much more demanding than the track due to the cambers, pot holes and so much more details along the course for the eyes to focus on, negotiating a corner thats hidden amoungst fencing, bails, cones, people, polls, buildings and gutters is not easy... but bloody hard work and fun.
    Turn 1: 90* right
    turn 2: 90* right
    turn 3: 90*left
    turn 4 90* right
    turn 5 a tight hair pin to the right
    slight kink to the left
    last corner involved a shicane very narrow entry and a 45* left with a right hand kink to the checkered.

Racing, MB bucket
    Must admit it was a good day for me with a 5th and 2x 4ths
    In the last race Kickaha was hanging around my tail end like a bad smell so I was doing over time to keep ahead, but coming up on the hairpin were all day I had been strugling with a pot hole/bump and loosing the front end tempory... the MB's front wheel slid and became airbourn, fuck I thought pleas land soon and regain controll... which it did after I sucked the seat right past the sphinkster mussle alowing Kick to take me on the inside.

Racing 750Katana
    Feeling rather sound on the road due to the weight of the old silver thing I was rather happy with it apart from the H/P bump and one on the 4th turn, I was finding the 16” front wheel was droping in rather hard.
    Finished up with a 3rd and 2x 4ths, stoked about that as I was with my bucket places... and ya know what? next year I wont have to wear that bloody ugly yellow T over the leathers, cos I'll be a greymouth pro.

Homeward bound
    load up gas up piss off, over wee hill into Canty and off ta bed.
    It was good to set up pits with all the other KBer's and F4 guys great company and great racing, I'll let them tell ya about their days events from wipe outs too wins.
    Stand by for heaps a pics, but heres my Greymouth trophy.

Name:	DSC01549GM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	44426  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    350LC
    The weather forecast was not good, but i said I was going and had paid the money so I was on my way Saturday morning. At kumara it turned to custard and I wondered what it would be like racing in the pouring rain.

Sunday morning rolled round and the signs were good , calm and no rain ( the locals had said it was supposed to be good Sunday) it was 5.30 am and a little army of people were building a track for us to play on.

We found a good place in the pits and set up camp with joni and Kickaha, Dangerous & Rashika, TonyB and Oyster parked in a circle to keep out the Indians.

If you had never been to Greymouth you got a yellow shirt and an extra 4 or 5 laps to get used to the circuit, which was bloody good.

Pre 82 37 bikes entered
    My LC was feeling good, with its new pipes and motox bars back on. Race 1 I finished behind Kickaha which I was pretty pleased with. Race 2 had a 3 bike prang which had a restart, I got a restart off the back row and finished somewhere in the last half, everyonone must have been in serious mode cos it was the hardest race of the 3.

Buckets 15 entered
    The bucket field was a bit smaller than the pre82 but just as competitive, I was getting good starts but would get swallowed by the fast guys before the first corner. The track was good to the buckets there were plenty of lines to try. Race 2 was when Diesel pig took out TonyB ,I went round the outside of DP but the gap was only about 600mm and closing and i thought I was gunna give him a wee bump but it didnt happen, finished somewhere.

Then all of a sudden it was over time to go home.

Thanks to Joni for feeding me, and the organisers and volounteers and friendly council that make events like this possible

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    ah sigh... well as i wasn't racing and at times was feeling sad and glad that i wasn't, all I can say is...

OUCH, sorry Stanko

I hate migraines

and I still had a pretty good day watching the guys and doing what I used to do and taking piccies
    Might post some up soon
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashika View Post
    OUCH, sorry Stanko
    Hey some one had to be

Just poached a couple of Rashika's pic's

1) F4 Flag drop
    2) that bastard still there
    3) post classic grid
    4) 1/4 ton of Kat
    race numbers in all pics are
    144 TonyB
    83 Kickaha
    57 Diesel Pig
    6 Dangerous
    88 stanko

Name:	IMG_3777.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	44436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3845.JPG 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	44437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3757.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	44438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3745.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	44439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3774.JPG 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	44440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3775.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	44441  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Awsome weekend apart from the ride on saturday....i have never ever ridden in rain that hard before..great weekend though all the same...

Name:	Picture 089.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	634.4 KB 
ID:	44460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 132.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	44461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 137.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	44466  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    BSA A10
    We get to Arthur’s pass and it was pissing down and I was glad I wasn’t one of the Harley riders that turned up in half face helmets and sun glasses a few minutes later

Booked in at the Motel and a few minutes later the phone goes and it’s reception wanting to know if we they can give our room number Dangerous, a brief discussion later and we decided to let him know, a few minutes chat and Him and Rashika bugger off and then we head off for scrutineering which is held in the Army hall, we breeze through that and then leave the bikes there for the night

Up early the next day and I go and drop the ute off in the pits to get a good spot, we head off to pick up the bikes and ferry them to the pits and the first crash of the day happens, between walking to the hall and riding back someone erects a fence across one of the roads, in the dawn light the wire is pretty much invisible and someone hits the brakes and drops a bike to avoid riding into it, with the bikes back in the pits I bugger off back for breakfast

I’m tapped out down McKay St when I have the big one, one minute I’m full noise and the next I’m rolling on the ground thinking fuck that hurt, I get to my feet and look around and it turns out I’m the second victim of a wire fence, it was lying on the ground waiting to be put up and I didn’t see while I was running across the road

