Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Red 650F's big adventure

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F

Little Red 650F's big adventure

HI
    My little red 650F and I have been making some solo trips out and about having little adventures. Been to Cape Palliser, Ocean beach (via western side Lake Wairarapa) Lake Ferry, White Rock, Tora, gravel roads out the back of Hunterville and gravel roads out the back of Piopio. Am trying to build up gravel riding skills, as my previous bike was a VFR400, and that was afew years ago.So am looking for some adventure riders ( not too full on at this stage!) to have a day out with.
    I am heading for a BIG adventure in the South Island 2 -25 January. Planning to travel over Danseys Pass, Skippers Canyon road, Molesworth trail, Hakateriamea valley, and possibly Dunstan trail. So anyone who will be riding around south island during those times and may like to show me some roads or join me on the ones I have roughly planned for...I would like to hear from you so we can tee something up.

happy adventuring
    [I]'Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.' Kahlil Gabran

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Hi again Shiner.
    Hey I'd love to join you on some of your adventures, however my hornet (and I ) don't do gravel too well. Since watching "the long way round" I've become quite interested in off road adventures and the idea of riding in gravel has become a bit of a misson for me, but not on my road bike.
    So here's a question someone may know the answer to, can you hire off road bikes for like a week or so?
    Thanks.

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

Adventure riding

If you're thinking of dansey's Pass and the Dunstan trail then your'e in Oldrider and my backyard - the ride between his place and mine is best done through the dansey's and goes right past the Dunstan trail turnoff. We have talked about a loop over there some time which could then include continuing on the second part of the Dunstan through to Poolburn and Alexandra, or coming over past Lake Onslow to Millers Flat.
    So let us know when you're coming down - some of those places you definitely don't want to be riding on your own and you need to pick your weather.
    To answer Mrs KD's ? - there is a new hire business in Dunedin
    http://www.backroadsbikes.co.nz/bike_touring.html
    They have several options for rides like this.
    You've made a good move - there's so much of NZ you miss if you can't cope with gravel roads, and quite a bit more you can see if you can cope with the odd rough track (without getting into off road trail stuff). keep up the practise and keep in touch.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    I am heading for a BIG adventure in the South Island 2 -25 January. Planning to travel over Danseys Pass, Skippers Canyon road, Molesworth trail, Hakateriamea valley, and possibly Dunstan trail. So anyone who will be riding around south island during those times and may like to show me some roads or join me on the ones I have roughly planned for...I would like to hear from you so we can tee something up.
    Gidday there. I'll on the roads/tracks down south just after that from 2-6 Feb, so I can't help you there, but the Otago boys may be able to help. I can probably hook up with you for some local stuff on your way through though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Kendog View Post
    So here's a question someone may know the answer to, can you hire off road bikes for like a week or so?
    Yep, have a look here BMW 650's and Yamaha XT600's
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Still getting use to the gravel stuff myself.
    If you are stopping in Chch on your travels don't forget to give some warning. Put a post up for a ride or drinks in the meetings thread closer to time.
    A trip on the tar & gravel roads to Akaroa is always a must if staying here.
    Have a good trip

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F

Thanks

HI everyone
    thank you for the welcome and kind offers. Yes Mrs Kendog I will definately hook up for a ride sometime soon.
    Ruralman thanks for the advice and the trails you mentioned were ones I have looked at on the maps. Will be in touch.
    Far queue and SDU yes also will be in touch when approaching Chch. Not sure which way to go down East and back West coast roughly or opposite direction. Will see how I feel closer to the time. Only 10 more days of work to go ....and counting down!
    [I]'Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.' Kahlil Gabran

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

Nevis road

You probably should add the Nevis road from Bannockburn (near Cromwell) though to Garston. Good summer ride. About 25 river crossings/fords that in summer are very shallow unless theres been recent heavy rain. It gets up quite high and has some spectacular views - I've only done part of it and keen to go back and go right through.
    Other events down here during your timetable include the Glenorchy rally on Jan 12-13, and the BRONZ Otago TT run to Galloway (site for the Vincent County rally in FEb) on Jan 20th.
    I've got a local mate keen to go through the Nevis and I'm sure Oldrider won't take much arm twisting either so keep us posted on you travel plans and it might all work together.

