Thread: Moto Guzzi California Stone 2002

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Moto Guzzi California Stone 2002

When I was 21 in 2005 I bought a 2002 Moto Guzzi California Stone, first registered in 2004 with just 1,554 miles on the clock, still in warranty for just 2950GBP (about $6k NZD)!! Granted, it was just the Stone basic model with no equipment at all but it was an absolute steal. I always had quite a mature taste in motorcycles given my age and lusted after Laverda SFCs, 850S Americas and Velocette Venom Thruxtons rather than the latest rice rockets. The Guzzi appealed because of the spec sheet, the styling, a shaftie cruiser, with mechanical similarity to its classic predecessors, and I fancied a go on something a bit...unusual/rare-ish.
    There's a myriad of Cali models out there. I wanted the 2002 because it was the last of the old school, push rod big blocks before the ill-fated 2003 hydraulic heads. Brembo brakes, Lafraconi pipes, Siemens loom, Magnetti Marelli EFI, Borrani rims, Veglia instruments, Marzocchi forks, Sachs shocks...oozing in quality components and the build quality post-1997 Aprilia takeover was on the up. Mate all that to a Tonti frame and you�ve got a sweet, sweet steering bike. And that ENGINE!
    The only let down with the Stone (and to mention it, the Jackal) is although using quality Brembo kit, the front brake is a single item. Stopping is still ample by cruiser standards. This was something dead easy to upgrade as the fork leg still has lugs to take a second caliper and the wheel hub can mount a second disc! Either find a parts bike, or use the bits straight off a late 90's Duke or RSV. These iconic superbikes use exactly the same brakes.
    All other Guzzi Calis, (Aluminium, Titanium, Titanium Sport, EV...) all have the amazing superbike-esque twin 320mm Goldline Brembos as standard.
    Maintennace is easy peasy and it's dead easy to work on. Design is antiquated, but that's because they got it right first time 40 years ago! I would say the design is basically better than a Beemer boxer twin, but the execution is better on beemers. Tuning is easy - although Guzzi claim 70bhp, actual power at the wheel is about 61bhp -adding straight through Mistrals, catalyst replaced by a balance pipe, air box mod and k&n installed saw 67bhp and more midrange grunt than you could shake a shitty stick at! Then came a Power Commander and a custom map made on the dyno with an output of 72bhp and an addictively grunty midrange delivery. Economy is 50mpg round town and 60mpg cruising at 60mph. Blasts upto the imperial ton with ease but from there its bit of a struggle. Top whack with panniers and passenger was an indicated (whatever that means) 127mph. Single, no panniers...127mph. The bike may have been slightly undergeared post tuning. (All on a closed, private section of road, honest, Officer) This is backed up by the fact it would easy beat the average rider on a superbike upto 40mph in the traffic light grand prix. These days with TC and launch control that wouldn't be the case. But a grunty midrange, a bit of weight for a bit more traction and the low centre of gravity/long wheelbase really help you stick it under load. And the NOISE.
    Handling isn't light but centre of gravity is low and it points where you stick it. It doesn't wallow. It ain't soft, it ain't hard. It soaks up bumps but still handles. You can't flick it from side to side like an RGV but it's stable and confidence inspiring in a good way. Neutral. And the wide handlebars help to overcome handling hesitancy by increasing the leverage with any effort applied. Ground clearance is pretty good. I have scraped the footpegs but you'll be having way more fun that your H-D riding mates when it happens.
    Odd gearchange not for everybody, but it's not a BAD thing. Owners don't mind it. Gear changes just have to be...deliberate. And when a ratio is engaged you get a reasuring "thock". It actually adds to that solid feeling of the bike. The effort required to swap ratios is lessened by the toe/heel rocker lever. Once you get used to it, you'll think that the gearboxes on your mate's bike seems rather vague and unassuring, so light in comparison. The novelty of being able to wear sandals on your bike and still change gear (you're always knocking the rocker lever downwards) never wears thin. Unless it snows. Or you crash.
