Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really true that everybody crashes?

Bike
    None
    Essentially it comes down to your ability to understand yourself.

There is the EPR Paradox which describes the work of Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen which led to much subsequent, and still on-going, research.

The best way to describe it (and demonstrate my point, which I will eventually get to) is to present two observables, position and momentum. You can put a subatomic particle into a state of well-defined momentum, but then you cannot know its position. Conversely, you can put a particle in a definite position, but then its momentum is completely ill-defined.

Regardless of the various arbitrarily confines, you can never know the true value of both.

This is applicable to motorcycling in the sense you can either control the physical, medical and financial implications of an accident; Or control the circumstances that would cause an accident through advanced training and increased awareness.

Point you have the ability to define the outcome of any situation regardless, however there will always be uncertainty. You can lessen this by quite simply being a good rider. Ixion is an example of someone who can control and find the maximal sets of commuting observables (i.e. keep his shit togeather in a tricky situation).

Yes, I am bored. But think about it.

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by jumma View Post
    Why do we wear this gear? Because we all know there is the possibility we may come off - our fault, or something beyond our control.
    Very true. If we were all convinced we would never or could never crash we would all ride around in stubbies, singlets and jandals.

The desire to protect myself if I do ever come off was the key factor in spending quite a reasonable amount of dosh on gear something that hurt financially but will be worth it if I do ever come off.

Good comments all - keep 'em coming

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanTiger View Post
    Essentially it comes down to your ability to understand yourself.

There is the EPR Paradox which describes the work of Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen which led to much subsequent, and still on-going, research.

The best way to describe it (and demonstrate my point, which I will eventually get to) is to present two observables, position and momentum. You can put a subatomic particle into a state of well-defined momentum, but then you cannot know its position. Conversely, you can put a particle in a definite position, but then its momentum is completely ill-defined.

Regardless of the various arbitrarily confines, you can never know the true value of both.

This is applicable to motorcycling in the sense you can either control the physical, medical and financial implications of an accident; Or control the circumstances that would cause an accident through advanced training and increased awareness.

Point you have the ability to define the outcome of any situation regardless, however there will always be uncertainty. You can lessen this by quite simply being a good rider. Ixion is an example of someone who can control and find the maximal sets of commuting observables (i.e. keep his shit togeather in a tricky situation).

Yes, I am bored. But think about it.

You swallowed a NCEA exam didnt you ??

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisanga View Post
    Very true. If we were all convinced we would never or could never crash we would all ride around in stubbies, singlets and jandals.

The desire to protect myself if I do ever come off was the key factor in spending quite a reasonable amount of dosh on gear something that hurt financially but will be worth it if I do ever come off.

Good comments all - keep 'em coming
    Riding a motorcycle safely is a total package.

Prevention is more desireable with things like training, currency, a safe bike and the right frame of mind.
    Precaution is necessary too as there are possibilities out side of our control hence the need to wear the correct gear.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisanga View Post
    You obviously haven't seen the pictures floating around this site of me doing wheelies with no helmet while sporting, wait for it... stubbies, singlet and jandals!

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    You will crash one day.
    I heard the average time before an off is five months from getting a learner's license.
    I got to three months then had a little slide, and two months off work.
    Now I'm more careful, I practise stuff.
    I reckon I'll fall off again though.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanTiger View Post
    It seems that a rather indecent act is in the process of being committed upon that innocent fuel tank

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries

Smile

If you ride with care & use all your senses then your chances of having a serious off are reduced. This isn't to say you won't have one but the odds are more in your favour. Bikes are a freedom machine, enjoy it but keep your wits about you & you will be fine
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by terbang View Post
    Saying that crashes are inevitable is just stupid chestbeating wank. .........
    absolutely

refuse to get caught up in the testicular bullshit that would have new riders believe its somehow 'big' to be able to brag about your latest bin ...

crashing is best avoided

sometimes you can't - a car out of a blind driveway or similar ............ but,the crashes people have from taking it too close to the edge of their skills and/or ignoring the road conditions, traffic patterns and such .... these CAN be avoided with a bit of commonsense and vigilance.

if you make a point of ALWAYS riding totally in the moment, of treating riding as a sort of moving meditation in which you are totally aware of yourself and all around you, then you should have a reasonable chance of staying safe.

much, MUCH better to have an unscratched bike and an intact hide than a big insurance claim, a bunch of scars and some stupid war story to relate to your mates

....and if your mates would be IMPRESSED by that sort of story, better find someone else to ride with mebbe .............
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    91 FXR150r
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    I have seen a few where people are on an unusual slope and can't reach the ground, or have had a bad footing etc.
    So true.

I would have put myself in the "I haven't had an accident" bracket, however I have done exactly the above and dropped the VTR1000.

