Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZXR250 choke issue

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)

Re: ZXR 250 Choke

Howzzit,
    If you look at the front of the carb's there is a moveable linkage plate which opens the choke plungers when the lever is pulled...

Holding the linkage plate to the carbs are two 5mm Phillips head screws, either side of these screws are nylon washers/wear plates which hold the linkage plate captive, these are designed to be an interference fit so as to hold the choke plungers open when required (rather than you !!!)

However, over time theses do wear out and allow the linkage plate, along with the return springs pressure pulling on it, to just return to it's seated or closed postion

Replacement of the nylon washers/wear plates is not difficult but does require the removal of the carbs

Part # is 92022-1199, there $4.00 each retail & you need four of them

If you manage to butcher the screws, part # for those is 92009-1262 & they are $6.00 each retail & strangely enough you need two of them

That should solve the problem...

Cheers

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeliemonsta View Post
    Howzzit,
    If you look at the front of the carb's there is a moveable linkage plate which opens the choke plungers when the lever is pulled...

Holding the linkage plate to the carbs are two 5mm Phillips head screws, either side of these screws are nylon washers/wear plates which hold the linkage plate captive, these are designed to be an interference fit so as to hold the choke plungers open when required (rather than you !!!)

However, over time theses do wear out and allow the linkage plate, along with the return springs pressure pulling on it, to just return to it's seated or closed postion

Replacement of the nylon washers/wear plates is not difficult but does require the removal of the carbs

If you manage to butcher the screws, part # for those is 92009-1262 & they are $6.00 each retail & strangely enough you need two of them

Cheers

Kewl!! Thanks for the information
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    Kawa ZXR250 Yamaha R1
    Thanks WheelieMonsta, thats a good load of detailed info there.

Well now i know what to do and what to look for.

I had created a temporary solution too.
    I readjusted the left handlebar 'controls unit' (thing with the choke and indicator swicth etc on).
    I undid the two screws, removed it had a look at it, then reinstalled it but pushed it against the clutch lever support as this touched the choke lever.

But as i now have the perfect answer, i think ill have to do that

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Hey tickler, you are the guy who bought my zxr are you not?? Anywho...of the four zxr's I have had, all but one have not had sticky chokes. The actual choke 'valves' (cant remember what they are actually called) are spring loaded themselves and hence want to bring the choke rail back into a closed position. You could theoretically adjust the line to give more tension, but personally, I have used to just start it, turn the idle up, leave it for a few mins to warm up and then turn the idle back down and away we went.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZXR250C 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeliemonsta View Post
    Howzzit,

Cheers
    I know old post but.. The choke is supposed to slide back to position so you don't accidently leave it on. If it doesn't then theres a problem with your choke linkage system, either with sticking choke plungers or cable or a missing or incorrect plate spring.
    I would've though that the nylon washers were there for the linkage plate to slide easily on rather than be for interference.
    There are 4 choke plungers each with springs in them to help push the choke back and theres a spring from the choke linkage plate to the throttle bracket. All of these springs help pull the choke back to its default position.

cheers

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750
    I know this is an old thread but I'm restoring a Zxr at the moment. The issue here is that the friction rubber inside the switch has most likely disintegrated. This is pretty common.

Open up the switch block and you will see a little metal bracket with a single screw on the inside. There is meant to be a spring loaded cruved bit of rubber/plastic mounted there. The small metal plate is to hold it in place.

This little bit of rubber/plastic puts friction pressure on the choke lever and stops it moving from the return spring tension. The return spring (mounted behind the carb block) is there's to prevent the choke engaging through engine vibration and to ensure a vacuum seal.

Thread Information