Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Peeved off

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by hellnback View Post

(and nothing hotter than a chick on a bike!)
    this is a very good point on which i must agree

Bike
    GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by kels View Post
    Hi ya fellow Angel
    Being a mum as well I too have had those kind of comments, don't let it faze you!
    I have not once regretted my decision to do this for me, it is the most selfish thing I have ever done in my life, it gives me complete freedom and I would do it all over again.

Me thinks it might be time for you to be looking for your new bike
    Thats the biggest thing... am I being selfish, I have three kids. But Ive never done anything for myself, and its well over due.
    " It appears that the website has become alive. This happens to computers and robots sometimes. Am I scared of a stupid computer? Please. The computer should be scared of me."

Bike
    GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    For sure, just bite the bullet and do it mate. The most important people in your life (your kids) think it would be cool by the sounds of things, and it's something you want to do, so go for it. Stuff what those negative people say, they sound jealous or like they have never experienced anything thrilling before.
    I can't lend you a small bike to learn on, but I will offer you a riding buddy (me) when you have your licence and something to ride and wanna go for a jaunt.
    Mrs KD.
    Thanks Mrs KD... I might take you up on that offer

Well I have some of the gear sorted out... thanks to you know who you are. And maybe a bike as well.
    " It appears that the website has become alive. This happens to computers and robots sometimes. Am I scared of a stupid computer? Please. The computer should be scared of me."

Bike
    GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGSXF View Post
    Go for it guurl!!! Don't give a flying f@#% what anyone else thinks.. it's YOUR life! You don't need anyone's permission or acceptance!

I'm a busy solo mum with 2 beautiful boys (4 & 10 1/2) & a student @ Polytech. My bike is my PASSION, my soul & my outlet! I NEED my bike & that's ALL that matters to me!! I am in my absolute PRIME in my leathers out on the open road.. sometimes it's enough to bring tears to my eyes to be out on a beautiful day with good friends all sharing the experience!!! I was riding when I was pregnant with both my boys, & my oldest son comes with me on the back.. has done since he was 5! he loves it as much as I do!

I WOULD definately reccomend doing a rider training course however. contact www.roadsafe.co.nz in Wellington & talk to Andrew & Lynne.. they're fantastic, & you'll learn heaps!

GO FOR IT!!!!!
    I have to say it again... its so cool so many Mums ride. I dont think this decision would be nearly as hard if I didnt have kids to think about. But I am going to go for it... I cant reply to everyone (although I could to get my post count up) but thanks everyone Watch this space.. I shall be riding soon.

Dover...if you dont want to get a 'top box' or 'rack' for you "king" maybe just a 'man bag' will do.. bring out your Feminine side?

Bike
    2002 BMW R1150GS Fat-Tank
    Just do it. Others in your family may follow. My good wife one day said she'd rather be riding than perched on the back. (Having last ridden a bike in 1980 - a Honda XL100 - she still has a full licence) I called her bluff and bought a CB400 for her and damn me, after a bit of a quiet start on closed roads at the weekend she's fine! The thing is, even though she is already licenced, she's really in the same boat as you, learning all over again. But you both have the "wisdom of years" or "fear of ridicule if you cock-up" so you're more likely to see or be aware of dangers and have a more finely honed sense of self preservation than a hormone filled 18 year old.

Plus there's nothing so visceral as a fang on a bike. You see more, smell more and feel so much more on a bike than in a closed vehicle. A tree-lined roadside throws you smells of pollen, flowers, rotting leaves, the open soil in the ploughed paddock behind them; you really live the season you're riding through. That's what Bert Munro meant when he said "I live more in ten minutes on my motorcycle than most people do in their entire lifetime".
    Nil Carborundum Illegitimi

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa
    Thats the biggest thing... am I being selfish, I have three kids. But Ive never done anything for myself, and its well over due.
    Not at all. Who are you - I mean, are you defined by what others allow you to do? Sometimes you need to do stuff you want to do. Just you. Not you as a mother, not you and wife, lover, rugby supporter or anything else.

Just you.

You might be unpopular for it - that's ok. Expect it, so when it comes you'll know you were right. No big deal. Others think different to do and that's a good thing. Not everyone likes me riding a bike (as father of 3 kids 7, 4, and 10 months) and that's fine. I simply don't visit them on the bike as I know it does't go down well.