Pulled up too fast on 22 to help someone who had broken down, too much front brake, threw my body weight forward, stopped on an unusual slope (loose metal even) and then was not able to maintain the bike upright as I was on tip toes on loose metal.

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Chisanga,

Read Keth Code over and over and over and over..........................
    You will improve your odds of not crashing immeasurably.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    -
    No WAY are crashes inevitable. My father has never crashed ever, on a bike. He's had one or two in a car, but never on a bike. And he's been riding for... I don't know how many years lol, I don't know how old he is.

That said, like Ixion, he did a fair bit of dirtbiking first, and took one or two low speed tumbles trying to climb up a hill when stuck, stuff like that.

Your biggest worry is that somebody will do something stupid on the road, to you, not that you'll crash because you made a mistake I think. As long as you ride in a way you feel comfortable, I think crashing by yourself (as I did, but I felt I was going too quick, and got scared) is not that likely. But watch out for other people not giving way, I haven't been riding that long and have already had quite a few incidents where people have just not seen me and done something stupid, but I've been expecting it, so it was OK.

Bike
    Bikeless for now but shopping.
    No, riding a bike does not mean you will crash. For my two cents worth, riding is inherently risky but you can manage that risk by being as well-prepared as possible, be patient as you allow your exerience to grow, and develop the right attitude. If you ride within the bounds of your experience and don't let your enthusiasm overtake your capability, you're halfway there. Then, never assume that you've been noticed, and never consider eye contact as an acknowledgment of your presence. If you can imagine that to every other road user you are completely invisible, then you're a lot closer to surviving out there. Finally, your own attitude. Keep it real. If you're a novice rider, then so be it. Every veteral rider was once a novice, so be patient. You cannot make experience grow overnight, so keep within the parameters of what you can manage. We've fairly recently had a KB member fly into a bend on an uninsured 250 Aprilia, lose control by overbraking and lifting the rear wheel, and subsequently wiping out. It's never a happy moment when any fellow rider comes off, but what was bloody infuriating is how quickly he was willing to offer one excuse after the other. There was not a hint of reality, completely unwilling to admit that he scewed up, but instead, blamed everything else as though the wreck was entirely not his fault. Wrong attitude, inexperience, riding outside his capability. For me (and I can say this because I've survived for this long), it's 50% attitude, 40% preparation and 10% circumstance. You can't always control the circumstance - motorists do stupid things, pedestrians don't look, animals do run into your path. But, if your attitude is right, where you're always vigilant and riding within the bounds of being safe, your chances are better than most. Then, as you become more and more exerienced, you're even better equipped to survive and ride through the hazard without crashing. This is all good news! You can adopt the right attitude instantly, right now. more good news: Every day you ride, your experience increases, a bit like investing money. Every day it grows, but it does not reduce unless you choose to. Be alert, be safe, keep it real. You're 90% of the way there, and again, no, you don't have to crash.
    "Safety Cameras" Yeah, right!

Bike
    suzuki boulevard S50 2007
    hi all, well i am a newbie, only had L licence for a week, went on my first big ride yesterday one other learner and her hubby, we were cruising along having a lovely time , when it happened, friend was in front of me so saw crash happen, not high speed rounded a corner and off she went into the gravel and crashed..........what had happened was a bumble bee got inside her helmet.........of all freak things to happen!!!!!!!!!! anyway she was ok apart from ripped up her knee a bit and elbow and a lovely elderly couple looked after us until friends came to pick her up one took her to the drs and the other rode her bike home, but gee it shook me up a little as even though it was a freak thing it did show me how quickly something can happen and you have to have your wits about you all the time,

i also dropped my bike yesterday ...for the first time...twice..........once riding down a steep driveway..silly mistake..used wrong brake.....the other when putting bike away , didnt even ride it. was pushing it.......went to put it on stand...oops forgot to put stand out...ha ha oh well

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    If you think you are going to crash... you will... (whether your fault or not)

However saying this, it is not inevitable that you will have a bin, BUT and a big BUT it is a possibility...

So you should be prepared for the possiblity not prepared for the inevitable act else you will be out riding asking your self is it today...???

So ride to your abilities, ride as if every other bugger is out to get you (Including other bikers) Live to ride, ride to live. Have your prective gear on... Stay focused on what you are doing and not worrying about what your hair looks like under your helmet. Think ahead, look ahead, know your surroundings, look many vechiles ahead, (most of the time you can see over them... something cage drivers don't know and or understand... know who is behind you, whats to your left and to your right... know what type of road surface you are on... whats above you, how many seaguls... (well they poop on yah every bugger is out to get you including the gulls)

If you are uncomfortable riding in certain situations try to avoid them, if you can't avoid, ride to the conditions, take regular breaks, relax...

... And here is a hard one, if not impossible one to do... if you do have a bin try to be relaxed about it during it... being tense you can actually cause more damage to yourself...

Thread Information