Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZXR250 (A & C Models) Spanner Night

Bike

Question ZXR250 (A & C Models) Spanner Night

Hey...

I've noticed that since I wrote my ZXR off in 2005, that there are so many small things that a rider should know about thier bike. I've noticed that there are a few ZXR riders on KB and was pondering the idea of a Spanner Night type set up just for ZXR's.

This is just an idea, and depending on interest there would be a lot to sort out...

However, if theres any stuff you would like to learn about your ZXR then post that here and we'll see if we can organise a get-together with some experienced (mechanically-wise) KBer's (who don't need to ride a ZXR... but knows the in's and out's of them).

Some common things are:

Fairing Removal (you never know)
    Oil Change
    Spark Plug changing
    Bleeding Brakes
    Battery Removal (I've been PM'd before asking how to remove the battery)
    Checking brake fluid levels
    Checking coolant levels
    Adjusting levers (brake & Clutch... simple I know)
    Adjusting suspension
    Chain adjustment
    Camchain tensioners (for those that stick)
    Which tools are needed
    De-restriction
    Lubing Cables (Clutch)

Any other common things that ZXR owners should know?

Any ideas in regards to this?

Who's interested?

Who's willing to help?
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    2007 919 Hornet

hey PF

sounds like a pretty sweet idea.
    i cant attend as i'm in wellington, but i have done lots of work to mine and know it pretty well inside out. so if anybody has any questions regarding them just send me a pm and i'd be more than happy to help out
    Nick
    End of passion play, crumbling away
    I'm your score of self-destruction
    Veins that pump with fear, sucking darkest clear
    Leading on your deaths construction
    Taste me you will see
    More is all you need
    You're dedicated to
    How I'm killing you

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
    sounds like a pretty sweet idea.
    i cant attend as i'm in wellington, but i have done lots of work to mine and know it pretty well inside out. so if anybody has any questions regarding them just send me a pm and i'd be more than happy to help out
    Nick
    Thank you

Some other suggestions are...

Which tools you need. As some parts require specific tools that don't come in your standard warehouse toolkit, and if anyone is like me... this part would come in handy when buying tools to work on your own bike.

I'm not sure how in depth people would want to go, but maybe we could also cover some basic servicing information.

If the night goes ahead, I'm also happy to make a picture document on "How to...." and post them up on KB for those out of town and others who are unable to make the evening...

"Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

Bike
    K7 SV650
    Hav'nt dealt with a ZXR yet but am happy to offer any mechanical knowledge if you are short on volunteers.

You could probably include other 250's as things like brake bleading etc is universal (more or less) .

Jeaves
    Last edited by Jeaves; 22nd January 2007 at 14:24. Reason: adding more
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    all's fair in love, war and tax avoidance.

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    i'd love to come along, love those bikes and have done alot of tu-tu
    'ing on them before. don't currently own one though. might even have a crack at de-restricting one

Bike
    2007 919 Hornet

if you want to focus on zxrs, maybe you can focus on some common faults that are a bit more specific for the bike.
    two things that i can think of off the top of my head are sticking camchain tensioners, and a tendency for the rear shock to crap out(a1 and a2 models... might have been fixed on c). these are problems which are common to the zxr, and you could tell people what to look out for.
    just an idea.
    Taste me you will see
    More is all you need
    You're dedicated to
    How I'm killing you

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeaves View Post
    Hav'nt dealt with a ZXR yet but am happy to offer any mechanical knowledge if you are short on volunteers.

You could probably include other 250's as things like brake bleading etc is universal (more or less) .

Jeaves
    Thats true... some things are universal, and it would open the night up to a much larger group of riders... however this brings in the added experience/knowledge needed to work on the other models.

I know pretty much... squat really. I had Jono helping me with my bike when I wrote it off and have always had more experienced members help me when doing any actual work on the bike.

N4CR - It would be great to have you along, judging by your posts on any random ZXR thread, and the fact that you've owned and worked on them in the past is a big plus... and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding someone who will let you de-restrict their bike lol

I'd offer mine but I'm assuming its already done (I've got a rev limiter on mine and recently did something not so legal and well in my haste to get away looked down at my speedo and it was bouncing back and forth at 180/190kph and still had more acceleration left in it...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
    if you want to focus on zxrs, maybe you can focus on some common faults that are a bit more specific for the bike.
    two things that i can think of off the top of my head are sticking camchain tensioners, and a tendency for the rear shock to crap out(a1 and a2 models... might have been fixed on c). these are problems which are common to the zxr, and you could tell people what to look out for.
    just an idea.