They also know it doesn't go down well with me when they raise the subject of bikes being dangerous, then leaning over that line to state (orinfer) I shouldn't ride one.

WRONG. I can do what I like, taking the feeling of those I love and respect into reasonable consideration. But at the end of the day I make the final decision what I want to do, and what I don;t want to do because the cost is too high.

If you live the rest of your days following the guidelines of others you'll get to the end wondering what it was all about. Look at those you admire - whoever thay are.

I'll bet they've made some enemies along the way. Done something they wanted to do at the expense of smooth sailin in their relationships. I know a number of people that're unpopular with their partners for hanging out/meeting with people from KB. For very little reason apart from them have "unknown freinds". There's a lot of insecurity and misunderstanding out there.

Don't buy into it, don;t bow and scrape to it. Respect it, and start to change it. It'll be hard on both sides, but see KeyStone19's post. It usually works out ok in the end.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    Dover...if you dont want to get a 'top box' or 'rack' for you "king" maybe just a 'man bag' will do.. bring out your Feminine side?
    Maurice would love that.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    ex rider
    Dover's feminine side doesnt need "bringing out", there is another term used in common language for the direction in which he needs to move and it involves a certain item of furniture/fixtures usually associated with the bedroom.

At least that is what I have been led to belive from the others posting with reference to him.

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Well I have some of the gear sorted out... thanks to you know who you are. And maybe a bike as well.

Sweet Just get out there & ride, you'll have all the doubters wondering why you've always got that smile.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Motorcycling is a dangerous and selfish pastime - erm hobby - um ok addiction. You have to reognise that! Sorry - sometime in your riding life you will get hurt and it will cost you $$.....

So... If you are going to let a few pissant comments stop you now, you may be better off not starting because trust me, it's something you either have to do or perhaps you shouldn't be doing it. If you are doing this just to 'show them' it's probably a bad idea but.... I know from the first time I twisted the throttle on a proper bike there was no going back.... colours are brighter, the sky is bluer and my cares shrink to the fuzzy funnel in front of me - it's like a drug....

Just my opinion. I don't judge either way but it's just one of those 'things' but like everything - the universe demands you pay a price..... no bitching when the bill arrives (yeah well ok, I moan here plenty too)

;-)

Let me know if I can be of any help

Paul N

There will always be people who have negative crap to throw at others dreams... if this is something you want, then rise above the negative and find the solution. Dont just talk about it, do it.

Up, up and away

I dont know how old you are, but I know a lady in auckland, she is in her mid fifties, a grandmother and had never been on a bike, but had the dream like you do, she saw me on my bike at the shops and came up to me and asked if I could help her by directing her to someone who can help... she is now on her little gn250 zipping around Henderson... I have so much repsect for her. everyone thought she was mad... but she knew what she wanted and now she is living the dream. You have a great resource right here on KB... we will support you as you step up towards what you want.

GO FOR IT!!!

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    You see more, smell more and feel so much more on a bike than in a closed vehicle. A tree-lined roadside throws you smells of pollen, flowers, rotting leaves, the open soil in the ploughed paddock behind them; you really live the season you're riding through. That's what Bert Munro meant when he said "I live more in ten minutes on my motorcycle than most people do in their entire lifetime".

yeeeferkinhaaaaa dude!! you're onto it!! as was Bert!!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Then it's about time you did do something for yourself! I have three kids and Mums need a life too. I have been riding on the road since I was 15 and kept on riding through my pregnancies until I couldnt fit behind the tank anymore.

Now my kids are getting bigger I have taken up racing! Kids think it's really cool and I even have my Grandmother's blessing, which is important to me.

Stick to your guns and make it happen! You wont look back once you're on the two wheels of freedom!
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    i'm a mother
    and a grandmother

as i see it, my duty to my heirs is to give them a good example of a life well-lived ..... sure 'duty' comes into that, but we are each individuals irrespective of gender or age and we have a responsibility to ourselves too ..... the universe has no place for 'doormats' [besides which, they are BORING! ]

been riding a long time - as with anything else slightly different from the 'norm' you will always get people whose ambition is to pour cold water on your dreams

when it comes down to it, whose life is it anyway? - yours
    and how many do you get? - just the one

it's much more fun trying to live up to your own expectations of yourself than it is to browbeat yourself into conforming to what other people expect you to be

good luck with it!!
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    man, there's a lot of bitches out of the kitchen today.......

Thread Information