    The engine. THE Engine. THE ENGINE. Great. Just great. Grunt everywhere. Not as lethargic as other cruisers. Definately a classic Guzzi feel about it. I�ve ridden the new Griso, V7 and the 1400 Cali (thankyou classic bike racing festival) but they don't FEEL like this engine. I've ridden an old '74 T3 and this engine feels closer to that. Incredible. I suspect the new Guzzi lumps have been modernised/sanitised for wider market appeal and they're the worse for it. If only other manufacturers could do something similar maybe Triumph could make a Bonnie that wasn't as boring as cow turd.
    And you know that lurch to the right when the crank spins up? Hilarious. Why would you want to balance it out? When the transmission is engaged all those extra rotating bits help to counter rotate and cancel it out so on the move it doesn�t affect you that much. -Just when you blip the throttle in the pub car park to your mates wonderment.
    Comfort. Great.
    2006 - 8000 miles in 6 weeks around Europe. 17 countries.
    2007 - circumnavigation of Britiain
    2008 - Germany and back.
    No comfy saddle fitted. No highway pegs. No screen (I removed it because it rattled loudly). I used Hepco & Becker panniers and sissy bar/luggage rack for the lady passenger. Baglux leather tank cover and tank bag. Done. It's a proven tourer in the old school sense. What more do you need than a low maintenance, comfortable shaftie to be a proper tourer? Heated grips, heated saddle, handguards, adjustable seat, extra lighting, GPS socket, cruise control...nope. And I don't care that it doesn't have these features. (Quality of Guzzi optional screens and centre stands are crap yet hideously expensive! Luggage is Hepco & Becker as standard which is good).
    I sold this bike in 2010 after 5 years. Bike had 39k miles (that's 12k kms per year). Not found a bike to really take its place in my heart. VFR 750, 1500 Vulcan Classic, SV1000 just haven't done it. I don't believe in owning the same bike twice as there's a lot of variety out there. But I might have to scratch that itch.
    The BAD BITS.
    -Quality of paintwork is appalling. Fenders are not painted internally, only primered.
    -Wheel rims rust in the UK salt-laden winter. Not a problem in NZ.
    -Every 1500 miles you need to do a walk around and tighten some bolts (I replaced nuts with 316 nylocs to eliminate this requirement).
    -Oh yeah, if you get a pre-2004 model the fuel caps have a plastic seal that can warp and get stuck closed (plastic and fuel don�t mix). I had to strip the cap and file the plastic down twice.
    -If you get a 2003/4 model, (the first of the non-pushrod engines) make sure the warranty work has been done or it has sufficiently high mileage on it to prove it�s sound.
    -The starter motor on 2004 onward bikes have the Bosch starter motors from the V11. Much better.
    The PLUS POINTS.
    -Unltimately they're indestructible. There might be a niggle or two over time, but easily sussed. Will outlast your dad's Volvo, as the main points (engine, g'box, frame) are over engineered. Met an Italian who claimed 380k kms on his '84 example. Over time he had different wheels, forks, seat, brakes, headlight, fueltank, bodywork. Engine still went well, though! And the 80's were not kind to Guzzi build quality anyway.
    -CHARACTER!love the transverse vibes.
    -Handling.
    -Sound!
    -Go.
    -Stop(ish). Even more so with the testicle crushing twin stoppers of the non-Stone/Jackal varieties.
    -Rarity. Aftermarket tuning and customisation is rife despite the rarity.
    -A brilliant enthusiast following and club support (club GB).
    -Comfortable.
    -Economical.
    -More fun than your pipe and slippers R1100R. But cheaper, more comfortable, faster, better stopping, better handling, cooler, more character, shaftie, better economy than a Harley. But kinda the best of both, I think. And Italian.

