Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZXR250 choke issue

Bike
    Kawa ZXR250 Yamaha R1

ZXR250 choke issue

When i go to use the choke on my zxr to start her up, i have to hold the chock lever the whole time because it seems to be very 'springy'

i.e. when i get it to the point i need and release it, it simply 'springs back' into the off position. Choke itself work fine

How do i fix this? Do i need a new choke cable? does the cable need greasing (unlikely) or is there a nut/bolt that needs tightening?

its not a major issue, i can live with it as is, but i like to keep my routine and put helmet/gloves etc on while the bike warms up

any help appreciated

Bike
    RF900
    My ZXR does it aswel, maybe it's the bike, if not ill be happy to know how to fix it aswel

Bike
    Thats normal for the ZXR. Just hold it in place at about 4000rpm for about 2-3 minutes and your bike sould be warm enough to not cut out...
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    NO THATS NOT NORMAL...
    IT SHOULD HOLD IN PLACE AS YOU USE IT. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO FIX IT PULL OFF YOUR CARBS AND HAVE A LOOK AT THE LINE TO IT AND CHECK ADJUSTMENT. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE IT ADJUSTS TO BE HONEST BUT IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE. MAKE IT TIGHTER AND THE CABLE WILL GET MORE FRICTION AND 'STICK' OPEN... THATS WHTA HAPPENS WITH THROTTLE CABLES ANYWAY.

BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS JUST HOLD IT ALSO CHECK YOUR IDLER SETTINGS TO AS IF IT'S IDLING HIGHER YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF CHOKE SOONER.
    GET THE ZXR250 SERVICE MANUAL. WWW.ZXR250.COM I THINK IT'S IN THERE OTHERWISE I CAN EMAIL IT TO YOU OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. PM ME.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR View Post
    NO THATS NOT NORMAL...
    IT SHOULD HOLD IN PLACE AS YOU USE IT. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO FIX IT PULL OFF YOUR CARBS AND HAVE A LOOK AT THE LINE TO IT AND CHECK ADJUSTMENT. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE IT ADJUSTS TO BE HONEST BUT IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE. MAKE IT TIGHTER AND THE CABLE WILL GET MORE FRICTION AND 'STICK' OPEN... THATS WHTA HAPPENS WITH THROTTLE CABLES ANYWAY.

BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS JUST HOLD IT ALSO CHECK YOUR IDLER SETTINGS TO AS IF IT'S IDLING HIGHER YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF CHOKE SOONER.
    GET THE ZXR250 SERVICE MANUAL. WWW.ZXR250.COM I THINK IT'S IN THERE OTHERWISE I CAN EMAIL IT TO YOU OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. PM ME.
    If you say so...

I've asked 3 different mechanics at 3 different bike shops about this and they all said it was normal, also the other ZXR's that I've test riden have all done the same... its not even a problem unless your too lazy to hold it in place for a minute or two... not the end of the world...

"Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

Bike
    all sorts
    mine is a bit springy but not bad enough that i have to hold it in place.
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme View Post
    If you say so...

I've asked 3 different mechanics at 3 different bike shops about this and they all said it was normal, also the other ZXR's that I've test riden have all done the same... its not even a problem unless your too lazy to hold it in place for a minute or two... not the end of the world...
    WEIRD. OF THE 5 GOING ON 6 NOW THAT I'VE RIDDEN IT HAS BEEN 'STUCK' AS WITH ANY OTHER BIKE.... MAYBE THEY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO FIX IT OR IT'S A 'NORMAL PROBLEM'. AH WELL LIVE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE GOT EH. THE PILLION THREAD WAS A NICE READ, SIMILAR TO MY EXPERIENCES. BIG BIKES ARE MUCH MORE PLANTED WITH PILLIONS AND THE SUSPENSION CAN HANDLE IT BETTER ALSO.. TRY ADJUSTING THAT IT WILL HELP A LITTLE ON THE ZXR.

