Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest old fart

Bike
    1990 Honda VFR750

Latest old fart

Spurred on by jrandom's subtle prodding here i am. I've been back on the bike now for six years, graduating to the VFR750 three years ago. Spent more time on human-powered two wheelers with the scars to prove it. Funny how I felt OK about careering down a hill at 80km/hr+ in a racing peloton in the wet with only a few microns of lycra on the hips/shoulders and a couple of leather straps on my head. Now its full body suit, CE armour, boots, gloves and full helmet.

I wouldn't trade the bike on anything - it has the power to scare me and the stopping power/handling to calm me. It short it behaves better than I do. But then maybe a slightly later VFR with fuel injection. Forget the VTEC versions - I never rev over 8000 rpm anyway . I also dislike the current angular industrial design trend. I want curves.

So if you see a black VFR timidly following the traffic and occasionally ( really never, officer, truly ) lane spliiting. That's me.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Welcome fellow V4 rider.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, Latest Old Fart.

Yeah, the 90-93 VFR is arguably the bestest looking one anyway, even if a little podgy and lacking in various gee-gaws that festoon the later models, such as the odd HP or two, digital doodads, that sort of thing.

Now be very careful - my black VFR was very lazy, and had a penchant for lying down in the middle of the road at inopportune times, and those bits of Granite Blue Metallic plastic are quite pricey, as are the special dzus fasteners that hold them on.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Welcome to the site VV!

welcome VivaVee

i love the vfr750/800, pity they went and ruined it with the the vfr800 vtec what a ugly thing

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yeah I still reckon mine (94-97) was the best looking model. Neither of the 800's that has followed has done it for me and going back to cam chains with the V-Tec version was just plain against the VFR principles as far as I'm concerned.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaVee
    Spurred on by jrandom's subtle prodding here i am.
    Hi there and welcome VV. I can't quite understand how you would want *more* of JR's company but I guess he rubs off on you after a while huh?

Enjoy KB!

Zed

Bike
    1990 Honda VFR750
    My more embarassing moments have been at speeds of 0-2km/h. The VFR has a tendency to go to sleep and kind of lie down like an old horse. Unlike a horse the cursed thing will not get up on its own no matter how hard I kick it. Being of lesser structural integrity than I care to admit to, I have needed a pitying bystander to help wake the beast and get it upright. Black duct tape and that modern miracle - black car wax - has hidden most of the damage to date. Excepting the cage that attempted a turn in front of me and then stopped. So i stopped - halfway through his bumper. And I always wanted to fly ...

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    Yeah I still reckon mine (94-97) was the best looking model.
    Mmmm...mebbe.
    - Nah!
    But it is probably the best all-round VFR, althought the 86-89 one was lighter and more sporty, and the later models (like the VTec) are better handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    Neither of the 800's that has followed has done it for me and going back to cam chains with the V-Tec version was just plain against the VFR principles as far as I'm concerned.
    Same here. Honda has an apalling record with camchains, and took a big step backwards there. I think they did it mainly to meet noise regulations (but I'm betting a worn camchain will prove to be a heap noisier than scissor-gear drive!)
    Wish my VTR had gear-driven cams.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    I guess he rubs off on you after a while huh?
    Only in the most metaphorical of senses.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    You can be sure that's all I meant JR...I was speaking from my experience with you btw

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    get ya mind out of the gutter you dirty little fxr rider you dc:<

Bike
    1990 Honda VFR750
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    Hi there and welcome VV. I can't quite understand how you would want *more* of JR's company but I guess he rubs off on you after a while huh?

Enjoy KB!

Zed
    Regrettably I have to work with him. It is you guys I worry about - you have a choice. More worrying is on the occasions when he passes me on the way home - it is enough to put anyone off their ride.

Bike
    None any more
    Yet another old fart in our gargre! Welcome.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaVee
    Regrettably I have to work with him. It is you guys I worry about - you have a choice. More worrying is on the occasions when he passes me on the way home - it is enough to put anyone off their ride.
    Lol, but the REAL question for you VV is - were you an eye witness to the wheelie JR pulled in his avatar photo?? Can you verify once and for all that it is not a photoshop special?!

Thread Information