Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre '89 bike build.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike

Pre '89 bike build.

OK.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to diary in detail (including pics) what I'm doing to transform a $500 1986 GSXR750 into a hot rod track missile.

My reasons are to show just how easily and inexpensively a pre '89 bike can be built and encourage others to do the same.

There are a shitload of these machines all over NZ and it will definitely gain momentum very quickly.

Other good bikes would be FZR, ZXR750 or Fizzer thou. VF750s even RG or RZ500 if you want to be different.

If anyone is interested in building their own bike but not sure where to start, I'm happy to help out where I can with advise or helping source parts.

Frosty, you're dead
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Is there a pre-89 class?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Are you still gunna do F2/F1 on the final round of club vic in Sep?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    There sure is. Still in infancy at the moment but it's getting bigger.

My brother is building an FZR750. I think someone else from this forum is knocking together a ZXR750.

One of my workmate has a particularly hot GSXR11.

Get some numbers and this will be one of the most exciting racing classes to join.

I can't wait.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    Are you still gunna do F2/F1 on the final round of club vic in Sep?
    I'll do F1 on my shitty ol' 750. Give ya a fighting chance and all that.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    I'll do F1 on my shitty ol' 750. Give ya a fighting chance and all that.
    Lol, Alright then. I admit that I'll need all the advantage I can get since it is your home ground and it is still going to be my first time around the full circuit.

Now, if only I could not crash in practice/qualifying, I could really show my full potential during the race

Actually what I ment was, I hope I don't crash at all! Damn these bins, my poor baby is looking pretty second right now

Bike
    '02 ZX6R

Pre 89

OK.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to diary in detail (including pics) what I'm doing to transform a $500 1986 GSXR750 into a hot rod track missile.

My reasons are to show just how easily and inexpensively a pre '89 bike can be built and encourage others to do the same.

There are a shitload of these machines all over NZ and it will definitely gain momentum very quickly.

Other good bikes would be FZR, ZXR750 or Fizzer thou. VF750s even RG or RZ500 if you want to be different.

If anyone is interested in building their own bike but not sure where to start, I'm happy to help out where I can with advise or helping source parts.

Frosty, you're dead
    Good on you WT.

A guy I know races in the pre-82 class on his TZ350 and has fun but he's a bit of a mobile chicane compared to the guys with 140hp litre bikes on slicks. So if it's about winning races it seems you need deep pockets as well as being a damn good rider. I heard talk of ~$30k investments and I can believe it looking at bikes like Vince Sharpe's and Craig Smith's.

It would be excellent if the pre-89s didn't follow the same costly route.

I know it's all very contentious and there are good points on both side of the argument but IMHO I like the idea of having a blast around on a cheap-ish only lightly-modified bike like a slab-sider GSXR750 without a big investment involved. Makes it easier to enter the sport, and less of a calamity if you bin it or it craps itself.
    Kerry

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    OK.

Frosty, you're dead
    I have been toying with the idea of doing the same with my old dinosaur ... might even be worth getting a part time job for ... if there is one thing a solo dad has it's time ..... and while I'm not exactly a mechanical genius I could learn my way quickly enough I think ..... My big problem is going to be able to afford some decent leathers & such ... might have to start looking around .......
    A man can move much faster without a millstone around his neck, so if he gets the chance to lose her he'd better drop her and run like heck !! .. (10cc "Modern Man Blues" - Deceptive Bends)

Bike
    So old you won't care
    My limited experience with building classic race bikes is that no matter what the era or class, in the end, someone will build an over the top in your face bike that will lift the bar and everyone else will need to spend BIG bucks to be competitive.

Even bucket racing went that way too. Building water cooled heads and barrells? Jeeze .....

However... The #1 rule is, pick a naturally competitive bike as a base.

Neils dread t140 in the pre '76 class. I don't care how much money we spend, it will never beat a Rob North framed Trident or Rocket 3. Thank god they don't let japanese bikes race or it would be worse. My mate that builds a Guzzi racer in a similar class in Aussie has to compete against 1100cc Honda SOHC 4's. All period moddifications of course but...

There is no such thing as cheap racing, unless you are happy at the back!

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid....

