Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: IT/Computer freaks

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    I used to think I was $hit hot, now I'd say I was average after having worked with some real coding guru's.
    Me, I've always found that guys I have real reason to respect, professionally, don't even think in terms of whether someone's 'shit hot' or not. I certainly avoid trying to blow my own trumpet in that respect. I measure people's worth in terms of their ability to deliver on a requirement. Too many 'shit hot' guys are people I'd never want on my team if I was developing something I'd personally invested in the success of.

NZ wages are a pittance
    Pardon? Life is pretty good on $85-100K in NZ. Even in Auckland. It's not hard to get, particularly if you don't mind a bit of hourly-rate contracting.

Back in the UK...
    Ahhhhhh. It all becomes clear now. You're a whinging Pom.

It's a sad fact but the engineers who develop the products get far less money than the marketing and salespeople.
    Pig's arse.

You're waaaay too cynical. Bad stuff happening to you (as it obviously has) is no reason to be such a wet-blanket on the whole industry. Personally, I've always found my career as a software developer rewarding. More or less. Beats the shit out of being a lawyer, anyway.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Me, I've always found that guys I have real reason to respect, professionally, don't even think in terms of whether someone's 'shit hot' or not.
    Yeah but everyone thinks they're shit hot in their early 20's. Then reality sets in :-)

Pardon? Life is pretty good on $85-100K in NZ. Even in Auckland. It's not hard to get, particularly if you don't mind a bit of hourly-rate contracting.
    Erm...that's not a point I was arguing about. Life's good in NZ on that money. Life's average to $hit in most other 1st world countries on that money

Ahhhhhh. It all becomes clear now. You're a whinging Pom.
    Not sure If I'm a pom. Depends on your definition.

Pig's arse.
    You're waaaay too cynical. Bad stuff happening to you (as it obviously has) is no reason to be such a wet-blanket on the whole industry. Personally, I've
    Yer..my glass is normally half empty. Maybe I saw too many middle aged coders (a.k.a. way more experienced and better paid than moi) in London hit the dol(e)drums after the 2000 downturn.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    $160 for a DC port installed Apparently thats been the source of strange ghoulish goingons with in my laptop

Now I know Im in the wrong profession
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Fatbob
    I'll just chime in here and say

I'm pretty sick of watching sales people get $100K + when I don't

I've heard plenty of them harp on about how I wouldn't have any work to do if they weren't out selling.
    Well they would have anything to sell if I weren't in here coding.

employers need to see the benefit of all the team members, not just the ones that wine and dine the customers

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminalAddict View Post
    I'm pretty sick of watch sales people get $100 + when I don't...
    You're probably an smelly, diffident, socially inept chap with no particular genius. A good salesman, on the other hand, is often a cunt, but can directly influence a company's fortunes toward success or failure.

You also forget that almost all of your hated salesmen's incomes come from performance-related criteria like commissions. You have the luxury of going home at night and playing with your X-Box, secure in the knowledge that next month's salary will be the same as the last, and that your job is probably secure in the face of anything but ridiculously blatant stupidity.

Life's a bitch. Either make that fact work to your benefit, or get over it.
    - mikey

Kingslander Guest
    Ask everyone you know for anyone who works in the ACC for some inside help. ditto to yous reading this reply - do u know anyone who works within acc who might be able to help?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingslander View Post
    Ask everyone you know for anyone who works in the ACC for some inside help. ditto to yous reading this reply - do u know anyone who works within acc who might be able to help?
    That was the most impressively random response I've seen in a while.

Are you sure you posted to the right thread?
    - mikey

Bike
    Fatbob
    fish:
    I know my place in life and have accepted my "lot" .. and after all its not a bad "lot"
    but sales people can fuck off with the superiority attitude.

I don't have the luxury of turning off at night as I'm at "that" age when bosses seem to think I'm the best choice for after hours call out

sure I don't have a performance related income .. unless of course I'm one of those contractor types who get paid big bucks, and must perform or the contract doesn't get renewed. And yet even still, when I have been a performance related contractor, the sales people gave me that "you need me, I don't need you" attitude.

maybe its just a vodafone thing

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminalAddict View Post
    but sales people can fuck off with the superiority attitude.
    Oh, agreed. Absolutely. Never met a sales guy I liked. I just don't feel right whinging about the pay.

From what I've heard, Vodafone NZ is a pretty nasty lair of general corporate bullshit. Most telcos are, though.
    - mikey

Bike
    tedium
    secure in the knowledge that next month's salary will be the same as the last, and that your job is probably secure in the face of anything but ridiculously blatant stupidity.
    Like outsourcing to a third world country. Thank @#$ck NZ is pretty much third world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    tedium
    Oh, agreed. Absolutely. Never met a sales guy I liked. I just don't feel right whinging about the pay.

From what I've heard, Vodafone NZ is a pretty nasty lair of general corporate bullshit. Most telcos are, though.
    Erm.. yeah. I used to work for Lucent/Avaya. Shiny slimy salespeople were like cockroaches. We couldn't understand the need for "channel" and all the fuckin middlemen resellers. If they'd put our product on a website or on the shelves of Tesco and it would have flew of the shelves as it was well engineered and easy to install.

Resellers get awfully upset if you develop a product that actually has no bugs and is easy enough to use without them being able to supply add on "support" and "training" packages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Thread Information