Thread: Help- South Islanders

Bike
    1995 Honda VF750R\

Help- South Islanders

I currently ride a 06 BMW R1200GS and am intending on touring as much of the South Island as possable this coming summer.
    I was intending on riding the Acheron Road through the Molesworth Farm Park however this is closed until after christmas.
    Has anyone done the Hamner - Rainbow Road (from St Arnaud to Hanmer Springs) and would it be possable to do on the BMer. I note that the brochure from DOC recomends a 4 wheel drive with high ground clearance.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    youl be right mate, whats the worst that can happen.......freeze to death

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    The GS is built for that kind of road.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Hoult View Post
    I currently ride a 06 BMW R1200GS and am intending on touring as much of the South Island as possable this coming summer.
    I was intending on riding the Acheron Road through the Molesworth Farm Park however this is closed until after christmas.
    Has anyone done the Hamner - Rainbow Road (from St Arnaud to Hanmer Springs) and would it be possable to do on the BMer. I note that the brochure from DOC recomends a 4 wheel drive with high ground clearance.
    It is really a pretty decient gravel road. The wheel tracks can be somewhat deep and the road corriguated depending on when last graded. The GS will breeze through. I've been through about 6 times. Apparently at the moment there is a big slip though. Check out this thread and talk to Far Queue re a contact.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36339

Cheers
    R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Sold
    An 06 BMW1200GS! When are you going to be in our neck of the woods?
    IE: The Waitaki Valley. Cheers John.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    An 06 BMW1200GS! When are you going to be in our neck of the woods?
    IE: The Waitaki Valley. Cheers John.
    I'd watch out for John. He is after a 1200GS owner guinne pig for a awsome looking ride.

R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    I'd watch out for John. He is after a 1200GS owner guinne pig for a awsome looking ride.

R
    Well if his TransAlp can do it, I'll take the Strom through on road tyres. So it'll be no big deal for GS either.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    In that case I'll sell my Sporty 'S' to Ixion and he can put knobblies on it and go with you....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    In that case I'll sell my Sporty 'S' to Ixion and he can put knobblies on it and go with you....
    Your old sporty would just about do it too in summer time. I've had my old GS1200SS into part of that area (the Omarama side), and although I had to watch the ground clearance it wasn't difficult riding. I didn't try the river crossing though.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Well if his TransAlp can do it, I'll take the Strom through on road tyres. So it'll be no big deal for GS either.
    Hopefully you will get your chance if we can organise a day with the river at a suitable level and the tops dried out a bit.
    We want it to be an enjoyable ride not a bloody super challenge or a contest.
    Unless of course enough want it to be contest but I wont be in it for that.(chicken John )
    It has snowed again today so we might have to do it in the winter when it's frozen, that would be interesting on your road tyres Jantar! (lol) Cheers John.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post

R
    (lol)There is an element of truth in that assertion cooneyr but cross my heart it's not with devious intent.
    Pete_Hoult did make a request for "help", I'm just being helpfull. Cheers John.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    It has snowed again today so we might have to do it in the winter when it's frozen, that would be interesting on your road tyres Jantar! (lol) Cheers John.
    Have a look at the photos I just posted on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...369#post817369
    I might have to fit snow tyres for summer riding if this keeps up.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Have a look at the photos I just posted on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...369#post817369
    I might have to fit snow tyres for summer riding if this keeps up.
    Yes, I saw them, it was like that quite low down toward the East Coast too when we came home tonight, looking over toward Waimate (elephant Hill) all the hills were just coated in a white blanket! It was the same up the valley too.
    My brother in law went back to Queenstown over the Lindis and the Crown Range late this afternoon (4x4 cage) and while it was snowing quite hard, it was not settling on the road. At least while he was crossing. Cheers John.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    (lol)There is an element of truth in that assertion cooneyr but cross my heart it's not with devious intent.
    Pete_Hoult did make a request for "help", I'm just being helpfull. Cheers John.
    Thats where the awsome came in. No devious intent taken or meant. Hoping I can get down there to meet you and have a look around someday. I'm from Greys Corner way back if you know the place? Want to explore round the area some more some time. Been into chinamans hut (what we called it anyway) from Danseys many times.

Cheers
    R

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Hoult View Post
    The high ground clearance bit is because there will be rocks on the road.
    Not a problem for a bike though - even a road bike.

Thread Information