Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Classic" naked tourers

Bike
    a minature T-34
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Cb550s are better for larger/taller folk. And the cam chain tensioner setup is better. One thing the 400 does have that the 500/550s don't is a slipper for the primary camc hain to rub on instead of chewing into the ali castings when they wear.
    From what I've read of other's opinions and feedback it would appear the cb350/60 and cb400 would be more suitable for my physical disposition but I guess there is only one way to find out which would have to be closer to purchasing time.

Subsequently, what are the general opinions of, what I only assume as, kawasaki's equivalent of the CBs namely the KZ and W models or am I just showing my ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Now that I've read all the posts:

I bought mine 18 months ago in the $4 - $6k range you mention.

I commute on it all the time, and go for a couple hr ride every week or so.

Hasn't missed a beat.

I get 330 - 350 Km from a tank depending on if I'm commuting, blatting 1 or 2 up.

Had it on the track at Taupo and can confirm it is still accelerating when the speedo runs out of numbers at 190 (more than enough for me).

The only thing I have done other than the pack rack is replaced the standard headlight bulb with a Xenon one of the same wattage - well worth the $20 a pair.

Thank you for that, it's definately a beautiful bike you have there. Will hunt around for one sitting in a dealer's lot to sit on at some point in relatively near future.

What, if you don't mind me asking, did you upgrade/sidegrade from to the current bike? Am contemplating whether jumping off a fiddly 150 2 stroke would offer enough experience going to a "modern" 750.

That's damn good millage, I get maybe half that on my 2smoke but then again I tend to sit a quite high in the rev range as a constant.

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Previous bike was a CB400n ('81 if I remember correctly, 400 twin it was) 12 years between bikes so plenty has faded in the memory department. Was a good bike though.

I'm only an inch taller than you so don't think you'll have too much drama with seat height. You'll get better acceleration than me though cause it is a rather HEAVY inch!!

Part of the apeal of my current bike was that it is (by modern standards) old technology, and while having enough power to do the job comfortably (cruise at 100 ish 2 up) wasn't going to get me into real trouble real quick. Being a naked bike you know it when your speed is getting up.
    Last edited by Highlander; 18th December 2006 at 01:25. Reason: added the last paragraph.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    cx500
    Ahh, at last someone with class. It's quite a tall bike though. Yes I know it was ment to be a piss take......

Another small older bike to consider could be a GB400 or 500 single. Fine for solo touring with it's 300+ km fuel range. Can be had for around $1400-$2000. There's a thread on KB about a mate and my tour on our 400s around the east cape. He's five foot nothing and I'm 6 foot.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30428

Edit-just popped in to one of the local Honda shops to book Gerty in for the charging system to get sorted. Couple of nice looking Honda Bros, 400 I think, look the bee's knees. Hadn't been prepped for sale yet so no price on them. Ment to be pretty bullet proof.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by vamr View Post
    From what I've read of other's opinions and feedback it would appear the cb350/60 and cb400 would be more suitable for my physical disposition but I guess there is only one way to find out which would have to be closer to purchasing time.
    You won't go too far wrong with a mid-range CB. They're light enough that they're not a hassle on daily commutes (the CB550 was good on the open road but an utter pain in the arse for someone my size at crawling pace in town. I could only fully ground one foot at a time, barely tiptoe with both feet, and the weight meant that stopping and starting at lights, manoeuvring in parking lots and trying to back it up involved a lot of effort.)

My old CB360 seemed to like sitting at 70mph (to my cost) - I suspect that was the speed it was run in at as it didn't like sitting at 60 in top gear - and it wasn't at full throttle. I also handled fine - I took it up the hill south of Taihape before the bastards straightened the road and ruined it for us bikers (fucking whiney-arsed cagers!) and it just glided up the hill, rolling smoothly from side to side around the corners - frigging excellent! That bugger could handle!

Never had any hassles at low speed, commuted to work around Hamilton, did the shopping etc - great both in the confines of the city and out on the open road and that's exactly what I look for in a "one and only" bike.

The bench seat was quite adequate for two-up riding and quite confortable on the long haul - riding posture kept tail-bone clear of the seat, padding was ample beneath the bum, and at my height I found the bike fitted me perfectly - comfortable riding posture, neither cramped nor stretched. As we're similar heights you may find the same (barring major differences in proportions - a friend of mine was the same height as me but a lot shorter in the in-seam and found a lot of bikes "too tall".)
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    what about one of those 400 cc Hornet lookalikes

Cb1 or something.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'm after a Viper cafe racer style bikini fairing, possibly a couple, if anyone can put me on a good source thanks.
    Hastings Honda can provide the fairings at around $120 for those interested. Got an email last week. Should imagine they are available from all major bike shops for around the same price.

Bike
    1999 Honda XL1000V Varadero

1992 Honda CB750 F2N

I bought one of these new in Oz and over more than a decade ran up 256,000 kms. With original bore, pistons and rings was burning one or two mms of oil between changes when I sold it to return to NZ.

Very nice smooth engine and with an after market screen it makes a great everyday bike in all weather. I drove it 90 kms to work (and back again) every day for five years and did nearly 100 weekend rallies all around NSW.

Replaced cam chain at 125K and alternator chain and bearings at 170K. Had to replace one clicky hydraulic tappet at some stage. Really great with no tappet adjustment to worry about.

Was the best bike I ever had - out of 15 over 38 years.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    GB400/500/600
    you will never regret it.
    Take this advice from someone who hates honda's.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    GL1800
    I will echo the recommendations of early Hondas having owned the 500/4, 750/4, GL1000, and quite recently a 77 CB750F Supersport, which I picked up MINT for $2750.

I know you're talking naked, but don't overlook a Yamaha FJ1200. They are decievingly low bikes, - my 5'3" Gal could ride mine, they are super strong and long lasting - you owe yourself a test ride and great value for $$.

Motors are so grunty, you can't really stress them = high mileages no probs.

Have fun deciding!

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Wohoo that's what I got to look forward to. Mine had 9,700Km on it when I bought it and I have done 17,000 Km since then.

Welcome to KiwiBiker Catweazle.

Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    I bought one of these new in Oz and over more than a decade ran up 256,000 kms. With original bore, pistons and rings was burning one or two mms of oil between changes when I sold it to return to NZ.

Very nice smooth engine and with an after market screen it makes a great everyday bike in all weather. I drove it 90 kms to work (and back again) every day for five years and did nearly 100 weekend rallies all around NSW.

Replaced cam chain at 125K and alternator chain and bearings at 170K. Had to replace one clicky hydraulic tappet at some stage. Really great with no tappet adjustment to worry about.

Was the best bike I ever had - out of 15 over 38 years.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Thread Information