Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP!!! Over Tightened the Chain!!!

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Hey I am in Wellington,check some of the other Jafas
    There will be someone trusted by the guys up there

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuz View Post
    Thanks so much again

Grrr, is it really possible to do that much damage within a couple of minutes riding? Also would you recomend a mechanic cuz I had to save for the last 5 months to get my car cambelt done n i'm still short so I dont think i can save for a $1500 repair. thanks
    Short answer is yes it is possible, but not likely to cost that much.
    Try Spectrum in Takaapuna or your nearest bike shop for a quote

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    where in aucks are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Suzuki GSX400F Slingshot
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    where in aucks are you?
    Thanks for helping me out guys

Im In Mt Albert, what do you recon i should do

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    if it is fine on sat morning I'll be doing the bronz toy run, and could come by and have a butchers if you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I doubt that 30km on a tight chain would do in the bearing and seal (seal won't go until the bearing does). *Prolonged* riding with an overtight chain can cuse damage , but it takes a while (on lower powered machines, anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Suzuki GSX400F Slingshot
    Firstly thanks SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I am new to bikes n even newer to Kiwibiker so this rocks that all you guys are helping me out, Really appreciate it. I had another look under my baby 2nite n noticed that the oil maybe due to over lubing the chain(while cold) becuase the sprocket was shiny clean and didnt seen to have much oil on it (bar a few worn theeth hehe) I also wondered if there is a chance the chain in rubbing against the little rubber gard between the chain and the frame of the bike. I plan to buy some degreaser 2moro and see if there is any more oil leaking after a clean up. Do you guys know any other things that i could look for to keep hope that I havent totally destroyed my bike?

Thanks again guys!!!

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Your chain is meant to run along those rubber guides, that shouldn't be causing much noise.

I also wondered if there is a chance the chain in rubbing against the little rubber gard between the chain and the frame of the bike.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    I'm local to you, give me a call on 624 6757 if you want me to look at it....I'm not a mechanic but I know enough about bikes to be able to give you sound advice.
    Iain

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I doubt that 30km on a tight chain would do in the bearing and seal (seal won't go until the bearing does). *Prolonged* riding with an overtight chain can cuse damage , but it takes a while (on lower powered machines, anyway)
    I'm with Ixion on this one. 30 kays shouldn't do any harm to your output bearing unless there was trouble there before hand.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    No bikes at my house
    Dont touch it anymore... and dont ride it either!
    wait until someone can take a look and teach you how to adjust it...

But what you can do... is write a list of things you want to know and ask whom ever comes over to fix your bike for the answers.

Their time and effort is to be rewarded with:
    1) beer or other alcohol related beverage
    2) Coffee and cakes
    3) BJ

hahaha
    "Here for a good time... not for a long time" DUREX

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Firstly thanks SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I am new to bikes n even newer to Kiwibiker so this rocks that all you guys are helping me out, Really appreciate it. I had another look under my baby 2nite n noticed that the oil maybe due to over lubing the chain(while cold) becuase the sprocket was shiny clean and didnt seen to have much oil on it (bar a few worn theeth hehe) I also wondered if there is a chance the chain in rubbing against the little rubber gard between the chain and the frame of the bike. I plan to buy some degreaser 2moro and see if there is any more oil leaking after a clean up. Do you guys know any other things that i could look for to keep hope that I havent totally destroyed my bike?

Thanks again guys!!!
    One thing to do is to ride the bike slowly,listening for the noise.Then determine if the noises occurrence frequency corresponds to the output sprocket rotation (fast), the rear wheel rotation (slower) or the rotation of the full length of the chain(slowest)

Thread Information