Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pre '89 bike build.

Bike
    92 Suzuki GSXR 400
    He sold it.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDee
    I have a 1987 FZR1000 sitting in my shed, dreaming about getting pimped up. Where would be the obvious place for me to start? Exhaust? carbs?
    Mate Unless you're a really hot rider what I'd do is give her an oil/filter change,throw on some really good road tyres and go out and learn to ride the bike.
    I know that sounds arrogant but having been there done that I think you'll find that on the track you'll have plenty of stomp.
    Given my 20-20 vision in hindsite what I would do is invest time and effort into the suspension setup- Believe me the r1100 might dust ya down the straights -but youll out brake him and outcorner him if ya set the fizzer up propperly
    With my pre89er money (or lack thereof) decided me I would focus on making the bike handle as good as possible, Lightening everything down even stripping out the wiring loom and make maximum use of every one of the measley 55hp the stock zxr motor is putting out.
    Budget is totally blown to hell so its time to see if frosty can put his money where his mouth is and actually ride a race bike.
    My plan is for a top 3 finish in the club series in pre89 junior
    Given I missed 1 meeting totally and only pulled 45 points from the second round its a hell of a big ask--but heres hopeing.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    guys there must be hundreds of good ex race bikes lurking around. 89 cbr600's or fzr600's hey tzr250's are fine.
    look if i can get a third place in pre89 senior and win races in pre 89 junior you lot can come whip my ass on ya old bikes.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryg
    Good on you WT.

A guy I know races in the pre-82 class on his TZ350 and has fun but he's a bit of a mobile chicane compared to the guys with 140hp litre bikes on slicks. So if it's about winning races it seems you need deep pockets as well as being a damn good rider. I heard talk of ~$30k investments and I can believe it looking at bikes like Vince Sharpe's and Craig Smith's.

It would be excellent if the pre-89s didn't follow the same costly route.

I know it's all very contentious and there are good points on both side of the argument but IMHO I like the idea of having a blast around on a cheap-ish only lightly-modified bike like a slab-sider GSXR750 without a big investment involved. Makes it easier to enter the sport, and less of a calamity if you bin it or it craps itself.
    I agree with the post ..I disagree with spending 30 k ON a bike ,,,,I believe you can get there for a WHOLE lot less but you need to think about what you are doing ..,,I race mx here in Japan ,,,( I am the one at the back ..) ...I made one of those Life choices ...( gave up tryng to spell decitions..decisions what ever !
    So I am concentrating on the engineering, side of bikes moving into the suspension side
    Now to basically illustrate my point , one of those american mx /super cross riders used an 93 Cr for a number of seasons ..because it was exactly what he needed ..they just changed the plastic to look good ,,,,

Now I started with a 86 cr ..rode that till I was good at falling off , found the limitations ,,then slowly kept an eye out for the bits i needed ...example I am using showa forks of a 125 2000 ish nice shiny new ish ,,,( picked up on ebay very cheap,,,) ..but has the spring rate i needed ,,,and I will see soon if I need to revalve,,,
    As my skills improved so did the limits i found ,,As we speak I have just spent the week putting to gether a very NEW 91 cr ( well 90 something ,,,as the bits come from all over ,,,,,) ,,,I bought the base bike VERY cheap ,,as it looked shit ,,but under neath there was a lot of really good stuff ,,,,....So all in all I have now ended up with a very good mx bike ,,may not be the latestin fashion . .but it handles and steers pretty well and has plenty of power ,,,but not down low ..I am working on that ....( the 4 stroke have the traction out of the corners and I don catch em till nearly the end of the straight bit,,,hard work for me,,,)
    The point being the bike aint fasionable ,,but it does the biz and cost sod all all up INCLUDING running cost still is 1/3 of a 4 stroke af a few years vintage!!!...
    This summer I will dial it all in to give low end punch and suspension to die for ...ohlins ,,dont need ,,can make the stock one ..fit my riding style and still have lots of beer tokens left
    No a cbr 600 may have 80 bhp against an r6 ( or what ever they are called now ) ..but at the end of the day ,,its power to wieght ,,,and keeping the wheel alignment .....oh forgot about stopping ......
    These bike were designed for ease of maufacture ,,not dymaxion Engineering ( means most efficient shape /or least use of energy ) ...it just needs thought ,,,and a can do approach ...

Stephen
    Who is looking out for Yz body work for the cr to give the bike a modern look .....well ...underneath it all I am still a fashionistia ..( and a cheap bastard ) at heart .... rekon it might fit .....
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post

There is no such thing as cheap racing, unless you are happy at the back!
    Well, for around $2k, you can pick up a pretty decent 400cc CBR, ZXR, FZR, GSXR........seem to be very competitive in Pre 89 Junior, at least in this neck of the woods anyway.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Great read! I love this "New Bike Posts" thing- cuts out most of the crap.
    I'm reeeeaaalllly hoping that Pre-89 will get going down here. She may be heavy, but my FZR1000W EXUP is elligable and with 126HP at the wheel with 50,000k's on the clock it's a bloody good starting point
    My daughter telling me like it is:
    "There is an old man in your face daddy!"

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I'm reeeeaaalllly hoping that Pre-89 will get going down here. She may be heavy, but my FZR1000W EXUP is elligable and with 126HP at the wheel with 50,000k's on the clock it's a bloody good starting point
    But didn't you get passed by a pre 82 bike last time out?

I think it'll be a while before it happens down here
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I'm gunna come down there and give you a bloody learn soon you cocky lil buggar!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Thats cause I can't ride.

Knowing my luck it will happen about 3 weeks after I sell the FZR
    My daughter telling me like it is:
    "There is an old man in your face daddy!"

Thread Information