Stuart Mudd

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    I had one of the first 3 Cali 1100's in NZ (1995) carb'd model... (and a Spada previously)...

Your so right that ENGINE!! (a few USA mag's placed the Cali 1100 as the 'best HD' on the market) Some struggle with the linked brakes, but once used to them? Had a pushrod 'collapse' inside a few thou km, oh and the usual starter motor positive lead replaced and upgraded. Otherwise, nothing went wrong with the bike. Finish was good ('Amazing' for Guzzi)
    The full Cali (panniers/screen) footboards that 'worked' was an absolute pleasure to ride a distance on. My wife and I did 600km's round central Otago one Sunday, she wasnt a 'full time pillion' and even her arse wasnt sore. Had a mate with an 850 lemon... up to a fair rate of quickosity the Cali didnt lose out, and was actually better on top gear roll on, much to his chagrin.
    Outhandled ANY of the (current then) cruisers, outbraked, out accelerated, out top speeded(not really a bothering stat in the cruiser market). I only got rid of it as after the marriage dissolved I met a woman who 'hated' the Guzzi (plank) suspension,,, she wanted a softer ride, so I stupidly PX'd it for a Kwaka Vulcan 1500C.. Should have PX'd her for another model.

A little sad to read the Cali 1400 doesnt have the same 'feel' of the old versions, great shame, as it's one of the things I love about my current bike... (for 4 cyl riders, it shakes like a bastard) Cali 1400, Norge, Stelvio or a Thunderbird storm look like the highest contenders when the time comes to sell on the MT.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike

agreed

interesting there weren't any Cali's before '95 in NZ? (I'm a newcomer to these shores).
    The modern Calis from the era of Cali I'm talking about didn't have linked brakes, other than the EV. By all accounts, it actually works really well!
    I'm glad yours didn't rust to pieces. As I was riding all year round in a country that gets properly cold, the road salt eats the bike. This isn't a consideration here.
    I'm not surprised the Cali showed the Lemon a thing or two. Handling is on a par. Similar output but the Cali makes more torque through more range. The Lemon does peak higher, tough.

Great bike.
    Oh, and although the 1400 doesn't feel like my 1100 Cali, it's pretty darn good. It still has a Guzzi-ish feel. It's just the Cali 2.0 and you can see where the money goes. If I was in the market for a Trumpy T'Bird or V-Rod you'd be foolish not try one out for size. It performs that well AND, despite it appears as bit of a juggernaut, handles surprisingly well. As good as the Trumpy, or better (And as always, better than the H-D).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by smmudd83_1999 View Post
    interesting there weren't any Cali's before '95 in NZ? (I'm a newcomer to these shores).
    The modern Calis from the era of Cali I'm talking about didn't have linked brakes, other than the EV. By all accounts, it actually works really well!
    I'm glad yours didn't rust to pieces. As I was riding all year round in a country that gets properly cold, the road salt eats the bike. This isn't a consideration here.
    I'm not surprised the Cali showed the Lemon a thing or two. Handling is on a par. Similar output but the Cali makes more torque through more range. The Lemon does peak higher, tough.

Great bike.
    Oh, and although the 1400 doesn't feel like my 1100 Cali, it's pretty darn good. It still has a Guzzi-ish feel. It's just the Cali 2.0 and you can see where the money goes. If I was in the market for a Trumpy T'Bird or V-Rod you'd be foolish not try one out for size. It performs that well AND, despite it appears as bit of a juggernaut, handles surprisingly well. As good as the Trumpy, or better (And as always, better than the H-D).
    There were a few of the previous model Cali 1000's around..
    I traded a BMW GS100 (frame outside the nose fairing model) for it. It was ordered in 1994, arrived a year later. I'm not sure if this was due to the importer? Or simply that NZ was not a high priority for stock? Interestingly it came with a spare set of main jets, which were needed as it ran a bit 'lean' from purchase. I lived in Invercargill back then and bought it in Dunedin (BMW dealer who has since 'gone') So had a great ride home to get a feel for her. Yes the linked brakes work very well, even under hard use the bike just 'squatted down' rather the the usual 'front end dive', although that did happen more when using the front brake as well... (linked brake was 1 front disc and the rear, handlebar lever operated both front discs).