EDIT:2000TH POST!!!!111!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR View Post
    WEIRD. OF THE 5 GOING ON 6 NOW THAT I'VE RIDDEN IT HAS BEEN 'STUCK' AS WITH ANY OTHER BIKE.... MAYBE THEY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO FIX IT OR IT'S A 'NORMAL PROBLEM'. AH WELL LIVE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE GOT EH. THE PILLION THREAD WAS A NICE READ, SIMILAR TO MY EXPERIENCES. BIG BIKES ARE MUCH MORE PLANTED WITH PILLIONS AND THE SUSPENSION CAN HANDLE IT BETTER ALSO.. TRY ADJUSTING THAT IT WILL HELP A LITTLE ON THE ZXR.
    lol I Wouldn't be surprised when it comes to those lazy bastards. Its not a problem for me (thats what I'm used to anyway)... but I guess if its not meant to be like that then i'll keep an eye on this thread

Bike
    2007 919 Hornet
    yeah mine does it..... just learned to live with it.... even on cold as mornings i only need to hold it for 20 seconds or so to keep it from cutting out... still runs rough as tho.
    Just live with it...... builds character.
    End of passion play, crumbling away
    I'm your score of self-destruction
    Veins that pump with fear, sucking darkest clear
    Leading on your deaths construction
    Taste me you will see
    More is all you need
    You're dedicated to
    How I'm killing you

Bike
    Speaking of the choke (sorry to hijack the thread). How long do you guys warm your ZXR's up for before taking off?

I generally wait until the temp gauge needle rises to just on the blue/green. I've found that waiting until then stops the bike cutting out at the first set of lights or anywhere where you have to stop then take off again...

Bike
    -
    My bike (which is not a ZXR250) does that too, to a lesser degree though. I rode a KR150 which did the same thing as well. Also a Mark 1 Cortina. Is it really such a big deal? If you look at the system involved, there's nothing really to stop the choke being pulled back, apart from inherent friction in all the separate components (at least on my bike). Maybe you need to stop cleaning your bike until it builds up enough crap in the choke lever to stop it moving? Lol.

Bike
    Speaking of the choke (sorry to hijack the thread). How long do you guys warm your ZXR's up for before taking off?

I generally wait until the temp gauge needle rises to just on the blue/green. I've found that waiting until then stops the bike cutting out at the first set of lights or anywhere where you have to stop then take off again...
    I USUALLY WARMED IT UP FOR ABOUT 3-4 MINUTES TILL IT DIDN'T NEED CHOKE AND WAS RUNNING SMOOTHLY. THE TEMP GUAGE WOULD RISE A TAD I THINK. I'D THEN GINGERLY RIDE IT OUT UNDER 6K TILL IT REACHED NORMAL TEMPS, USUALLY WITHIN 4-6 MINUTES OR SO AFTER THAT. THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE

Bike
    all sorts

5-10 seconds maybe
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    Kawa ZXR250 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for info guys.

N4CR, ive already got the manual, so will definatly look into the choke cable path and how it connects to the carb via the 'adjuster'

My mates other ZXR does hold it position, but i dont really see it as a problem. Its just from coming from my other bike im just use to putting my gear on while the bike warms up. I delay leaving by putting gear on.

Re: how long i warm my bike up for,
    i generally warm it for 1-2minutes, till the temp gauge starts to move up. Then just nana it till it gets in to proper operating temps. (similar to N4CR).

In honesty thou, i choke warm it for like 1-1:30 then let the choke sit where it wants and let the bike idle (slightly above) while i put gear on.

I dont sit there for ages,because after learning the cooling system after doing a coolent change, a zxr has a little valve that stops the coolent flow, so that the amount that is actually in the engine warms up faster. So my theory is: as soon as that amount is warm, it good to go because the remaining 1+litre hasnt even been touched and the engine is (relatively) warmer.

Bike
    Kawa ZXR250 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    Maybe you need to stop cleaning your bike until it builds up enough crap in the choke lever to stop it moving? Lol.
    haha maybe,

but if you dont clean it enough for the choke cable to stick, there will be enough crap on it to blow out my nice new fork seals. And we dont want that now do we class....no miss!

Thread Information