Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Scorpio test

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yamaha Scorpio test

Working within a budget
    2007 Yamaha Scorpio Review

Now I must admit, I had asked to write a review on this bike, but Yamaha seemed suspicious of my motives, and also believed that this bike would sell in great numbers by itself, thanks to their advertising.
    I happened to have the opportunity to ride on thanks to an individual I met one Saturday morning, and invited him on the ride we were on.
    Now I must admit, I only rode this bike for 1 km or so, but I can give you my thoughts, as so many of you have asked me to do with this bike.

First impressions of this bike were that this is aimed squarely at the GN 250 market, in my opinion it’s a little late.
    I got my GN 250 in 2004, and it was the second shipment, 2 years later, and goodness knows how many GN’s later, Yamaha brings out a rival.
    In my opinion, the demand was there before 2004 for a cheap 250 single, and Yamaha should have got in first, due to exceptional demand, I waited 3 months for my GN!
    Anyhow, hindsight is easy, onto the real stuff.
    The bikes started up, I must say, the narrow “sit up and beg” bars felt strange, but the bike felt small and light beneath me.
    This example only had 10km on it; hence the gearbox had a slight lack of feel about it.
    No matter what the salesmen at Yamaha tell you, this is now powerhouse, I could lift the front wheel without using the clutch, but that’s something im good at, and ill admit, it won’t go very high.
    The bike tracks well through a corner, although it feels light, and the bars didn’t come natural to me. I felt the rear shock was over-sprung, the front was ok for a commuter though.
    Brakes work well enough, although the rear had zero feel, which brings back Hyosung comet memories!
    The seat in comfortable, soft, and adequately sized, good for a few hours I think!
    Whilst riding this bike, it made me think of my old CG 125, which is a very similar kind of bikes, but a twin springer!
    The power delivery is very linear, with no peaks felt. To me it feels very GN 250 like, it sound good though, with a distinctive throaty sound about it.
    I found the power to be acceptable, with quite good torque, without needing to rev the bike too high.
    I hit 120kmh on it, and flicked it through a few corners, that’s where it shines, it’s a bit light for long sweepers.
    But where I see this bike fitting in is for people who are Dutch, Scottish, or just not so well off (students etc..)
    The kind of people who wake up each morning and just ride it to work and back again, and maybe a few trips in between, for the student who gets up 15 mins before his lecture/class starts and cane’s it to Uni/Tech/School.
    This bike appears to beat the GN 250 for quality, and I can say that, because I owned one!
    So, would I buy one? Yes, if I was after a sub 4k new bike to do everything on-it would be my pick!

Thanks to rob for trusting me with his bike for this review

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Nice review dude.

But.

GN's have been around since '82.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2000 Kr150 (Modified)
    This is my first bike and with nearly no previous riding experiance I feel it is a really comfortable easy to ride bike for a beginner. On the ride to raglan with Carver I was a bit nervous on it due to the fact i only had a grand total of 120km of riding experiance but now i am beginning to get a bit of confidence on it i am finding it a whole lot of fun. I feel i may need to upgrade to a faster bike in 6 months to a year but as it is a new bike the resale should be really good. I would Recomend it to anyone and the guys at waikato yamaha were really helpfull and did me a great deal on the bike and all the kit to go with it.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    i must say, this bike would be good for a cheap road legal stunt bike, it does good wheelies, and stoppies.
    changing the bars is a must though!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The sr250s have been in the country a few years so Yamahas had a bike in the "GN" market for a while. Since the '80s in fact.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    The sr250s have been in the country a few years so Yamahas had a bike in the "GN" market for a while. Since the '80s in fact.
    kinsa, but the SR was a bit out due to its much higher price-2k more than the ginny as opposed to $450 difference.
    working within a budget

Bike
    bike with 4 wheels!
    I'm thinking of getting a Scorpio myself actually. I'm a small person so I really like a low bike I can plant my feet on the groud with. I just started to learn today on a CBR250 and I almost shat myself... renegade master's bike is awesome.. though having no experience what so ever and learning to get going on that was scary...

anyway back on the point. the Scorpio looks like a really great bike for me.. I'm not in the money, so it's affordable and its not like i'd be lying down on the tank almost like with the CBR (i have short arms too ... so i was REALLY close to the tank... ouch..)

not to mention weight... 130 kg dry weight was really a little too much for me to handle it felt as though it wanted to crush me when i pushed it round a corner.. so at 124kg dry weight for the scorpio, it would be awesome.

my wrists are a tad sore now though. lol.
    "Take life one day at a time. Make mistakes. Learn from them. Come out a better person. Never regret the things that have gotten you where you are today."