Kewl thanks... I'll add those to the list.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    How far you wanna go tammy??

cleaning filters,
    checking chains
    Yip the cam chains sometimes "jump" (very bad... very very bad) so checking the tensioner and stuff
    replacing fork seals
    repairing bodywork (hehehe)
    checking head and wheel and swingarm bearings
    do periodic gasket checks (especially if you're screaming it's nuts off like they are meant to do)

Rebuilding carbs.
    suspension setups (gotta be general cause everyones different)

The list goes on...
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    05 Yamaha YZF R1T
    i can offer some expertise if needed also, im keen to help,
    Ill paint your bike, $600 all up any colour you want

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme View Post
    I'd offer mine but I'm assuming its already done (I've got a rev limiter on mine and recently did something not so legal and well in my haste to get away looked down at my speedo and it was bouncing back and forth at 180/190kph and still had more acceleration left in it...
    i had a look at yours at city cycles, seemeed to have delimiter for revs (wtf) and speedo de-restictor. these bikes top making power around 17-18k so i don't see point in de revlimiting but speedo does help if it can get there (yours seems to..).

Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    i can offer some expertise if needed also, im keen to help,
    this guy is the man for 250's.. probably one the best on here for zxrs apart from ricky rocka at one stage hahaha. come down dude

Basic maintenance.. chain, wiping forks, plugs, oil/filter is easy stuff. Tensioner is a bitch and i'm not toooo clued up on how to work on it.
    Maybe i'll run through how to waterproof the electrics.. get water in em and ya can't go over 16k usually. and it's not water in carbs either :\. I think it has something to do with speedo getting soaked cus it's same as when speedo gets unplugged. Maybe not.. who knows. Heard of it happening on a few bikes now.

But yeah anyway i'm keen as a bean!!!

Bike
    RF900
    Sounds like a bloody brilliant idea. Id be keen as a bean to learn how to do things on my bike from people who know how Brakes, fairings, bearings, gaskets, carbs etc. I need to learn how to do all those things properly.

Bike
    none...
    yep im keen to learn.

apparently another comon problem with zxrs is the regulator giving out...well thats what the mechanic said when i put mine on the shop for that reason.

Im keen on a few general things, sprocket and chain maintanence, clutch adjustment, changing brake pads etc. Also keen on some messier stuff, fork seals, speed de-restricting, cam chain tensioner checking etc.

cheers guys this is awesome
    Quote Buddy L:"The bike's like BOOM, the motor's like BOOM!
    the exhaust is like....b-BANG!!
    the whole bike's like WAAAAEEEEEEHH!!!"

Bike
    2007 919 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    another comon problem with zxrs is the regulator giving out...
    Taste me you will see
    More is all you need
    You're dedicated to
    How I'm killing you

Bike
    Sweet, thats a few more things to add to the list...

Judging by the amount of things we'd like to learn/teach, this may be longer than just one spanner night... perhaps once we've finished the list and seen how many riders are interested we could break it down into sections and either do it over a Saturday/Sunday or spead out over a few sessions (Assuming an evening session wouldn't be longer than 3 hours).

So far this is the list:

1. Covering Basic tools required & were they can be brought
    2. Fairing Removal
    3. Oil & Oil Filter Change
    4. Checking/Cleaning/Changing the spark plugs
    5. Checking Brake Fluid levels
    6. Bleeding the brakes
    7. Battery Removal (Some people don't know how to do this)
    8. Checking Coolant levels
    9. Adjusting levers (Brake & Clutch... simple as... but you never know)
    10. Adjusting Suspension
    11. Chain Adjustment
    12. Chain and Sprocket maintainence
    13. Changing the Chain & Sprokets (depending on how keen you are)
    14. Camchain tensioners (for those that stick)
    15. Plastic Welding (save some money & fix your fairings yourself)
    16. De-Restriction
    17. Lubing Cables (clutch Cable)
    18. Cleaning Filters
    19. Replacing Fork oils and seals
    20. Checking head bearings, wheel bearings & Swingarm Bearings
    21. Gasget Jets
    22. Re-Building Carbs
    23. Waterproof the electrics
    24. Changing Brake Pads (proberly best to do this BEFORE bleeding the brakes)
    25. Checking the Regulator
    26. Checking the choke cable (apparantly its meant to stick and not close on its own)

Well thats a pretty big list, and I'm sure it'll continue to grow the more we get on with it.

I have a copy of the service manual for the ZXR "C" model and I'm happy to print out a few copies (thanks to work lol) that can be handed out on the night for those who don't have one already...

So far including myself (Judging by this thread) we have 6 people interested. We'll leave the thread for a while to see if the other ZXR riders find it and show some interest.

We will still need to organise a venue and organise who will teach what...

Thread Information