Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is it really true that everybody crashes?

Bike
    '99 Suzuki GSF250 Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    There is an often repeated mantra on this site...."all cagers are out to kill you!"......
    I think this is more of a perception than a reality that is passed on from biker to biker like a juicy piece of gossip. I might well be leading a charmed life but the statement does not fit my experience. While I have had the odd "experience" or two with car drivers, given the number I encounter on any ride I have been pleasantly surprised at how many will pull to the left to let me pass without having to cross the centre line and occaisionally, in the twisties, almost come to a stop to let myself and others carry on through. I always acknowledge their actions and am constantly surprised at how many bikers do not. Like I said, maybe I am lucky. Either that or the sight of a leather clad blimp on a canary yellow bike is too much for some drivers to have in their rear view mirrors, or maybe they just need a good laugh.......("hey kids, take a look at this!!....)

Just a few points from the article mentioned in my last post in this thread;(please bear in mind this is a discussion Titled "Are Car Drivers The Problem?" and is in reference to the involvement of cagers in biker deaths i.e they are all out to kill you).
    "Sussex Police Inspector Simon Labbett spent many years trying to understand why bikers die........His research tracked down what kinds of bike were involved in all 55 fatal accidents in Sussex between 2000 and 2003.....of the 55 fatalities, 37 occurred on sportbikes, 11 on sports tourers, two on commuters, one on a tourer and one on a retro.....and in more than 9 out of 10 of these deaths, rider error - usually excessive speed - was the main cause of the crash.............The reasons why car drivers take the rap are easy enough to understand even if they are flawed....most bike collisions happen in built up areas and those are indeed someone else's fault - a driver emerging from a side road and the familiar "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" story. However most fatal accidents happen in 60mph limits on open roads. Failure to see the bike (as a reason for the accident) goes down dramatically and rider error becomes much more significant....."
    Food for thought for all of us, methinks.
    I know what you mean - they aren't all out to kill you, but it pays to take the attitude that they are. It keeps you on toes, being aware of what is happening on all sides of you, at all times. I'm also surprised that a lot of riders don't have that attitude towards drivers who are nice enough to move a little to the left - ti me, it is just common courtesy. If a driver is nice enough to move a little to the left, it's only fair that I at least aknowledge the gesture by waving at him as I go past to show my appreciation
    Hold my trophy while I kiss your girlfriend

Bike
    2004 suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    Hope you learn something from my stupidity:
    Tips: learn all you can, wear the best gear you can afford, treat all other motorists like they are out to get you and then, you certainly will shorten the odds and may never have an off.

Bike
    2002 CBR954RR
    Pretend you are invisible then you'll be fine. On the first day I road my CBR600F a few years ago, I had 3 f*****s pull out on me en route to work and that was all within a 5 km trip!

I crashed my CBX550F2 in '88 when a girl on a bicycle did U-turn in front of me and I crashed the aforementioned CBR on the West Coast when I was going too quick for a tight corner, panicked, hit the front brake and leapt off when I could see a ravine looming up on me!

About 2 years ago a stupid b***h cut in front of me, I had the bike (a 01 R1) sideways with my left on the ground motocross style and skidding into the kerb on the opposite side of the road. I rode after her and had a few words. I have friends who are handy with ticket books and needless to say she was short of $150 by the end of the day.
    "stuff everything, I've still got my bike"-Ogri

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisanga View Post
    Is it true that everyone crashes?
    Yes ...

Thread Information