Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 GN250 cam chain/oil issues

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250

1987 GN250 cam chain/oil issues

Hi. I've just got my hands on a 1987 GN250. I was wondering about a couple of things. How do I know if the cam chain needs adjusting?
    It also doesn't like to go above 40kph in 3rd gear, although it can do 50. Is this normal?
    And, how often should I have to top up oil? In the first week and a half of having it, it went down from being 3/4 full to a little above the min line and I put more in. Since Saturday, I've done quite a bit of riding on it, but it's already used almost a quarter of a tank. Again, is this normal? If not, what is the problem? There aren't any leaks on the garage/drive, and it doesn't produce any smoke.
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    Hi. I've just got my hands on a 1987 GN250. I was wondering about a couple of things. How do I know if the cam chain needs adjusting?
    You can hear the rattle over the noise of the exhaust/engine.

It also doesn't like to go above 40kph in 3rd gear, although it can do 50. Is this normal?
    Yes.

And, how often should I have to top up oil? In the first week and a half of having it, it went down from being 3/4 full to a little above the min line and I put more in. Since Saturday, I've done quite a bit of riding on it, but it's already used almost a quarter of a tank. Again, is this normal? If not, what is the problem? There aren't any leaks on the garage/drive, and it doesn't produce any smoke.
    The production of a (noticeable) blue smoke trail following you .. does not mean it is not "burning" oil ...

If you don't add oil if the level is low ... it will stop. Depending on the speed that you are traveling at ... how spectacular the result of said "stop" ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You can hear the rattle over the noise of the exhaust/engine.

Yes.

The production of a (noticeable) blue smoke trail following you .. does not mean it is not "burning" oil ...

If you don't add oil if the level is low ... it will stop. Depending on the speed that you are traveling at ... how spectacular the result of said "stop" ...
    My boss (an experienced motorcyclist) test rode it and said he couldn't hear anything. It's got a noticeable rattle, but a lot of people have said it's 'GN character' so I'm a little confused.
    I check oil level at least once a day and don't ride it if it's below min line. However, it does seem to be going through it kinda fast.
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    My boss (an experienced motorcyclist) test rode it and said he couldn't hear anything. It's got a noticeable rattle, but a lot of people have said it's 'GN character' so I'm a little confused.
    I check oil level at least once a day and don't ride it if it's below min line. However, it does seem to be going through it kinda fast.
    The "Rattle" will be worse if the oil level is low.

How many km's on the Odo .. ???

When the cost of replacement oil (keep a record of how much) ... exceeds cost of replacement fuel ... paint it Yellow.
    Lemons are (almost) always yellow.

Small bikes don't hold much oil to start with ...

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    How many km's on the Odo .. ???
    Rattle is there all the time, except when engine idles.
    I got it with around 23000 ks on the odometer.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Give it an oil change, use the manufactures recomended grade, motors some times use more oil if it is the wrong grade or old

Its a GN keep the oil near the full mark and it will go for ever

and most of all have fun!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Rattle is there all the time, except when engine idles.
    I got it with around 23000 ks on the odometer.
    I'm thinking an '87 GN250 will have done more than 23,000 km's ... most likely it's been "round the clock". (at least once) ... 123,000 km's would be more likely.

I hope you got it cheap. They were never renown for their performance from new. The cam chain will be the least of your worries ... (and a rattle is normal) Keep the oil up to it ... a cheaper option than an engine rebuild.

It's oil use will keep you broke anyway ...

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    I'm thinking an '87 GN250 will have done more than 23,000 km's ... most likely it's been "round the clock". (at least once) ... 123,000 km's would be more likely.

I hope you got it cheap. They were never renown for their performance from new. The cam chain will be the least of your worries ... (and a rattle is normal) Keep the oil up to it ... a cheaper option than an engine rebuild.

It's oil use will keep you broke anyway ...
    I looked at what it said on the registration cert and it said 23000 ks, and it had few ks racked up between odometer readings.
    It was that or a Chinese GN. It goes ok.
    I got it at an ok price. I have about a grand left if the worst happens and can put money on my student loan if I absolutely have to. Obviously, I'd rather not do that. How often should it need changing once all the old oil's been filtered out (Boss recommended I do an oil change two weeks after initial oil change to filter out old oil - will do one on Friday afternoon.)
    And, Wgtn motorcycles have Castrol 4 stroke oil. Any other oil you'd recommend?

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    [QUOTE=FJRider;1130436561]The cam chain will be the least of your worries ...
    [QUOTE]

What else will I have to look out for?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I looked at what it said on the registration cert and it said 23000 ks, and it had few ks racked up between odometer readings.
    It was that or a Chinese GN. It goes ok.
    I got it at an ok price. I have about a grand left if the worst happens and can put money on my student loan if I absolutely have to. Obviously, I'd rather not do that. How often should it need changing once all the old oil's been filtered out (Boss recommended I do an oil change two weeks after initial oil change to filter out old oil - will do one on Friday afternoon.)
    And, Wgtn motorcycles have Castrol 4 stroke oil. Any other oil you'd recommend?
    Sorry ... I think it's done a few more than that. Rego certs are not the best thing to determine accuracy of the mileage records. How far back do the record of ownership changes do you have ???

It'll probably (will) need a new filter too. For a quick flush of old oil ... use the cheapest you can find, not CAR oil. Only needs to be a few km's before you dump it. Then go as WMC said.

An OK price means you ride ... not take the bus. Don't spend money on it. Keep the oil up to it. Keep it legal. Get third party insurance ... and start saving for your next bike. LAM's is good ... check out the list. You are no longer restricted to a 250. So learn ALL you can with this bike ... then move up.

Go Girl ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    What else will I have to look out for?
    Hot guys ....( Enjoy the rides ) ...

And carry a notebook and pen ... to write down their phone numbers ...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    A GN250 holds about one liter of oil. Its a tiny amount as it lubricates engine and gearbox.

Yes - it uses heaps, they all do but yours does seem a little excessive maybe. At the moment, dont stress about it, check the oil every time, top it up and change it regularly and enjoy.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I would change the oil for some fresh stuff and ride the bike. Some times motors that sit around seem to gum up and burn oil. This usually comes right with use. I would just ride the bike and see if the oil usage improves. Castrol do make a good product.

A worn can chain sounds like a bad rattle at idle.

Ride and have fun.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I would change the oil for some fresh stuff and ride the bike. Some times motors that sit around seem to gum up and burn oil. This usually comes right with use. I would just ride the bike and see if the oil usage improves. Castrol do make a good product.

A worn can chain sounds like a bad rattle at idle.

Ride and have fun.
    And if the GN has only done 23,000 km's ... this may well be the case with your bike.

Drop by Wellington Motorcycles when you get the oil ... and get them to have a listen to the Cam chain.

And if the wind isn't too bad over the weekend .. blast over the 'Taka's for a coffee in Featherston. A good run will do it AND you the world of good.

Enjoy ...

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    A GN250 holds about one liter of oil. Its a tiny amount as it lubricates engine and gearbox.

Yes - it uses heaps, they all do but yours does seem a little excessive maybe. At the moment, dont stress about it, check the oil every time, top it up and change it regularly and enjoy.
    Hi. How regularly should I do a complete oil/filter change? Would every 3 months be about right?

Thread Information