Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IT/Computer freaks

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    My giga bits are bigger than your mega bits

Bike
    A Cage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    One word . AIX (though this is actually from Solaris).

Mind you, I know guys who say that if it's not watercooled, and you can't walk inside it, it's a toy.
    There are fuckall if "mainframes" of that size left these days. The supercomputers all tend to be clusters. Scary when you think my cellphone is prolly more powerful than some of the old crays :-)

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    Wake up DD, wake up. How fucken long do they need to learn these things?
    You think that just because you have recently discovered an Apple that they are new or something? Right from the first crapple produced the zealots have been saying the same thing.
    Yes, yes, yes, but why is that PC users are, by and large, sooo friggin blinkered by what they see as something that's alien to them. Is it an ignorance about Macs? Is it a fear of them? Is it a reluctance to admit that there might just be something good about them? Why do they always malign Macs as you have above....?

My guess it's a loyalty thing, after all we Mac monkeys are perhaps guilty of the same crime. But I think in general we are more tolerant of PC's than the other way round.

Funny old world innit?

"...You're gonna have to face it, your dick needs a rub" Robert Palmer "Addicted to Love"

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebie13 View Post
    My guess it's a loyalty thing, after all we Mac monkeys are perhaps guilty of the same crime. But I think in general we are more tolerant of PC's than the other way round.

Funny old world innit?
    At the end of the day I don't give a rats arse what puter I use as long as if it has the software I need to do the task at hand...

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebie13 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, but why is that PC users are, by and large, sooo friggin blinkered by what they see as something that's alien to them. Is it an ignorance about Macs? Is it a fear of them? Is it a reluctance to admit that there might just be something good about them? Why do they always malign Macs as you have above....?

Funny old world innit?
    Nah I am not maligning them (Macs). Just winding DD up is all.
    Way I see it there are many factors which come into it.

It probably doesn't matter which platform is best (to the consumer) people tend to run with what they know and what they know others have and use. If you have a pool of people (employees and potential employees) whom already know how to use Windows, wouldn't you run with that? The costs of training and loss of productivity to change are very often HUGE. Why would you do it if you don't have to?

I use Windoze because I know all of our clients use Windoze (some also use others as well) so why should I care if Apple or Linux is better. We invested a lot of time with Linux, learning, testing and becoming competant with the plan to go out and sell it. What a cool OS (in it's various guises) solid, stable, unbloated and well priced. But shit, what a hard thing to sell. There is the perception that, well it's free, how can it be any good. Plus my old favourite - What about support? Well hell you don't actually get support from Micro$oft, but the customer thinks they do and perception is everything.

Most customers run some form of custom software, beit an excel spreadsheet written by a relative which they think is the bees knees or some full blown multi million dollar custom application. To most businesses that is their reason for computing most wont change platforms for fear of disrupting this. Sometimes that fear is a reality sometimes it is not, but is is a fear none the less. There is also a measure of comfort in knowing that you have developed an application on a well known and widely available platform. We picked up a client who "lost" their developer - he dropped off the face of the earth, as they are want to do from time to time. Because their all important mission critical application was written in ASP 2 running on IIS and has a SQL server back end it was easy for me to pick up and run with. There would be a thousand people out there that could have done this. But not so with all platforms.

Personally I don't believe that the cost of computing is that great in most businesses as to warrant the time and effort to try and make a change, and even if it is, you would need to demonstrate a significant cost saving (after allowing for loss of productivity and training etc) to induce a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Various
    Or I could just be full of shit of course.
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    In my opinion theres nothing good about Macs. :
    Must be a youngin then cos if you knew about both you would know about the dodgeyness of pc hardware in conparison to a mac.
    I hate mac's, as well as BMW's, Ferraris and Ducati's........but hardware in these companies is what sets them apart - love or hate them, its the top of the field. Dont believe me, go listen to the fan noise in a Mac Classic....

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    Name me ONE windows operating system available today that is 100% secure. The 'band aid' approach doesnt work.