Bike
    Sold
    Hey there Shiner, Petone is my old stamping ground, I lived there as a teenager and apprentice, played rugby, rode motorcycles and generally made a nuisance of myself there between 1955 and 1960.
    What part of Petone do you live in?
    If you are interested in coming south you will surely enjoy it there are some very nice rides down here.
    Hakataramea pass is relatively sedate and easy but well worth riding, I almost came to grief there on my return from Tekapo following the great KB Southern rally last week end!
    The fords were exceptionally high, not that that is a bother but I spent my time admiring the height of the water instead of concentrating upon the actual crossing and stalled right in the middle and almost lost my footing and got wet feet in the process!
    You just have to keep your mind on the job, even when things are relatively mundane and familiar!
    Let us know if you are in the area, we might hook up for a ride or two. Cheers John.

Bike
    DR650SE, BMW R80GS, R1150R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruralman View Post
    You probably should add the Nevis road from Bannockburn (near Cromwell) though to Garston. Good summer ride. About 25 river crossings/fords that in summer are very shallow unless theres been recent heavy rain. It gets up quite high and has some spectacular views - I've only done part of it and keen to go back and go right through.
    Count me in folks - Nevis is literally 5 minutes from my back door - Dunstan trail, I'll be all over there this Xmas/New Year - give me a holler - would welcome the company.
    paulj - Illegitimis nil carborundum

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F
    Hi Ruralman
    yes have thought about the Nevis road. I have not done much river crossings, but sure with some company and pointers I will be right. Thanks for the information and will be in touch.

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F
    Thank you guys I will definately be in touch when I am in the big Island. Have toured before on peddle power bicycle. Did not go over too many really outback places but did go over Danseys pass and off the boat at Queenstown through Walter Peak Station to Mavora lakes and then out to Te Anau. Fell in love with the landscape and ended up living in Otago for 2 years. Love the South very much. Hoping to do some hiking also while down there.
    Thanks again for your help here

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Hi shinner, just noticed this thread, I can't help you out with your plans for the south island, but if you'd like to do some local rides sometime let me know as I also need to get some gravel/ dirt road mileage in, as I have just brought a dual purpose bike.

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Hi shinner, just noticed this thread, I can't help you out with your plans for the south island, but if you'd like to do some local rides sometime let me know as I also need to get some gravel/ dirt road mileage in, as I have just brought a dual purpose bike.
    Hi Howie
    yes that would be great. With the silly season upon us however not much time until I head south. Today would have been great! I finish work next Wednesday and then have to head north to family for afew days but will be back in town for afew days before the 2 when I go south.
    Keep in touch for sure.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    Hi Ruralman
    yes have thought about the Nevis road. I have not done much river crossings, but sure with some company and pointers I will be right. Thanks for the information and will be in touch.
    Hey Shiner
    I did the Nevis 2 weeks ago, however it was in a 4wd, not on a bike. The river crossings were up to half way up the door (Mitsi Triton ute) so would be damn deep on a bike! It appears that the road needs a bit of maintenance as where the road meets river there are .5 to 1m banks whic makes fun river crossings. We did go through there a few days after Qtown was flooding though. Definately worth the trip, took us 4hrs to do the 80kms of it.

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Hey Shiner
    I did the Nevis 2 weeks ago, however it was in a 4wd, not on a bike. The river crossings were up to half way up the door (Mitsi Triton ute) so would be damn deep on a bike! It appears that the road needs a bit of maintenance as where the road meets river there are .5 to 1m banks whic makes fun river crossings. We did go through there a few days after Qtown was flooding though. Definately worth the trip, took us 4hrs to do the 80kms of it.
    umm...! That sounds like fun! Not sure if the 650 can swim and thinking that sounds abit much for us... will check it out with some of the locals when I get near there. Thanks for the information.

Thread Information