Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really true that everybody crashes?

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness

Is it really true that everybody crashes?

Since joining these forums I have been slightly taken aback by the amount of people who say that everybody crashes at some stage, whilst it's essential to be prepared and careful at all times, to a complete newbie sweeping generalisations like this can seem like an overstatement..

I have no first hand knowledge of this topic at all so I would be interested if people could state if they have crashed, how 'serious' it was and whether it occured in, say, their first three months of riding their bike.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter... I think it would be interesting to see the results.

I hope that the statement "Everyone crashes/bins it/offs" is proven wrong by your replies.

Safe riding all.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisanga View Post

I hope that the statement "Everyone crashes/bins it/offs" is proven wrong by your replies.

Safe riding all.
    Not all crash. However some do so through no fault of their own others through 'all' their own fault. If you take the trouble to learn road sense on a bike should not be a problem.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I treat crashing as inevitable, and therefore equip myself as if every ride will result in an incident. Fortuantely I haven't binned in the last 20 years, but I won't try and count how many times I came off prior to that.

Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11826 for a better indication.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11826 for a better indication.
    I think I need to start using the search engine here more effectively

Cheers for the link mate.

Bike
    2022 Triumph Speed Twin 900
    Hope you learn something from my stupidity:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39808

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39809

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40711

Tips: learn all you can, wear the best gear you can afford, treat all other motorists like they are out to get you and then, you certainly will shorten the odds and may never have an off.
    If the destination is more important than the journey you aint a biker.

Sci-Fi and Non-Fiction Author
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pcfris

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Crashing is not an inevitability, it is a possibility. A lot of it is up to you.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    You can choose to not participate in the obligatory bin, that is what I have done.
    Not every one crashes and I don't see that it is a necessary part of your learning curve.
    Learn to ride properly, take courses in riding if they are available in your area, stay aware and focused, ride your own ride within your limits at all times and you don't need to.
    Remember, sticky side down, shiny side up - you'll enjoy it much more that way!
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    One thing I try to remember is that - They are all trying to kill you!

Maybe not, but thats how you have to approach things. I had a idiot pull out onto a two lane to merge from an intersection and cross straight over to my lane yesterday. Just gave me a stupid blank look as I was making gestures and swearing at him. (Just before the Petone overbridge, from the esplanade, heading south - for those that know...)
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Since joining these forums I have been slightly taken aback by the amount of people who say that everybody crashes at some stage, whilst it's essential to be prepared and careful at all times, to a complete newbie sweeping generalisations like this can seem like an overstatement..
    Never ride in the wet
    Never ride in a city or built up area.
    Only ride on open road with no twisties at the speed limit or slower at a safe following distance and you should be fairly safe.
    I have bailed 6 times in 29 years...none were my fault

Started road riding in 1977 on a 250.

First off 1980... Kawasaki H2..gravel road heading out to 90 mile beach,to fast,went onto grass,fell off.

1983 Ducati 900... S bend rail overbridge in the wet,lost both front and rear wheels at once...too fast,slick road,off camber.

1994 Ducati 900 ... Hit a small courier truck on the Symonds St motorway onramp... truck was braking (no brake lights ) as i was checking the lanes to pull out,turned to look ahead

1996 Ducati 900 ..Lock to lock tank slapper in the wet...big slide,off the road,went over a 12 foot or so bank landing in a swamp. (bike stayed up on the road)

1998 Ducati 900 ..Engine stalled mid turn, by the time i got it sorted had started to run wide hit armco barrier. (low speed)

2006 Suzuki TL1000.. Wet road,sweeping corner,medium speed,back came around..game over.

First thing noticed,poor Ducati,second all could have been avoided except for maybe No 5 (I had put a stock heavy flywheel back in the bike replacing the super light one) so even that may have been avoidable.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    1983 Ducati 900... S bend rail overbridge in the wet,lost both front and rear wheels at once...too fast,slick road,off camber.

1994 Ducati 900 ... Hit a small courier truck on the Symonds St motorway onramp... truck was braking (no brake lights ) as i was checking the lanes to pull out,turned to look ahead

1996 Ducati 900 ..Lock to lock tank slapper in the wet...big slide,off the road,went over a 12 foot or so bank landing in a swamp. (bike stayed up on the road)

1998 Ducati 900 ..Engine stalled mid turn, by the time i got it sorted had started to run wide hit armco barrier. (low speed)
    Man that bike has certainly been in the wars

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    PS

Close calls.....100's no doubt.The problem is you do not know how you will react untill you are in a pressure situation.

