Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson unviels Screamin' Eagle V-Rod!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Tourer :P
    BMW, except all theirs is in flash mail order catalogues, and very expensive. Any random stuff to do with motorbikes, if made unlicenced, either looks like a harley, or a generic sportsbike. At least the ones that look like Harleys, have a name that the public knows. Harley , yeah - from easy rider, and all the gangs ride them yah.... GSXR/ZX10R/YZFR1, its all just a bundle of letters innit.... Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, no-one has any conception of what a stereotypical one of these looks like, but a harley looks like a harley in the public's mind (never mind the Guzzi Cali, BMW R1200C, and all the jap cruisers - they all look like harleys, right?) , and its a well known name.
    Might just be that the majority of folk like potatoes, potatoes, potatoes

(PS another toll allert!)

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Tourer :P
    but a harley looks like a harley in the public's mind (never mind the Guzzi Cali, BMW R1200C, and all the jap cruisers - they all look like harleys, right?) , and its a well known name.
    Wrong PT Never could see the resemblance between a Hog and a Goose. They are as different as chalk and cheese. One wallows in the mire the other flies through the sky.

I once got stuck behind four Harleys in the Kaikoura's. Jeeezz these guys were so slow I could have gotten off an walked faster.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Yeah but the public cant tell the difference - its a fast harley rider and a slow harley rider to them....
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    Wrong PT Never could see the resemblance between a Hog and a Goose. They are as different as chalk and cheese. One wallows in the mire the other flies through the sky.

I once got stuck behind four Harleys in the Kaikoura's. Jeeezz these guys were so slow I could have gotten off an walked faster.

Skyryder
    See, once again another one of you wanabe Harley riders missed the point, those dudes in the Kaikouras were in no hurry to get anywhere, they were already where they wanted to be - on their Harleys
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    See, once again another one of you wanabe Harley riders missed the point, those dudes in the Kaikouras were in no hurry to get anywhere, they were already where they wanted to be - on their Harleys
    Skyryder a wanabe? Nope, I am.

If I'm already where I want to be, I stop. So I guess these guys wanted to be somewhere else. So did I.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Ya forgot to put troll in front . Had a bit of fun with a couple yesterday. the V-Rod rider "wanted" to be in front. And to be far they've got exellent low down grunt. Turns out he was a local cop-passing on double yellow lines, blind corners and all the other naughty naughty riding things(almost got collected when passing car). Just for a tease I passed the pair and gave a freindly wave. Well the V-Rod rider wasn't happy at all being passed by a 28 year old japper. The other rider was quite happy meandering along. As I said earlier Harley riders are fun to play with

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Ya forgot to put troll in front . As I said earlier Harley riders are fun to play with
    Yeah, Mrs SD tells me that too!

The guy on the V-rod you mentioned (the cop?) need a tonging-up for his riding - I hope you said something - I do, regardless of who is riding/driving
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Ya forgot to put troll in front . Had a bit of fun with a couple yesterday. the V-Rod rider "wanted" to be in front. And to be far they've got exellent low down grunt. :
    V-Rod's got good grunt everywhere. Ask any of the Wellys crew how good they are.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    honda nv 400 custom
    exactly thats why they are called cruisers, a bloody lot more comfortable than sports bikes but each to their own i guess.for me i like the feeling of low down grunt as opposed to hi revs.

Bike
    ALL
    V Rod's only 1 sec slower to 160 than a Rocket 3. ('Bike' mag). Less power, but less weight too.
    Lou

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    Just on this 'Harelys are a bit stone age thing so why are they so expensive?'

I'm a sports bike man myself but have on two occasions been on about 300km long rides on a Harely 1200 with loads of Scremun Egul bits on it. Handled like a piece of poo (tick) brakes were shite (tick) wasn't that fast compared to any other bike half the cost (tick) vibrated like crazy (tick) BUT they sound cool as, and I have NEVER ever been on a bike other than that Harley and had strangers of the pretty female type come up to me when parked (posing) somewhere in a town you've stopped in and say "nice bike.....can you take me for a ride?"

You roll into a small town, throb (sic) your way up to a cafe, look up and EVERYONE is looking at you...add to that on NZ roads they're good for not getting tickets I can see why people buy them....ride one then judge my fellow sport bikers.....

Bike
    Your Face
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo750
    One day mate. After you have got confident on the ZXR250. One step at a time eh?

The world will look up and shout "Save Us!", and I'll whisper "no"

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I have NEVER ever been on a bike other than that Harley and had strangers of the pretty female type come up to me when parked (posing) somewhere in a town you've stopped in and say "nice bike.....can you take me for a ride?"
    I have heard (but this hasn't been verified) that female types don't find the vibrations annoying...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Just on this 'Harelys are a bit stone age thing so why are they so expensive?'

I'm a sports bike man myself but have on two occasions been on about 300km long rides on a Harely 1200 with loads of Scremun Egul bits on it. Handled like a piece of poo (tick) brakes were shite (tick) wasn't that fast compared to any other bike half the cost (tick) vibrated like crazy (tick) BUT they sound cool as, and I have NEVER ever been on a bike other than that Harley and had strangers of the pretty female type come up to me when parked (posing) somewhere in a town you've stopped in and say "nice bike.....can you take me for a ride?"

You roll into a small town, throb (sic) your way up to a cafe, look up and EVERYONE is looking at you...add to that on NZ roads they're good for not getting tickets I can see why people buy them....ride one then judge my fellow sport bikers.....
    NOW you know why I have one!! BTW mine is a 'S' Sporty with some skreeminegal bits, handles not too bad, brakes good enough to do stoppies if I had the balls, will do 180+ two-up (apparently) and Mrs SD hasn't moaned (well not that I could hear while riding) about the vibes.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    I have nothing against Harley-Davidson - the bike (I don't own a cruiser myself, but I've enjoyed riding them. Right now, a cruiser doesn't do suit what I use the bike for - if I had space for a 2nd bike - make that 3 bikes in the garage - I'd happily own a cruiser).

I do get irritated with "Harley - the attitude". Normally not Harley RIDERS, but Harley OWNERS that buy into all the sales pitch. Note the very, very specific distinction between RIDERS (like Scumdog) and OWNERS (the people that have to have all the dopey bits and pieces, buy the mugs, call each other "dude" and so forth).

Buy one because you want one and enjoy it. Not because of some clever piece of corporate bullshit.

One question though - why is it that no-one seems to be able to spell Harley-Davidson's accessories company's name correctly?

It is Screamin' Eagle! No idea why, but there seems to be 1,001 spellings of it commonly used - and they are never right!

Lets face it though - Harley-Davidson is the one bike that non-bikers know.

Tell a non-biker you ride and it is odds on they'll say "Do you ride a Harley?" When you tell them no, guaranteed they'll reply "Oh I bet you wish you did though". And then start telling you how they saw a Harley-Davidson Virago or Dragstar or Marauder just the other day...
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Thread Information