Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Suzuki SV650 Naked -Dr jeckle and mr hyde

Bike
    Honda PC800

2004 Suzuki SV650 Naked -Dr jeckle and mr hyde

I must say my introduction to the sv650 was pretty fast.I had 30 seconds to figure it out before a mad dash from Whangaparoa to Autobahn Papakura.
    Keeping in mind this bike was being run in so I was restricted to bursts up to 9000 rpm.
    My initial impression was of lightning quick steering superb stiff chasis and an awsome spread of power.This bike for sure will make a fantastic commuter.The instruments were easy to read with a normal tacho and a digital speedo.Mirrors were perfectly positioned and fuzz free
    Arriving at the Autobahn I discovered Id missed the group of riders I was going to hook up with for a decent test ride.
    Luckily 2 of the more radical riders were also late and knew where everybody was heading.
    The following half hour ride will go down in my books as one of the most frustrating and downright frightening I have ever had on a motorcycle.
    The pace came up as we left the main highway and the deficiencies of the setup became screamingly clear (that was me doing the screaming)
    First it would snap into a corner faster and harder than I anticipated then it would bottom out and throw us wide.Sometimes it would bump steer off of small bumps and others it would shake its head like it wanted rid of me.
    Ariving at Kaiawa I had a chance to look the bike over.
    There were some um glaring set up problems that with a lot of help I managed to fix with the bikes toolkitand a 12mm ratchet.I t seems some brightspark haddnt checked the tyre pressures in the predelivery and had the bright idea that sliding the forks 75mm through the tripple clamps wont affect handling one iota.That in combination with an over preloaded rear shock made things a tadd interesting.
    With the arrival of the main group we all set out at a reasonable pace up the coast and what a different bike.A complete transformation.
    I instantly felt at home as soon as we headed off.
    The motor was responsive and punchy right up to my running in imposed redline of 9500 rpm (the real redline is a few thousand rpm higher)
    Aiming at a set of bumps I discovered that the front forks are still very soft but managable.
    Chasing the faster group of riders I found that I could simply point and shoot with the lovely spread of power pulling the bike back upright.
    If I overcooked a corner no problemo-just squeeze on those lovely 4 piston front brakes and she came to a total stop well short of where i thought i'd end up.
    The riding position was neutral but I found I almost adopted a supermoto type riding style -Elbow out and knee well forward and out.
    Throttle response was instant and caught me out a few times with me hobby horsing in some of the corners i wasn't so familiar with.
    The tyres never gave me reason to doubt them. Never once even hinting they would let go.
    After a break to cool the bike down a bit we headed down one of my favorite roads.I headed off last thinking-lets see what she can do.
    What she did was put a huge silly grin on my face.
    This bike for sure rewards spirited but smooth riding.Catching and passing other riders I found myself able to apply power at almost any angle of lean and she would leap forward. One or two headshakes on some of the nastier bumps reminded me she still had a soft front end. I ended up following the fastest rider in our group and the bike indicated with a bit more setup that on that road she would have no problems keeping up.-Just a not so good rider holding her back.
    I finished the day grinning like a cheshire cat Having had a barrel of fun.
    Not a hint of the dreaded numb bum showed how good the seat was.
    The ride to return the bike to the by now slightly worried owner was a touch on the cold and windy side but again the bike performed faultlessly and the 7" round headlight was superb
    Would I own one -No but only because Ive got a buggered neck and can't handle the wind.
    But would I own its almost identical brother with a fairing -
    Hell Yea -In an instant.
    Pros --well there are so many
    Fantastic spread of power from very low down
    Superb tight chasis.
    Modern brakes that stop on a dime.
    narrow in the beam
    easy OHH so easy to ride.
    well padded seat
    The deepest blue paint job
    Cons
    those horrible soft forks -tsk tsk mr suzuki what were you thinking
    No fairing--A personal thing but my back and shoulders ached after riding the sv
    Possibly once the forks are sorted the back shock might seem over soft and fade away then again Maybee not
    Anyways a nice bike and I can see why theyre winning races in F3 and giving the 600 multi's a good run for their money in F2.
    Im at the moment trying to figure out a way to grease a ride on this bike once its fully run in -if its this good only able to go to 9500 what will she be like able to rev to redline
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    has anyone got a faired version?
    Id bee keen to hear what ya think of it
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    if no one in NZ then I found this site

www.sv650.org

go figure theres a web site for just about anything
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    has anyone got a faired version?
    Id bee keen to hear what ya think of it
    Your wish is my command!
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    well padded seat
    Really? Did it have a gel seat fitted? If I have a complaint (aside from the finish could be better), it is the seat is too thin and uncomfortable.

Try doing a 'tank emptying' run on one - and you'll be walking like John Wayne!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I did that bob--ran her basicly half a day non stop.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Here's a sexy example I think you'll agree Frosty.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    heck yea -that is one sexy beast

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Really? Did it have a gel seat fitted? If I have a complaint (aside from the finish could be better), it is the seat is too thin and uncomfortable.

Try doing a 'tank emptying' run on one - and you'll be walking like John Wayne!
    I found the seat made my arse numb on medium to long rides too...amazing to say that the RSVR was more comfortable to tour on than the SV.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I guess Ive come from an era of seats like concrete blocks.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    SV has the least plush saddle I've ever suffered!

Seeing that photo - does the faired SV come like that as standard in NZ? It just comes with the top fairing over here.

I'd love to get the full fairing fitted, but that would increase my insurance premiums, as it is a modification!

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    I`d say from the rear "mudguard" that`s a German market model,very sloppy parking as well.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Excelent write up Frosty!

I am surprised that you didn't mention how vunrable the paint work is for getting stone chips for no reason!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    keeping in mind that the owner of said bike is on this forum I'm hoping she wont figure out how close behind you I had to be -and um how fast we had to be going
    I will figure uot where that stone shooting bazooka on your bike is and reverse it so it shoots you in the leg.
    Shit some of those stones hurt.
    Mind you at the time I had bigger problems --Like keeping the bucking bronco on track.
    Good spotting on the fork thing

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    ok ...so who is brave enough to spill the beans? Like I wouldnt have guessed as I know how fast MR goes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information