Thread: Puncture repair kit recommendation wanted

Bike
    Street Triple R

Puncture repair kit recommendation wanted

Hi all

Did a week "touring" in the north island last week, and when I got back there is a 5mm deep gouge in my rear tyre. :0 its off to the side, not the centre of the carcass, and not straight but angled, so Ive obviously run over something which has then flicked out. No leaks thankfully, but..... if it had happened in the back of beyond and it had flatted, I would have been screwed...

so, can anyone recommend a compact, efficient puncture repair kit?

Cycle World recommend this one. but of course it can't be airmailed.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Most bike shops have kits like that so just go and buy one. I have one I got from Motomail I think, can't remember the brand but they are basically all near enough the same.

The plugs are usually the thread type which get you home, but then take your tyre into the bike shop to get a proper internal repair done afterwards.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    DR650SE, BMW R80GS, R1150R
    Hmm - I'm a bit late to this thread - sorry - after three punctures in as many weeks I became a reluctant expert rather quickly - the gas cannister designs are a waste of money - by the time you have pumped up the tube to find the leak they're stuffed and you can still have a flat tyre albeit a repaired one!

I ended up buying two small tyre leavers, a puncture kit (glue, patches ...) and a mountain bike pump that will do 160+PSI - works real well and the only downside is a tired arm! Pack a spare tube too - by the time you have pulled the bike to a stop you'll have shredded it.

Unfortunately I have not had another puncture!
    paulj - Illegitimis nil carborundum

Bike
    suzuki Bandit and suzuki sj50
    havent had to use it yet... !, but assuming it will get me home if needed-tyre panda x repco or super cheap.
    we are all nuts we just dont know it !!

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Hi all

Did a week "touring" in the north island last week, and when I got back there is a 5mm deep gouge in my rear tyre. :0 its off to the side, not the centre of the carcass, and not straight but angled, so Ive obviously run over something which has then flicked out. No leaks thankfully, but..... if it had happened in the back of beyond and it had flatted, I would have been screwed...

so, can anyone recommend a compact, efficient puncture repair kit?

Cycle World recommend this one. but of course it can't be airmailed.

Gidday.. sorry probably a bit late with this but Ive just been through this excercise and ended up with the following kit from outr local bike shop, available in most main centre bike shops.. check out http://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...11&prodid=1022

very compact and covers all angles

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    ditto paulj's comments ... bicycle punture repair kit-mountain bike hand pump-tube-tyre levers & a valve key ...
    ... you know it's a bit windy when you get passed by your own dust ...

Bike
    2005 Honda Hornet 900
    Ditto for the geniune inovations repair kit. Have one in my tank bag fortunitly Ive never had to use it. But a friend has and swears by them.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    There is one availabe at the bike shops that includes a hand pump as well as the gas bottles.

Because I've got heaps of space with panniers & top box, I now carry a foot pump with a basic kit under the seat.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    1990 Honda Goldwing

eek

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    the gas cannister designs are a waste of money - by the time you have pumped up the tube to find the leak they're stuffed and you can still have a flat tyre albeit a repaired one!
    The secret is to find the hole and plug it BEFORE using the canisters.

I used two canisters to inflate the rear tyre of the Goldwing on the road from Oamaru to Benmore after plugging it and they worked fine. The other thing to note is that you should let the CO2 out at the first service station that has an air compressor and refill the tyre. Apparently CO2 expands at a greater rate than air, so pressure variation is greater than normal between hot and cold.

This got ScorpyGirl and I back to Auckland without any problems on a fully laden bike.
    Keep the shiny side upright, Rhino.

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Idol Rider View Post
    Ditto for the geniune inovations repair kit. Have one in my tank bag fortunitly Ive never had to use it. But a friend has and swears by them.
    Me too except mine is under my seat. The man in the shop used one the weekend before I bought mine and was suitably impressed.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    DR650SE, BMW R80GS, R1150R
    Well - for what it is worth - two of my four punctures I have put down to faulty tube installation - a national tyre repair chain, starting with the letter B offered to put some latex goo in my tubes when repairing a flat. They reckoned it would slow down the effects of a nail etc and allow me to get somewhere useful to repair the flat It was about $8 a shot and I thought 'what the heck ... let's do it".

However both tubes (front and rear) failed in exactly the same way about 1-2K after their repair. Both failed by becoming gummed up about the valve stem and creasing such that they began to wear, finally wearing through in a crease. I did manage to get to a friendly place - Haast Backpackers - and I repaired the tube with patch.

On getting back home, I purchased two new tubes and replaced them myself - I have cut open two tubes here in the pics - one has had the pretty pink latex goo now looking like a charred eel and the entire tube wet with what I presume is water, the other tube is a normal one without goo - it is easy to see what has happened. God knows what it did to my tyre balance - I didn't notice anything significant (perhaps I don't ride fast enough!).

Moral of the story - don't put the goo in.

PS - I also discovered that new tubes on delivery may have a rather loose valve stem lock nut - a friends front tyre kept going down in a rather erratic way - sometimes quickly - 20 mins - sometimes several hours - the stem lock nut gave up a turn and a half and all was well. After that experience I checked my new tubes and they too gave up a half turn. I have never seen repairer's check this when installing new tubes. Pity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image007.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	59592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image008.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	59593  
    paulj - Illegitimis nil carborundum

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    The secret is to find the hole and plug it BEFORE using the canisters.

I used two canisters to inflate the rear tyre of the Goldwing on the road from Oamaru to Benmore after plugging it and they worked fine. The other thing to note is that you should let the CO2 out at the first service station that has an air compressor and refill the tyre. Apparently CO2 expands at a greater rate than air, so pressure variation is greater than normal between hot and cold.

This got ScorpyGirl and I back to Auckland without any problems on a fully laden bike.
    Yep thats the right advice, got a puncture at Omarama on the way to the Burt rally. Plugged it and it stayed in until the tyre wore out. Tyre was new when I left jaffaland . No one wants to plug tyres anymore. Get the kit with the big bottles, and don't go silly tryin the break speed records on the straights, 140-150km and had no problems.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I see Repco have all sorts of repair kits now - plugs for tubeless, plus Slime for both tubed and tubeless tyres. Don't know if that stuff works very well but the plugs do to get you home, then you got to get a proper patch job done.

Woohoo that's me at 4,000 posts so I can go to bed now!!
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    trick with the Co2 kits is to make sure you gget the right size, else you will be carrying a heap of cartridges..
    see http://www.genuineinnovations.com/yieldchart.aspx
    Best for road bikes is minimum 3x25 gram but make sure u have the right inflator to suit, the Deluxe ATV Tire Repair & Co2 kit it has a dual gas applicator & hand pump, (mind u I have tubeless tyres so less hassle all round)

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    For the few times I have been touring I have taken tyre leavers, repair kit and a small 12v pump, haven't had to use it, murphy's law that one, if you have all the gear you won't need it...
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Thread Information