Thread: ThrottleMeister

Bike
    GSX1300R

ThrottleMeister

When doing long rides I tend to develop some cramping in my fingers. On the left hand side I can take my hand off the bars and stretch my fingers and I wanted to be able to also stretch my right hand & fingers.

My Busa does not have cruise control, there is an aftermarket cruise control kit available, however I really did not want to invest the money & time into installing this on the Busa so I looked at throttle lock options.

One option that is quite popular & cheap are hand rests which clip onto the throttle and allow your hand to remain resting on the throttle while you stretch out your fingers - ThrottleRocker for example. Other options lock the throttle in position allowing you to remove your hand from the bar altogether which is the type I wanted and I chose ThrottleMeister which is a popular on the bike forums.

The ThrottleMeister is transferable between bikes, however you may need to buy a bike specific kit in order to transfer it between bikes depending on the type of throttle your bike uses. On the Busa the bars are solid with a tapped thread for the weight.

There are several different finishes available as well as an optional milled finish. I chose Black on Black Milled which was an extra US$20.00. There is also a weight option standard or heavy. I chose the heavy weight which are a little longer and 2oz heavier.

The ThrottleMeister works with a friction ring arrangement. When engaged the friction ring locks the throttle position in place but it is not tightly locked which allows you to still move the throttle. During the install you are supplied spacers which are used to set this. In the off position there is no interference at all with the throttle operation (it’s critical when installing this that the correct spacers are use to set the clearance correctly as per the instructions supplied). It took me about 15 minutes to install this kit.

With the kit a left hand bar weight is also supplied with the same finish as the right hand throttle lock so both bars look the same and have matching weights. I also used a thread locker on the bolts.

The fit & finish on the ThrottleMeister is done to a very high standard. There’s no machining marks, the finishing is beautiful, and the mechanism is very smooth to operate. It looks good on the bike and I was very impressed by the quality & finish of this kit.

When in use the ThrottleMeister works very well, the throttle is held in place but I’m still able to move it to make adjustment. However I find it very difficult to engage when riding. From reading some of the comments about the ThrottleMeister from other users they reach over with their left hand when engaging it. This is the only area of concern I have using the ThrottleMeister. In top gear I can let the throttle go momentarily to engage it but it’s not smooth.

This is not the cheapest solution but they are made in the USA to a very high standard. The company was very good to deal with and it arrive quickly. Because I can take it from bike to bike (with a bike kit if needed) I look at this as a long term investment in my riding so paying a little extra for the ThrottleMeister is neither here nor there.

I am extremely happy with this product and would absolutely purchase it again if I need to. I feel I got very good value for the dollars spent on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TMLeft.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	305004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TMRight.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	305005  

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    I see your problem, youve stuck it on the wrong sude
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    he's back !!!
    I've got the version that clips to the throttle grip ( cramp buster @$20 from local bike shop ) & you rest your wrist on it, have used it for a few years now feels great being able to stretch out when the cramp kicks in
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    I've got the version that clips to the throttle grip ( cramp buster @$20 from local bike shop ) & you rest your wrist on it, have used it for a few years now feels great being able to stretch out when the cramp kicks in
    Wot 'e said. Best bit of kit I ever bought.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Gone
    Nice review -- I was going to get one but your comment about not being able to activate it with one hand has me thinking twice.

There are ones available that you can work with one hand. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ja_0EvjNXA

Can you post a link to the hayabusa cruise control kit? Is it the intelligent type? i.e. can read road speed and adjust throttle as needed?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Hold the throttle with your left hand, and stretch your fingers.

Some people struggle a bit with it, try it on a pushbike first to see if you can do it.

Bike
    suzuki
    i'd start with checking that the brake and clutch levers are adjusted correctly as it may be that you're riding with your wrists in the wrong position ready to use these. If you brought the bike from a dealer did they take the time to go over the bike and set it up for you, my guess is about zero chance.
    doesn't take a lot and makes riding so much more comfortable.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Here is a link of the hayabusa.org for a writeup on the electric cruise control system. There is a link in this to a writeup on the vacuum cruise control.
    http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii...e-control.html

As Drew mentioned there's a technique of using the left hand to hold the throttle but I find it difficult. The Kaoko was the other throttlemeister type lock I looked at along with reviews on operating it vrs the thottlemeister. These reviews tended to favor the Kaoko but personally I liked the look of the thottlemeister which also provides additional bar weight. The milled finish on the thottlemeister provides indentations similar to the Kaoko so I think it's more me needing to get used to using it. Also with the Kaoko I don't believe there is a Hayabusa specific version just a generic Suzuki so the bar weights would be unbalanced.

I like the omni-cruise you found but I have seen a couple of posts about inadvertently setting that style of throttle lock turning for example into a side street. Maybe muppet rider syndrome more than product design tho. Hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Nice review -- I was going to get one but your comment about not being able to activate it with one hand has me thinking twice.

There are ones available that you can work with one hand. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ja_0EvjNXA

Can you post a link to the hayabusa cruise control kit? Is it the intelligent type? i.e. can read road speed and adjust throttle as needed?

Thread Information