Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer bimbo seeks help!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Unhappy Computer bimbo seeks help!

Hi All you lovely computer literate chaps or chapesses I'm having a problem with my PC not being able to display goverment dept websites! I cannot get into www.wcc.govt.nz or http://www.stats.govt.nz/ It just comes up with
    "The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer"

I used to be able to get into them and now I can't. I really need to be able to for my Uni work. I am a really PC bimbo so any and all help would be appreciated. I can access them at work but of course thats not a lot of use as I'm only at work 2hrs a day 4 days a week. Help, somebody please help!

Thanks Cathy
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Nooooo... I can see those pages fine.

Did you try turning your computer off and on again?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Don't you mean "newbie" or "noob", rather than "bimbo"?

Where are you trying to access it from - if you're doing it from work, your firewall may be stopping access. I think.
    Mebbe.
    (I used to know this stuff, back when I was Systems Manager, but now I'm just a drone, who spends all day typing crap to KiwiBiker...)
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    if you're doing it from work, your firewall may be stopping access
    Silly person! She implied that she was at home by saying that she wasn't at work.

CSL - what ISP are you using for your dial-up? Xtra? ClearNet? Paradise?
    - mikey

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    [ctrl]-[f5] from explorer forces a refresh from the server rather than from cache. Try a different browser. Mozilla Firefox is a good one. It always a good idea to have two on your PC. It helps to determine if the problem is browser or PC related.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    CSL - run a command prompt (there will be an icon in your Start Menu for one somewhere) and enter the command:

C:\>ping http://www.stats.govt.nz/

and post here what it says as output...
    - mikey

Bike
    XT600
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    CSL - run a command prompt (there will be an icon in your Start Menu for one somewhere) and enter the command:

C:\>ping http://www.stats.govt.nz/

and post here what it says as output...
    err. that should be "ping www.stats.govt.nz" (miss off the http bit)

Also what about other sites? Does google.com work?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Hey CSL...

are you using paradise at home?

I am, and have been having troubles of late getting to sites.

The error you are getting is usually caused by not being able to find the actual site.

When you type in a URL (you know, www.stats.govt.nz), your computer sends the request to a machine called the "Domain Name Server".

This machine has a list of all the sites and the actual address, ie 203.79.151.34, of the actual web site.

Every hour or so this list has to be updated. This is called a "zone rebuild"

Sometimes you can get caught in the middle of a rebuild and the DNS server is either slow to respond, or does not have that information available.

Another possible option is that your computer has not properly allocated a DNS server when you log on.

If you are like most people with dialup you will be using DCHP (or dynamically controlled host protocol) to assign your ip address, which basically means that when you log on you are "assigned" an IP address from a pool of available numbers. You should also be allocated the DNS server numbers dynamically.

Which brings me to my original question. I have found that paradise is slow to allocate the DNS servers on logon, which can cause you to have problems when you try and access the internet.

What OS are you using? ie Windows 98, Me, NT, 2000, or XP? Or MacOs, or any of the variety of *nixes?

Call me on 4743040 if you want to talk through it.

Simon
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    FFS!!! I seem to even be having problems replying!! Arrrrrghhhhhh!! 3rd time lucky!!

JR - We use broad band & our ISP is Slingshot and yes I have tried to restart & shut down & restart as well.

FS - definitely a bimbo, I have owned a computer for at least 5yrs and know very little! As JR pointed out, it's my home computer thats the problem.

SpankMe - I have tried the F5 trick to no avail and I don't know what you mean when you say "try a different browser"

SVS - I can get into google ok, it just seems to be Govt Dept sites.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by svs
    err. that should be "ping www.stats.govt.nz" (miss off the http bit)
    I'm a moron. How did that get in there?
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    Silly person! She implied that she was at home by saying that she wasn't at work.
    Au contraire, Mr Randomness. I was not silly (or praps, not just silly) but LAZY, as I neglected to read her post to the endward bit where it said "at home". (I got to all the error message blathering bit and tuned out... my bad. )
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    CSL, log onto MSN if you like and I'll try talking you through a few things, quicker than posting here.
    - mikey

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    What OS are you using? ie Windows 98, Me, NT, 2000, or XP? Or MacOs, or any of the variety of *nixes?

Call me on 4743040 if you want to talk through it.

Simon
    Thanks Simon,
    I have to go to a lecture now.

We're on broad band & I have Windows 98 (maybe that's the problem).

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Au contraire, Mr Randomness. I was not silly (or praps, not just silly) but LAZY, as I neglected to read her post to the endward bit where it said "at home". (I got to all the error message blathering bit and tuned out... my bad. )
    Yes, I know what you mean. I meant 'silly' as used by Frenchmen atop castle walls, ie, a general sense of mild derision coupled with slight derangement on the part of the commentator.

- mikey

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    Thanks Simon,
    I have to go to a lecture now.

We're on broad band & I have Windows 98 (maybe that's the problem).
    Try power-cycling your DSL modem (assuming that's what you have).
    - mikey

Thread Information