Take the weekend ride..... come over a sweeping brow of a hill to see a SUV coming over into my lane on an angle.... make decision that it seems to be heading for the gravel on my side (L/H) so it will not come back across,steer to the right,it goes past me on the left in the gravel.I think WTF ,look in my mirror to see if the people following were far enough back to have avoided it (looked ok) carried on as per usual.

Man that bike has certainly been in the wars
    Yeah,i suck and to think with the motorway job i ended up flying a long way (hit the left rear of the truck) the bike broke the draw bar on the truck,stoved the rear door in and i still rode it home at 90 kmh (bent wheel) They don't make them like that any more...got it at 23 will never sell it.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop View Post
    One thing I try to remember is that - They are all trying to kill you!

Maybe not, but thats how you have to approach things. I had a idiot pull out onto a two lane to merge from an intersection and cross straight over to my lane yesterday. Just gave me a stupid blank look as I was making gestures and swearing at him. (Just before the Petone overbridge, from the esplanade, heading south - for those that know...)
    I so agree...........the "everyone is out to get you " statement will stand you in good stead on 2 wheels.........especially watch out for people wearing hats!!!

As far as it goes, I started riding in 1976..........and had my first off the day I got on 2 wheels....part of my learning how to ride involved a downhill paddock and instructions to give it heaps till I heard a shout, then to slam on the brakes....oh yay for the innocence of youth........

I have had several encounters with mother earth riding off road, once even having my front wheel taken out from under me in an overtaking manouver that obviously made the bloke feel REALLY BIG!..

On the road, several near misses, ( I have always found the big followed by the comments on peoples parentage and personal habits soothing when the adreniline is running high) good braking technique is essential.....

Being on 2 wheels can be dangerous for sure, keep your eyes open and your senses tuned at all times, ride to your abilities and you will have a blast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Fact of life - unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by terbang View Post
    Crashing is not an inevitability, it is a possibility. A lot of it is up to you.
    Don't cotton wool the man. Tell 'em straight. No BS. Stay at home, life is bloody dangerous.

It is entirely possible, but is inevitable at some point in your riding life. If you're lucky enough to never have had the experience of an accident (regardless of fault) to say you never will, is stupid. To have never had one is just luck. There is only so much skill, preparation one can learn or do. The rest is risk minimisation and luck.
    To be unprepared is foolhardy. To say you never will, shows your stupidity or the lack of reality. There are many, many things beyond our control, after all we are only human.

Learn the basic skills well, prepare yourself and machine adequately and don't be fukkin stupid. You'll be fine.

Want to ride on the limit, push yourself to the edge?? Go to the track, thats why we have trackdays. If you like it, go racing, safest enviroment on the planet to do your thing. Well as safe as it gets. The rest is luck. Good or Bad, understand the risks, and avoid them at all costs.

If you need anything, like I said earlier, only to happy to help ya out.

As for crashing, never done that, never been stupid either yeah right.
    I remember a certain 17yr old on his GN250, riding at night, too fast for conditions, wasn't seen by fellow motorist at round-about *bang* no injury, van driver at fault, one buggered bike and one ruined birthday party. He was lucky, his bike wasn't.

You don't know the time nor place - we are only human, doing something we enjoy.

Be Safe, Be Seen and Be Real . . careful.
    It is what it is

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

I have no first hand knowledge of this topic at all so I would be interested if people could state if they have crashed, how 'serious' it was and whether it occured in, say, their first three months of riding their bike.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter... I think it would be interesting to see the results.

Safe riding all.
    In 40 years riding, and maybe a million kilometres, I have never crashed or been injured on the road.

However, I must say that in my first few months I spent a LOT of time riding off road (just the local subdivision in progress) , where I did fall off , a lot. Low speed, no injury, but I learned a lot.

Crashing is NOT inevitable, don't let anyone tell you that.

However, don'tgo round with rose coloured spectacles, either. What we do is dangerous, and crashing and injury (even death) is always a possibility.

Each time you go out presume you WILL crash, then REFUSE to allow it.

(I'm not counting dropping the bike putting it on the stand and such like incidents)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Read an interesting article in the British magazine "Bike" (I think) a few months ago about a guy who has ridden for 43 years and has NEVER had an off. It turns out this guy was no Nana rider either. The interviewer was a bike tester and was struggling to keep up with him through the twisties in the wet. He was exceptionally aware of what was going on around him and he had obviously had honed his anticipatory skills to a fine art. A bit of good luck probably went his way as well.
    Might be able to dig the article up if you are interested.

Place the responsibility for your survival where it belongs.......with yourself.

There is also an interesting section in the October '06 edition of "Bike" magazine on the science and psychology of danger. Definitely worth a read. If you have or can find a copy read carefully the sidebar titled "Are Car Drivers The Problem?". Interesting statistics. Might blow a myth or two.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Thread Information