Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotorua Road Trip on the ginnys...

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Good on you guys!! And special brownie points for doing it on GNs and in the CRAP weather of the weekend! (You mad buggers!)
    Mrs KD.

Bike
    Nothing, broke it, no $$ for a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar View Post
    Cat Fight!!!!
    LOL, no, the cats at the homestead are perfectly happy

I'm a pain in the @rse when I'm cold, wet, tired and hungry (I'm English, I'm a pain in the @rse most of the time if truth be told ) so the poor boy has a lot to put up with!

But the next time I see 'severe weather warning' on the metservice website, I'm going to listen to the little voice inside my head (mostly I try to ignore them...) that's telling me to stay home in the warm as opposed to the little voice outside my head telling me to 'come on, it'll be fine and you'll really enjoy it'! LOL

It is something to giggle about in hindsight tho and like a few people have said - after this trip, every other one will seem REALLY easy!
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Bike
    After this trip you may not want to upgrade the Ginny's!! The same trip on different bikes will seem a whole world different. The weather factor may have played a little influence too. The big thing here is, you've learned so on this trip that you wouldn't have learned pootling around town. Gas mileage on trips is very different, wet weather gear is not always what it claims, weather forecasts for different parts of the country are really different sometimes... and the cats can live without you for a day or two...
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Nothing, broke it, no $$ for a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by zuk View Post
    i,m pretty sure that it was me that passed you ,you pulled over just by the golf course ?
    i'd just made the same trip on the 800,might have been a little more comfortable tho,lol
    well done on the trip-been there,done that on a GN as well so know the feeling
    Nice blue bike with a cammo backpack on the back of it? Sorry if I startled you when I pulled out into the traffic just after the roundabout or held you up at all

It was a really funny moment when I realised you weren't Dave!
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Bike
    So old you won't care
    It never pays to be too destination oriented when riding - some days, some rides are just not meant to be. You need to ask yourself why are you doing this? Fun? Um....

Bail to a nice warm motel room, order up a bottle and relax...

Mind you - this is mr ride home at 1pm in the rain talking so wtf do I know?

Paul N

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Great ride report, judecatmad.

Welcome to KB, dhtnz.

Good on both of you for undertaking the ride on ginnies. I've ridden all sorts of bikes on long journeys and it's my opinion that you don't need a 600cc or larger bike to tour the countryside (though sometimes you have to work your plans around the limitations of your bike, like budgetting 2 days to take a 1954, 150cc Zundapp scooter up to Whangarei 2-up).

Lias frequently took his ginny to New Plymouth and back - often enough to demonstrate that the bike is reliable enough to clock up a lot of kms.

It's a bugger about the weather but you will look back on it fondly some day. I already look back on bloody-near freezing solid on Desert Road in the early hours of a sleety morning (and having metal bits snap off the CB360) with fondness and perhaps someday I'll come to look upon the long, painful ride from Palmerston North to Hamilton on my LS400 with fondness.

You've already found better ways to carry your gear than wearing a backpack (says the guy who spent four days riding the Zundapp to Whangarei and back wearing his backpack on his chest so his wife at the time could fit on the back of the bike).

You'll get good rides and bad rides, you'll learn what gear works best for you and the conditions you ride in, and you'll look back in years to come at the adventures you had and the lessons you learned and grin like bloody maniacs.

Happy riding!
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Thread Information