At riders briefing the hand out the yellow shirts for the first time riders and even Jared Love gets to wear one, Dangerous is bitching about wearing his as he thinks it clashes with his paintwork

Bucket practice

The bike’s feeling good and the tracks dry, DC rockets past me on the MB/RS and then Steve Rae does the same, part of the track has been resealed and it looks like they’ve taken out a bit of the bump on turn 4 as well and I’m feeling reasonably happy with how it feels

Pre82

I’m not feeling as comfortable on the RD350LC as I normally do, there’s a little patter in the front onto the back straight and it’s getting light in the front onto the front straight, the tracks fairly point and squirt and the advantage in corner speed I enjoy at some other tracks wont come into play so much here

Race 1 Pre82

30+ bikes on the grid, so I get up front of the dummy grid and go out fast on the warm up lap and get a spot on the front row, I get swamped into Turn 1, with even Stanko beating me off the line, he’s to much of a gentleman into the first corner and I get that spot back, there’s some good riders in there and for the first lap I’m hanging in with the back of the front bunch and then they start pulling away and I’m left in no mans lands , luckily they’re only 4 lap races so I don’t have to wait to long for then final lap

Race1 Buckets

It a bit of a squeeze into turn one and I’m only bout 5th or 6th but I pick a couple off and get right in behind Dangerous on the second lap, the next few laps we’re hard out, his bike accelerates faster but I carry more corner speed, lap 3 and we see Andy Bowell off on turn one having tried a bit hard to put a pass on DC, I get alongside Dangerous a few times a few times but he beats me over the line by a bike length

Race 2 Pre82

Coming down the straight into turn 3 (the only left) and I see a bike sliding along the ground and whiles it’s sliding along it gets hit by another one, three bikes go down and the red flags are out, we head back to grid up and I find myself promoted to the front row, being on the front row doesn’t really help as the four strokes all smoke me off the line and after the usual turn one traffic jam is negotiated I’m hung out to dry after another few laps riding round by myself I pass another couple of riders who have managed to run off the track all by them selves and come into finish fuck knows where :spudwhat:

Race 2 Buckets

Just about a repeat of the first except I must just about get cock of the day award as the grid marshal opens the gate and I bolt out of it with Dangerous trying to follow, a few corners later I check behind and can’t see anyone, turns out he was opening it to allow people to cross the road and I jumped the gun a bit , we grid up and the flag drops and we’re off and I’m determined to give Dangerous a harder time, but as it turns out although I get a bit closer I don’t quite manage, into turn 1 I consider a pass as I’m on the inside but I play it safe and blouse out, out of the back corner and I carry the speed but unfortunately I’m on the outside and that’s not the place to be for the next corner, I’m faster onto the start finish but he still beats me by 2/3 of a bike , Diesel Pig provides a bit of entertainment for TonyB by falling on his arse in front of him and getting his bike run over by him

Race 3 Pre82

I decide to fuck about in this one and start further back, I pass Stanko up the inside into turn 1 as he gives me plenty of room then chase down a old TT600 Motard and then a Honda twin, then I run out of guys I can catch and have another lonely race

Race3 buckets

They grid us up off the back off the classic field and split the start, giving the classics less than a couple of hundred metres before they let us go, I'm chasing Dangerous yet again and giving him a even harder time than the last two races, I think he’s going to get away when he puts one of the a slower classics in between us but a corner later I get past as well, I’m getting alongside him but his superior acceleration lets him pull away off most corners, I’m already planning a move when he hands the place to me loosing the front onto the back straight and fairly shitting his pants in the process and I lead him to the line

A top event and don’t ask me where I got as I’m fucked if I know but it was a bloody great day

Thanks to Joni for organising, accomodation, booking the table for tea (great feed) and generally running around looking after me (and others) and Dangerous what a bloody great ride you put in on the Katana, most times I can give you a kicking but I wasn't even close on the day
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi Q View Post
    6. TonyB - such a tiny looking bike
    Well of course it looks tiny, I'm 7'1"
    My daughter telling me like it is:
    "There is an old man in your face daddy!"

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    We get to Arthur’s pass and it was pissing down and I was glad I wasn’t one of the Harley riders that turned up in half face helmets and sun glasses a few minutes later
    But mate... didnt they look so cool tho

I’m tapped out down McKay St when I have the big one, it turns out I’m the second victim of a wire fence
    HEY... ya kept that quite, bugger aye what damage did it do? is that why you were complaining about ya wrist?

Dangerous is bitching about wearing his as he thinks it clashes with his paintwork
    Not the paint work man... my hair :spudbn:

there’s a little patter in the front onto the back straight and it’s getting light in the front onto the front straight
    Its called a wheelie

I must just about get cock of the day award as the grid marshal opens the gate and I bolt out turns out he was opening it to allow people to cross the road and I jumped the gun a bit
    'just about' na kick... its yours.
    tell ya what tho the fuck wit of the day would be the dickless bird brain that flew past us in the truck just out of grey on a Aprila over yellow lines exceeding 100k in a 70k zone... with a "7-8yr old boy" wearing shorts and no gloves

I’m already planning a move when he hands the place to me loosing the front onto the back straight and fairly shitting his pants in the process and I lead him to the line
    'fairly shitting' hell think I stunk the town out... awesome racing

Dangerous what a bloody great ride you put in on the Katana, most times I can give you a kicking but I wasn't even close on the day
    Cheers man, Didnt get my nick from track riding
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information