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_AJ View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Scorpio myself actually. I'm a small person so I really like a low bike I can plant my feet on the groud with. I just started to learn today on a CBR250 and I almost shat myself... renegade master's bike is awesome.. though having no experience what so ever and learning to get going on that was scary...

anyway back on the point. the Scorpio looks like a really great bike for me.. I'm not in the money, so it's affordable and its not like i'd be lying down on the tank almost like with the CBR (i have short arms too ... so i was REALLY close to the tank... ouch..)

not to mention weight... 130 kg dry weight was really a little too much for me to handle it felt as though it wanted to crush me when i pushed it round a corner.. so at 124kg dry weight for the scorpio, it would be awesome.

my wrists are a tad sore now though. lol.
    yeah, it would be a good learner bike
    also check out the NXR 125 if your a hardcore n00b

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    i've riden Mystery/The Stranger's scorpio many a time. Once was back to back with a modified ZX-10R with a bit more than 160hp at the wheel.

For a very entry level bike this thing is the bees knees.

Most fun i've had on a commuter full stop, even got out to over 140kmh when running on 96 - never got more than 110kmh on a GN250 and this even has 25cc less!

Bike
    Scorpio
    The Scorpio looks like a really great bike for me
    Yes, I think it might be. I'm very happy with mine, though at 90 kg I probably weigh a bit more than you do. I could handle a larger bike, and I've had the full license for over 30 years, but the Scorpio is just right for what I do with it, and the price was very attractive. (It's the first motor vehicle I've ever owned from brand new, and it will probably be the last.)

I'd like to suggest, though, that as you learn to ride your ideas about what you can handle may well change. Are you planning to buy a bike soon? You *might* be better off buying something cheap to learn on and then review your options.

Bike
    bike with 4 wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    Yes, I think it might be. I'm very happy with mine, though at 90 kg I probably weigh a bit more than you do. I could handle a larger bike, and I've had the full license for over 30 years, but the Scorpio is just right for what I do with it, and the price was very attractive. (It's the first motor vehicle I've ever owned from brand new, and it will probably be the last.)

I'd like to suggest, though, that as you learn to ride your ideas about what you can handle may well change. Are you planning to buy a bike soon? You *might* be better off buying something cheap to learn on and then review your options.
    yeah, thats what i'm looking for. cheap and comfortable... i dont like the cbr25rr that i've been using so far.. but that may just be due to it being too powerful and just starting out i'm not used to it.

but i'm stuck for cash anyway.. so i have to go for cheap.. even if i do decide to get the scorpio i have to get it on finance and save for the deposit even.
    "Take life one day at a time. Make mistakes. Learn from them. Come out a better person. Never regret the things that have gotten you where you are today."

Bike
    2017 V-Strom 650
    yeah, thats what i'm looking for. cheap and comfortable... i dont like the cbr25rr that i've been using so far.. but that may just be due to it being too powerful and just starting out i'm not used to it.

but i'm stuck for cash anyway.. so i have to go for cheap.. even if i do decide to get the scorpio i have to get it on finance and save for the deposit even.
    Another option if you wanted to spend 1grand more is the Honda CBF250 its 2000 bucks off still and maybe its just me but i do like the styling better. But i would say if money is really an issue go with the Scorpio from what i heard gr8 bikes . Carver you have ridden both, comparison is the 1grand more worth it?

Bike
    Scorpio
    yeah, thats what i'm looking for. cheap and comfortable... i dont like the cbr250rr that i've been using so far.. but that may just be due to it being too powerful and just starting out i'm not used to it.
    It sounds like the riding position doesn't suit you either.

In that case I think you might be better off looking for something second-hand. And Scorpios haven't been on the market long, so there aren't any good-value examples around. You might have to settle for a GN250 .

Make sure you leave enough money to buy yourself decent protective gear.

There's lots of advice on buying your first bike on this site.

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicksta View Post
    Another option if you wanted to spend 1grand more is the Honda CBF250 its 2000 bucks off still
    Last time I looked it was $5500, which seemed way overpriced for an agricultural single. What is it now?

Bike
    2017 V-Strom 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    Last time I looked it was $5500, which seemed way overpriced for an agricultural single. What is it now?
    I got mine for $4995+orc. But they were $6995 at one stage now that was a rip! I would like to ride a Scorpio one day i would imagine the power would be fairly similar.

Thread Information