Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky keyhole

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800

Sticky keyhole

Hi all

Over the last few weeks my key has been progressively harder to put into the keyhole on my 4 month old GN250. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's like it's catching on something sharp, and I have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to go in. Once it's in, it generally turns OK and works fine - only once I've had difficulty getting it to the far left, lock position (even with the bars fully to the left). Possibly this is a part of the legendary Chingzooki quality programme, but I wondered if I could just zap it with some CRC and see if that makes it better. I'm not sure if that's a farkin stoopid idea though (maybe CRC will corrode the elektrikamal thingamies or something) so thought I'd check with the experts. Is there something better I should use? Or does it need a trip to Haldanes for a new one under warranty, maybe when it gets really bad?

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

Bike
    It's a GN250, just leave the key in it, shouldn't be a problem.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

1. Squirt some CRC into the actual keyhole, and then wipe the area with a cloth.
    2. Put the key in and turn it on, turn it off, then remove key from keyhole.

Do Number 2 a few times and then it will work fine.

It may need a extra wee squirt of CRC, repeat number 2 again.

PS: Wipe the key after you have done it... or you could get a bit of oil over your clothes when you put keys into your pocket.
    Last edited by crashe; 16th January 2007 at 19:57. Reason: added in extra stuff......

Bike
    Shit a thread about where the key for your bike goes.. not a double meaning thread!! Lube it up good - vege oil does good if you don't have the proper stuff... and then just slip it in...
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    NO! Only use water based lubricants

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    It's a GN250, just leave the key in it, shouldn't be a problem.
    Hah! Everyone's a critic....

If I could afford it (and the divorce lawyer that'd have to go with it), I'd buy one of them S50s Gonna have to keep buying lotto tickets tho.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    The little plunger things are sticking. Happens, our locks are often exposed to the elements. What woz said about crc , then a drop of 3 in 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Yeh it's an alright bike to start on I suppose, I was kicking around on one for a week. It's like anything, everyone takes the piss outta the fugly chicks, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Its under Warranty ... take it to the shop. They have to make it better.

On the subject of CRC - don't use it in any locks. My mate works for Chubbs and is the dude that services the Reserve Bank Vault so he knows his stuff. They ban CRC but use WD40. He did give me a technical explanation of why (which I hpromptly forgot).

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    Its under Warranty ... take it to the shop. They have to make it better.

On the subject of CRC - don't use it in any locks. My mate works for Chubbs and is the dude that services the Reserve Bank Vault so he knows his stuff. They ban CRC but use WD40. He did give me a technical explanation of why (which I hpromptly forgot).
    Well its worked fine on all my locks (car locks, front door and back door locks and m/bike locks oh and also padlocks)

Been using it on padlocks, car and house locks for years and years..... never had no problem.

So would be really interested in hearing your mates explaination as to why not.

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    All I can remember right now Crashe is that some of the component makeup of CRC is cheap and I think attracts and retains abrasives which eventually gum up and destroy the lock. I didn't believe him when he first told me so he patiently sat me down to explain the facts of locks.

I guess they must know this stuff so I didn't retain the detail, just the "thou shalt not" bit. On the other hand they rave about WD40.

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Graphite powder can work wonders and won't gum up.

Sounds like it has taken a bang like what caused my lock to do the same thing. You might find pulling the key to one side a little helps it but really you need the lock reworked.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Bike
    Bikes!
    I'm with graphite powder myself, comes in a wee blower, doesn't attract and retain crap. My SV1000 lock was stiff when I first picked it up, after a few months in wore in nicely though.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    The technical explanation is complicated, but it's something like this:

CRC is crap.

It has virtually no lubricating properties, and isn't even useful for the other things WD40 is good for, like removing tar and grease from rims/paintwork, cleaning your chain when you're touring, removing stickers, waterproofing electrics, etc. I had to resort to buying/using some when I went around Norflund at Easter and the chain was all cruddy from road spooge and dust from the unsealed roads, and the local servo didn't have WD40. I was absolutely dismayed at how crappy the CRC was, and instantly regretted buying it.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Thread Information