Cheers for the 'headsup' on the 1400, not easy to find someone 'over here' who has ridden one. (V-rod, not an option). Now IF Guzzi were to put the 1400 in the Norge???
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    -If you get a 2003/4 model, (the first of the non-pushrod engines) make sure the warranty work has been done or it has sufficiently high mileage on it to prove it�s sound.
    Great write up thanks for sharing Have to ask though, what Cali is a "non-pushrod" engine? In my mind they're all pushrod apart from the sporty Daytonas (which technically still have short pushrods).

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike

heads

sure. They don't have overhead cams, the cam is down low and cam movement transmitted to the rockers in the head via pushrods. In 2003 for some models, and 2004 for other models (I don't know which) Guzzi went to hydraulic operated heads, rather than transmitting the movement utilising a solid steel rod. I believe the castings for the engine are BASICALLY the same with some mods, as the pushrod tubes now just hold fluid. The first production runs had issues. There was a factory fix offered by Guzzi, but not many NZ dealers seemed to be interested in the warranty work (probably due to argumanets over who pays for what). My gut feeling is if you buy an example with over 30k kms on it, then it's probably OK as problems would have surfaced early. Or ask for some service history. It's an expensive fix, though I don't know EXACTLY what the issue was.

Bike
    sure. They don't have overhead cams, the cam is down low and cam movement transmitted to the rockers in the head via pushrods. In 2003 for some models, and 2004 for other models (I don't know which) Guzzi went to hydraulic operated heads, rather than transmitting the movement utilising a solid steel rod. I believe the castings for the engine are BASICALLY the same with some mods, as the pushrod tubes now just hold fluid. The first production runs had issues. There was a factory fix offered by Guzzi, but not many NZ dealers seemed to be interested in the warranty work (probably due to argumanets over who pays for what). My gut feeling is if you buy an example with over 30k kms on it, then it's probably OK as problems would have surfaced early. Or ask for some service history. It's an expensive fix, though I don't know EXACTLY what the issue was.
    I was looking seriously at an 8 valve Norge, as the 1000miler has given me the distance bug again.
    There was an issue with the tappet rockers/lifters on ALL the 4 valve head models. Seems the metal wasnt hardened properly and wore rapidly on some bikes. There was discussion in the MGOG about whether short rides/commuting accelerated the wear, as some bikes seem OK, some took a long time, other had the heads done 2-3 times in quick succession.
    Guzzi have changed the system to rollers now it seems, and there is an EXPENSIVE mod done to the afflicted heads, but there may still be issues with the last batches of the old type.... they are watching to find out as the miles get put on them. Having dealt with the then NZ Guzzi importers back in the 90's, I would wait till the new heads are proven.
    The 'high cam' model you are referring to is fitted to the Cali 1400. I think it uses short pushrods still.... but I may have misread that.

From my understanding, the company that made the defective parts went bust, which also left GUzzi in the shyte as they cant 'force' the manufacturer to supply new correctly made parts.

Bike
    Here's a picture of the 4 valve cam-in-head of the later models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	050520082037374560.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	305866  

Bike

Uh oh

I've done the deed and bought a 2001 V11 sport now.
    This doesn't break my personal rule of "I'll never own the same bike twice", whilst still having that cracking character. I take it home this weekend.
    I sold the SV1000 for $5k and the V11 was $6k, so it owes me a grand. But it's in honest condition and it's the most affordable V11 I've ever seen that wasn't a crash damaged example (darn eBay UK for it's cheap temptings). Plus Paul put WOF on it and a bit of rego.

Happy life, sad wife. I'm in the doghouse.

Bike
    You'll have to bring it around and show me. I'd like to see it I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1524577_10202909455401331_491289763_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	305881  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz View Post
    You'll have to bring it around and show me. I'd like to see it I've had mine for 8 years and still love it.
    TSS recently got in a nice Scura if you want to add to the 'family'.......

Bike
    Hmmm,...4 bikes in the garage already,...dunt think the Missus would let me ..

Thread Information