Bike
    Not many, if any
    Nice one WT!!! I was thinking along the same lines... i only with i had the 1989 ZXR400... makes more power then my vfr400 and is alowed in Pre-89? Here at pukekohe my mate got 2nd place in pre89 on a GSXR1100, and what was his time? 1:13! my vfr is currently running 1:11 and reckon on a zxr with the minor extra top end that could be brough down... just think of it.. its a class atm so new its easy enough to win and make yah feel good!

Bike
    '02 ZX6R

Pre 89

[

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid.... [/QUOTE]

Yeah Paul I think I can't argue with your logic. I suppose it's just in the nature of competition in any sport. Judging from the NZPCRA's endorsement of slicks for pre 82s at their recent meeting the majority favour rules that clear the way for higher performance.

Maybe there should be new classes of racing like they used to have with minis , the cars that is (showing my age now). Practically no modifications allowed. But I guess that would not be an interesting class for a lot of riders and spectators and the turn outs for the existing pre-89 class have been very small anyway so it's hardly a goer really
    Kerry

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryg
    [

Paul N

Then again, everyone looks good on the starting grid....
    Yeah Paul I think I can't argue with your logic. I suppose it's just in the nature of competition in any sport. Judging from the NZPCRA's endorsement of slicks for pre 82s at their recent meeting the majority favour rules that clear the way for higher performance.

Maybe there should be new classes of racing like they used to have with minis , the cars that is (showing my age now). Practically no modifications allowed. But I guess that would not be an interesting class for a lot of riders and spectators and the turn outs for the existing pre-89 class have been very small anyway so it's hardly a goer really
    I don't think it's as much performance as it is safety.

A couple of those bikes have 150 hp at the tread plus. They need good fucken tyres.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Um er --bugger WT you just raised the bar on me.
    So zxr750 with Olins rear shock and resprung front end and a hot can aint gunna cut the mustard-shit.
    Ok guys --Needed -Hot cams for a zxr750
    Ohh bugger WT hang on--I already have 17" rims to fit my slicks -no0w I just need the other half of my bike to turn up.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    There are some guys in the USA race 60's / 70's Honda 160 twins... Until they ran out of em....

then when CAMS started, they made virtually every Honda CB350 twin in ChCh disappear??

I'd buy your pre 89 bike NOW before they all go too....

Or do what the 160 / 350's did and get expensive...

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike

And here it begins.

In typical White trash fashion, I wanted to walk before I could run.

Bought the bike off OldR, (Thanks Mike) for a mere $500. Alot of you guys will remember him as the tall bogan looking dude that accompanied me to my first track day at Puke, then rode down 22 with Zed, Cold Kiwi, and Vladi then got lost.

Anyway, this bike ran like a hunk of shit that it is. I priced up having a 771 Wiseco kit installed, Stage II Yoshi cams and springs with big valves and flowed head for sprint/race applications.

CSL cams in P/North worked out the demon deal for me and it's all good. Problem is, I got no money so I had Hayden at WMCC do a tune up and valve clearances on it for the time being.

Whip the tappet cover off and "Arggh fuck!" The hardening on the cams and rockers is worn through. Looks like I'll need those cheat bits soon.

Problem is, I've ordered a Vance and Hines super sport full system from Annie at AMPS. And an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor so I've got less than no money.

Apparently, the thing will run for another million kays without the hardening so it'll have to do.

After the tune up and service, it's a completely different animal! It's actually awesome to ride! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I enjoy owning this bike more than my 600. Strange huh?

Anyway, next I'll be ordering the race fairings from Just fairings, at $575 for the set. Then having the painted Kevin Schwantz Trans Atlantic replica paint. If anyone has any photos or magazines with his bike in them, could I please borrow them?

Expenditure thus far is quite high but for anyone wanting to start racing, by no means nessecary (sp). Johann started racing on a stock one of these and was lapping Manfield in 1:16. No shock, no pipe, stock.

Bike= $500
    Shock $1299
    Exhaust system $1000 est.

I'm going to forgo the 771 kit as if the class gets big, I wont be elligible for 750cc class.

Cams and head work will be to the tune of $2400.

[/I]Hopefully[I] I'll be at the first round of the AMCC, but I'll definitely race at the final Vic round at Manfeild.

Ciao for now. :spudwave:

Thread Information