Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Yellow Lines and Overtaking Lines - At Bends

Blog Entries

Double Yellow Lines and Overtaking Lines - At Bends

Have you ever noticed that we have overtaking double yellow lines leading to and around bends, yet in other instances you can find the white broken overtaking line leading up to and around a bend and there is no clear view round/through the bend?

Over the Haywards and down leading to Judgeford and past the golf course, is a good example. When approaching from either direction I scratch my head.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    So? The rule is not "you may overtake wherever there are no yellow lines". The rule is you may only overtake where it is safe to do so, you have 100 metres of visible clear road , etc and (extra) you do not cross a yellow line on your side of the centre line, whilst doing so.

The purpose of the yellow lines should be (and was, before the Insane Yellow Paint Maniac got loose with his paintbrush) to indicate that EVEN THOUGH this bit of road may appear safe for an overtaking manoeovre , you should not do so, becuase of some hidden danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    XJR1220
    And Transits rules also state that yellow no overtaking lines can only be used to ban overtaking when sight distance is restricted by vertical curvature, not horizontal curvature. It seems that not all road engineers know this rule.

Basically, the lack of "no overtaking" lines in no way implies that it is safe to pass.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum View Post
    Basically, the lack of "no overtaking" lines in no way implies that it is safe to pass.
    And a presence of yellows down a perfectly good bit of straight indicates that you can be fined for your efforts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    If I consider it is safe to pass, then I will, the colour of the centre line makes no difference to my appraisal of the situation and decision whether or not to overtake, apart from warning me of those hidden rumble strips that like to upset things if you have your wheels anywhere near them when you pour the fuel on.

I ignore yellow lines because I disagree with where they are applied. I find it strange that so many of them appear in the best possible places for overtaking - nice, straight roads with heaps of shoulder and stuff all potential for cross traffic, and then you have places like BuckBuck referred to in his post, through Judgeford and past the golf course. There are several businesses, a narrow bridge, a dog shelter, many driveways and private roads tucked away, pedestrians, very little shoulder, a blind crest, but where the road appears nice, straight, and deceptively safe for overtaking.
    Not a lot is more hazardous than when you are halfway through overtaking and somebody up ahead turns left onto the road and comes straight for you without even looking in your general direction!
    Having the perfect recipe for this, a lot of that stretch of road should actually have a double yellow line down it - but it doesn't.

Go figure.

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    I suspect they had cars in mind with these lines...............

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    some of the road markings around toodyay have been put in by drunken abo.s whose primary means of transportation is a pair of feet methinks - 'no overtaking' markings where there's a good wide road and you can see for miles [not literally but you know wat i mean] and broken white lines where you wouldn't overtake for quids unless you had a death wish

i blame the french ........
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    I blame the Welch. It's probably some cunning scheme to steal sheep
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    MV Agusta
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    And a presence of yellows down a perfectly good bit of straight indicates that you can be fined for your efforts...
    Don't I know it..........

It's worth 35 bonus points now too

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Yep that was the one that tipped me over 100 points.......fine only $150......

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SN4PD View Post
    Don't I know it..........

It's worth 35 bonus points now too
    fuck!! when was that? when I got done, only $150...

mind you, not sure who was riding at the time, as they only chased the bike up several weeks later, so that could be part of it, as the cop stated he WAS going to follow it up, and nail someone for it. Obviously, rider unknown, he gave me the fine, so I guess no demerits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    MV Agusta
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    fuck!! when was that? when I got done, only $150...

mind you, not sure who was riding at the time, as they only chased the bike up several weeks later, so that could be part of it, as the cop stated he WAS going to follow it up, and nail someone for it. Obviously, rider unknown, he gave me the fine, so I guess no demerits
    This was about 3-4 months ago now, I believe it went up some time last year from 25 to 35 points, the fines still $150 though. (Wish they'd tripple the fine and make the points disappear.....)

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Meh! Yellow lines are usually there for a reason - sometimes a daft one and sometimes because there is something you can't see like a dip or a gateway or summat. Sometimes they are there because of a series of accidents. I tend to think VERY carefully before crossing them and usually (99%) don't.

One thing that is always present with Yellow lines is the risk of a hefty fine and demerit points so why bother? I'm not usually in that much of a hurry.....

Paul N

Bike
    They used to be, and maybe down Souff still are. But up here the Insane Yellow Paint Maniac has gotten loose in a big way and painted double yellows continuously , without a break, for 20km at a time. No, I am not exaggerating. It is absolutely absurd. SH2 is almost solid yellow lines from Bombay to the Thames turnoff, and SH1 is now completely yellow lines from the hill going out of Hatfields Beach untill the far side of the hill after Wenderholm. Any relevance the lines had is totally lost.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    They used to be, and maybe down Souff still are. But up here the Insane Yellow Paint Maniac has gotten loose in a big way and painted double yellows continuously , without a break, for 20km at a time. No, I am not exaggerating. It is absolutely absurd. SH2 is almost solid yellow lines from Bombay to the Thames turnoff, and SH1 is now completely yellow lines from the hill going out of Hatfields Beach untill the far side of the hill after Wenderholm. Any relevance the lines had is totally lost.

In which case I feel sorry for all you Noff Eylanders.

(Notice the lack of 'r' in the word 'Noff' - up there you hardly use that letter, down here, to compensate, we add them to words that don't even have the letter 'r' in their composition)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information