Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IT/Computer freaks

Bike
    Aquired by locals

IT/Computer freaks

Im at a complete loss here.

Was doing a system restore on my laptop the other day and halfway through the screen turned red and told me it couldnt complete, then it randomly restarted and ran through the first bit of entering the recovery program before popping up with an error message saying
    GLUE 2 not found
    I would grab a screen shot but....

Then it entered part of the recovery program before giving me an error message "Glue Parts unavailible" and then it kicks me into DOS.

So I looked up on the net and it seems like a very weird and complicated problem involving drive partitioning and also how to fix it. So I followed the instructions to the letter and it still decided to piss me off and continue giving me the same issue.

I happened to have a WinXP pro disk lying around (and my original key) so I thought I'll try reinstalling the OS from scratch and then install the drivers from another disk I have. I got through all the text of it checking the system and extracting the files, but when it came to the setup screen and installing it, I got a Fatal system error (I'll have to tell you the exact error message later) and I couldnt complete the installation.

So I now have absolutly no bloody idea whats going on except it has to be something to do with hardware considering my hard drive is formatted and contains sweet FA. And checking the WinXP pro installation disk on the desktop system, it works fine, so it cant be the CD.

Any bright ideas or should I be looking at buying another laptop? I suppose I better let you know too that I have managed to contact NEC who have no idea what the hell a GLUE error is. Useless pricks
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

When you tried to re-install the OS, did you format the partition before starting the install?

Delete all the partitions and re-partition and format...you may have already tried that of course.

Otherwise you may just need a new HDD rather than a whole new laptop.
    "I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and I dont give a fuck if you're at the top!!!"

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    It's simple really....ditch your PC (or if you can't bear to part with it, keep it for games) and buy yourself a Mac!
    Elegant, intuitive, simple to use, stable and virtually virus free.
    Make the change like many PC users...once smitten you'll never go back!

"...You're gonna have to face it, your dick needs a rub" Robert Palmer "Addicted to Love"

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    Delete all the partitions and re-partition and format...
    Wot 'e said.

Sounds to me like you've got one of those horrible pre-partitioned laptop setups with extra bootable so-called goodness. I always hose the fuckers and do a vanilla OS install on a new single partition.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    When you tried to re-install the OS, did you format the partition before starting the install?

Delete all the partitions and re-partition and format...you may have already tried that of course.

Otherwise you may just need a new HDD rather than a whole new laptop.
    I did try that, and then run the recovery program, but I didnt reformat the drive before starting the OS install, I might delete all partitions and have one main one, then format the drive and try again.

Sound like a plan or not recommended?

Cheers for the advice guys
    Than facing fearful odds

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    delete all partitions and have one main one, then format the drive and try again.

Sound like a plan or not recommended?
    Yup, do that.

Make sure you kill all the old partitions and then create a new one for formatting. The XP installer lets you do that up front.

Make sure you format with NTFS, too, not FAT.
    - mikey

Definately do that.

When doing a clean OS install it is essential to delete the partitions, then re-partition and fully format before starting the install.

Otherwise it is just writing over existing files and the problem most likely will persist.

Good luck.

...oh and for the record, Mac's are shit unless you're into graphic design or video editing.

(That should start some shit...)

Edit: Fish beat me to it!
    "I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and I dont give a fuck if you're at the top!!!"

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    sounds like a plan. If it doesn't work out you could always put linux on it and keep it as a linux workstation.

[edit] - three people replied at the same time saying it's a good idea. Worth a try
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebie13 View Post
    It's simple really....ditch your PC (or if you can't bear to part with it, keep it for games) and buy yourself a Mac!

tehehe

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    Here's another one:

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"
    Last edited by bobsmith; 9th January 2007 at 10:16. Reason: missed the end of the linux airline bit...
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Hahahahahahahaha fuck that is in awesome cartoon!!!

It's soooo true as well.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    I know a wee bit, but partitioning things are new for me. I need to use FDISK to delete partitions and make new ones dont I? And then format the new partition to make it recognisable. Do I need to label the partition? If the is no partitions showing under FDISK, then does it mean there are no partitions period?
    Than facing fearful odds

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebie13 View Post
    Macs have there own problems... and can have similar probles as PCs

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    I know a wee bit, but partitioning things are new for me. I need to use FDISK to delete partitions and make new ones dont I?
    You said you had an XP install boot CD.

Boot from that, and use the available partition management options when it starts up and asks you where to install it.

FDISK is so 1990s.
    - mikey

Bike
    black one,red one and a yellow one :)

munted mbr perchance?

you might have a munted master boot record - you'll need to fdisk this as well as the drive as the mbr sits in a different part on the drive and is not picked up by a normal partition fdisk.

try this at a command prompt
    fdisk /mbr c:

or have a look at the following link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013

good luck

Thread Information