Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland -> Whangamata, learner/250 friendly?

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14

Auckland -> Whangamata, learner/250 friendly?

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone has done this route on a 250/learner/restricted and how it was?

I go to whangamata every other weekend as my parents have a beach house I leech off of them, but never done it solo/on my bike. My only long riding experience is a round trip from auckland -> maraetai -> auckland.

How are the roads for a light bike such as a 250, and are they, er, inexperienced-friendly?

Thanks a lot!

Bike
    suzuki, 1996, gsxr750
    just go for it, its a great ride no matter your experence leavel (even enjoy it in the truck) take it easy first time and you will do it any chance you get.

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Just travel it nice and easy! I took my two fiddy down to Wellington and back easy peasy!

This Friday past, I decided to eat at Subways in Whangarei and blatted up and once the meatball sub was scoffed, I blatted back down to Auckies!

Check your machine over, make sure tyre pressures are correct - all the lights, horn and bits and bobs are shipshape. Carry some cash and you are set! Enjoy the ride and make sure you do it safely!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Sounds good, I might just give it a go!
    I have some free time so I was thinking of going during the week to avoid weekend traffic, so hopefully I'll be able to take it in strides without pissing anyone behind me off.

Are there any known roads I should watch out for while riding down whangamata?

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    All roads you need to watch out for! Don't worry too much about them, ride to the conditions - if you see road signs up saying "30" or "New Seal" or such like, pay attention - slow down and as a certain book says "Don't Panic!"

Just enjoy the ride! Pay attention to your riding and if you start to drift off in your thoughts e.g. "Must remember to get some milk" slap your helmet and wake up! Or pull over and take a break, reflect on what you've done right "Hmmm, saw that car about to do something stupid" and definitely resolve to do better on those iffy calls "I guess I shouldn't have overtaken on that blind, uphill lefthander"

Damn, just typing this makes me wanna go out and riddddeeeeee! But I just got a call from my olds - don't have to turn up to help them out in the shop...yet! But still unable to go for a blat! Go for a ride for me!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I've doen it many times on 125s. 4 bhp no less. No problems (mind you part of it was gravel then, ichabod).

250 is fine, just take your time.

Modern 250 has as much power as a 500 from the 60s.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    06 GT250R Electric Mango
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Modern 250 has as much power as a 500 from the 60s.
    You havent riden a Ginny then

Zeocen I be interested in the ride one weekend as I have a few mates that live down that way. One owns the local ICAFE.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone has done this route on a 250/learner/restricted and how it was?

I go to whangamata every other weekend as my parents have a beach house I leech off of them, but never done it solo/on my bike. My only long riding experience is a round trip from auckland -> maraetai -> auckland.

How are the roads for a light bike such as a 250, and are they, er, inexperienced-friendly?

Thanks a lot!
    Man if you went from Auck to Kaiaua to Kopu over the hill to Hikuai to Whanga on a 250 you would be experiencing some of the best the Nth Island has to offer and do it with as much fun anyone on this forum could do it. Go for it. Crikey you shouldn't have to ask us

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Fub@r View Post

Zeocen I be interested in the ride one weekend as I have a few mates that live down that way. One owns the local ICAFE.
    Oh really, awesome!
    I'd be keen, I'm having some engine troubles at the moment I think, some tackling rattle sound coming from it - not sure what it is but it's worrying me a bit, hope it's nothing expensive.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Fub@r View Post

You haven't ridden a M2O then?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    06 GT250R Electric Mango
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    You haven't ridden a M2O then?
    Fair call

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Go for it mate! Dont get cocky with your cornering, but at the same time dont be too timid if that makes sense?

My first 'big' trips alone on my bike were North Shore -> Thames, and North Shore -> Mangawhai, both about the same distance just that the Mangawhai road is more like the roads over the hill to the other side of coro (the short way)

I'll be heading down there sometime on my R6 to chill with my mates after exams on the 13th of November.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    2007 ER 6N
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Just travel it nice and easy! I took my two fiddy down to Wellington and back easy peasy!

This Friday past, I decided to eat at Subways in Whangarei and blatted up and once the meatball sub was scoffed, I blatted back down to Auckies!

Check your machine over, make sure tyre pressures are correct - all the lights, horn and bits and bobs are shipshape. Carry some cash and you are set! Enjoy the ride and make sure you do it safely!
    Next time you do one of these, flick me a PM. Might be keen. Need the practise.
    ]

Bike
    04 GSX 250
    Sounds like a good ride,Ive only done it in a car.go for gold

Bike
    '08 DR650
    if you're going over the hills just past thames watch for the couple of corners where it says uneven surface... apart from them its a great ride im going back down in a couple of weeks

Thread Information