The only flaw with Macs is that I sometimes use MSN - which is a microsoft product. And even then the only virus' that can attack only affect msn, nothing else.
    Vista is secure, too secure. The firewall would pop up everytime i scratch myself.
    Pity its as useless as mac os cos nothing runs on it. I had to stop my beta testing to play games

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Must be a youngin then cos if you knew about both you would know about the dodgeyness of pc hardware in conparison to a mac.
    I hate mac's, as well as BMW's, Ferraris and Ducati's........but hardware in these companies is what sets them apart - love or hate them, its the top of the field. Dont believe me, go listen to the fan noise in a Mac Classic....
    Ha ha, spot the troll.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Just incase you haven't resolved the issue yet; if the fdisk /mbr didn't work, you cantry a low level format. If it's an IDE drive (likely), the a tool like maxllf should work fine.

PS - Can you knob-head Mac users just leave a support thread alone of your "mY M4C !s Mo|23 uB3r than ur PC j00 l0$er" for at least one time in your miserable existences?

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    Name me ONE windows operating system available today that is 100% secure. The 'band aid' approach doesnt work.

The only flaw with Macs is that I sometimes use MSN - which is a microsoft product. And even then the only virus' that can attack only affect msn, nothing else.
    Name any secure OS, there is no such thing... (any probably never will...) if you believe the mac is secure you are a fool. You just have to read the security reports with the number flaws found regularly with all OS's

Bike
    1990 Honda Goldwing
    Sniper, how have you got on with re-partitioning the hard disk and re-installing your OS? Your XP cd should make it a pretty straightforward task.

As was mentioned earlier, once you have created a partition, format it as NTFS rather than FAT.
    Keep the shiny side upright, Rhino.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
    Just incase you haven't resolved the issue yet; if the fdisk /mbr didn't work, you cantry a low level format. If it's an IDE drive (likely), the a tool like maxllf should work fine.

PS - Can you knob-head Mac users just leave a support thread alone of your "mY M4C !s Mo|23 uB3r than ur PC j00 l0$er" for at least one time in your miserable existences?
    FDISK /mbr didnt do a bloody thing. It just moved down a space and gave me the c:/ prompt again

Surely if I type "format c:" it should erase anything and everything on the harddrive including the /mbr shouldnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Sniper, how have you got on with re-partitioning the hard disk and re-installing your OS? Your XP cd should make it a pretty straightforward task.

As was mentioned earlier, once you have created a partition, format it as NTFS rather than FAT.
    Yea tried that mate and formatted it as NTFS. It goes through extracting all the files and then when it comes to the setup screen, I get a fatal error which says something along the lines of "i868/asus/..." not found. I'll get the exact error written down later

Its really not doing what it says its meant to do on the web or what people are saying here.

The only other thing I can think of is does anyone have a WinXP pro installation disk I could try, maybe there is something up with mine. Otherwise its going with me to the firing range.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

You need be able to boot the laptop from the XP CD.

You don't need any partitioning software or even to use the command prompt at all.

Set your BIOS startup preferences to boot from the CD drive.

It will take you to a blue XP install screen. It will give you options. First delete all partitions it lists, then re-partition one or more segments.

Then tell it to install XP on the C: segment, but make sure you tell it to format the partition first, using the NTFS file system.

Does that help at all?

...or maybe you've already tried that, if so then yes, try a new CD before smashing the laptop...
    "I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and I dont give a fuck if you're at the top!!!"

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    You need be able to boot the laptop from the XP CD.

You don't need any partitioning software or even to use the command prompt at all.

Set your BIOS startup preferences to boot from the CD drive.

It will take you to a blue XP install screen. It will give you options. First delete all partitions it lists, then re-partition one or more segments.

Then tell it to install XP on the C: segment, but make sure you tell it to format the partition first, using the NTFS file system.

Does that help at all?

...or maybe you've already tried that, if so then yes, try a new CD before smashing the laptop...
    Lol, yep, thats been tried a few times and Im still getting the fatal error.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Thread Information