Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of protecting the rest of you

Bike
    RF900

The importance of protecting the rest of you

Howdy everyone,

Just came across some really important info on one of the sites linked in the survival forum, so i thought I'd quote some of it:

"In the case of fatal accidents, there was one more important discovery in the Hurt Report: There were essentially no deaths to helmeted riders from head injuries alone.

Some people in the study, those involved in truly awful, bone-crushing, aorta-popping crashes, did sustain potentially fatal head injuries even though they were wearing helmets. The problem was that they also had, on average, three other injuries that would have killed them if the head injury hadn't.

In other words, a crash violent enough to overwhelm any decent helmet will usually destroy the rest of the body as well. Newman put this into perspective. "In most cases, bottoming [compressing a helmet's EPS completely] is not going to occur except in really violent accidents. And in these kind of cases, one might legitimately wonder whether there is anything you could do."

In my book this means that the rest of your riding gear is just as important as your helmet. If not more. And I know that I didn't always realize that, especially when I was a bit younger. Anyway, that's my 2cents' worth.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    So what gear will prevent aorta rupture?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    RF900
    A foam boiler suit.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Not actually moving??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    RF900
    Which should put you on kiwisofarider.co.nz. And by the way, the holy rollers would argue with you, that life IS a rehearsal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Which should put you on kiwisofarider.co.nz. And by the way, the holy rollers would argue with you, that life IS a rehearsal.
    To hijack the thread a little: I've never had anybody yet come up to me and say "Shee-it man, I made sooo many screw-ups last life but now I've got it sorted after the last rehearsal" so I guess the holy rollers are just guessing?

But back on topic: How much armour/padding etc do you need to wear before you can be confident of binning and ending up unscathed??

I guess generally it's all up to personal preferance balanced with practicality eh?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    RF900
    I can't disagree with what you say...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    You can't protect yourself from the internal organ damage generated by rapid negative acceleration. You can only protect the body's biggest organ, your skin, and possibly your bones.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    One point worth bearing in mind (and a reason why helmets are compulsary and other stuff not), is that even a relatively mild head injury that does not kill you (or anywhere near it), can still leave you totally buggered for the rest of your life.

Other non-fatal injuries, you usually get more or less recovered. And even if they leave you crippled, in a wheelchair, say, you can still go on to have a reasonably decent life . Whereas head trauma can leave you totally f**ked, not even really functioning on a human being level.

(I am aware that many injuries never completely heal, and that many can have life long associated health problems. I'm not minimising that, just pointing out that usually it's not as bad as being a vegetable)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    RF900
    Once again, I agree, the point being that I'd much rather end up with internal organ damage, which although it sounds nasty, can be recovered from to a reasonable extent /unless it's a ripped off aorta or the likes/ than a neurological injury such as a severed spinal canal or other vegetable-producing injuries. In that case I'm not so sure i'd want to survive anyway. Hence all the back protectors etc...

Bike
    RF900
    Amen to that, Ixion. And btw, here is an interesting article as well:

http://www.fmq.qc.ca/pdf/amorce-freinage_eng.pdf

But I think how you look is most important,no one is going to wear silly looking protective gear.Now,if it makes them look something they are not,something that other people admire - then yes they will wear it,and more importantly....to pay a fortune for it.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    RF900
    This is no fun. We have to find a topic on which we actually DISAGREE :-B

Bike
    True Motu, and the fashion m/c clothing types won't be making their fortunes out of THIS guy.

Bike
    RF900
    They wouldn't be making money off me even if I actually had it.

Thread Information