View Poll Results: Which firearm types do you own?

Voters
912. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

291 31.91%
  • Shotgun Auto (non MSSA)

96 10.53%
  • Rifle (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

408 44.74%
  • Rifle Auto (non MSSA)

177 19.41%
  • MSSA

66 7.24%
  • Pistol

78 8.55%
  • Black powder (rifle, pistol, shotgun)

35 3.84%
  • Air/Gas (pistol, rifle)

313 34.32%
  • un-armed

305 33.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 676 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: The firearm thread

Bike
    ex rider
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    I'm interested in the same. I have a fetish for getting magpies at daybreak nothing better that starting the day with a magpie. My problem is they are getting more cunning, well more difficult with the .22 anyway , is the .17 a better choice over 100m up the top of trees with the wind higher and I don't need more noise so are they much quieter with a suppressor ? ( like I mean no more noisy than Hi vel .22) rural areas are being more populated by people who don't like the noise or smell of .45 hawken trying to hit a magpie at 60 m it's a lot more fun when you do hit one tho. Please only gun freaks reply I couldn't handle anymore red reps from the Green people. Ahh Nothin betta that the smell of blackpowder in the morning.
    Oh yes I thoroughly ephasis with you.

Rather than the Hawken try a 12 guage solid slug. Accurate to 100 yards and boy does it f#@k possums so I hate to think what would be left after hitting a magpie.

The smeel of blackpowder anytime of the day. The roar the flame and the thunder. Welcome to the "Darkside". Soot Lords rule.

As has been said so often, "modern propellant is just a passing fad"

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post

Rather than the Hawken try a 12 guage solid slug. Accurate to 100 yards and boy does it f#@k possums so I hate to think what would be left after hitting a magpie.
    Do you tie a lot of trout flies do you ?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Ferkin near does your shoulder in as well if you're lying down when you fire
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    ex rider
    Do you tie a lot of trout flies do you ?
    This is lost on me. If it is a reference to fishing then I have to admit that I dont. The only fishing I have ever done is with 1/2 a stick of gelignite and a net downstream.

Bike
    This is lost on me. If it is a reference to fishing then I have to admit that I dont. The only fishing I have ever done is with 1/2 a stick of gelignite and a net downstream.
    Hmmm, my guess it's in reference to the mass of feathers left behind..... that could be used for flies...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    As an honourable sportsman When I think someone is watching I find that statement abhorent and am presently *555 you as we speak.

Bike
    ex rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Hmmm, my guess it's in reference to the mass of feathers left behind..... that could be used for flies...
    Cheers for that. I'm getting older and thicker as time goes on.

BTW I picked up that little .22 semi hangun on Sunday. Full suppressor and 3 spare mags. As quiet as using a soft air pistol.

Very nice.

Bike
    Cheers for that. I'm getting older and thicker as time goes on.

BTW I picked up that little .22 semi hangun on Sunday. Full suppressor and 3 spare mags. As quiet as using a soft air pistol.

Very nice.
    Ya jammy bugger, would love sommat like that, love using silenced weapons, so discrete!

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Ferkin near does your shoulder in as well if you're lying down when you fire
    Yep thats why blackpowder is only used in the "other" positions than prone

Bike
    ex rider
    I use BP in the prone position when firing my long range Remington Rolling Block 45-70.

520 gn projectile over 65 gns of BP. Accurate to 1000 yards. Wish I was.

My CAS shotgun loads lately have been 70 gns of BP with 1oz #7 shot.

Like all firearms, it only kicks if you handle it wrong.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
    They make quite a "crack" compared to a .22LR, I have no experiance with the suppressor but by all accounts they are quiet effective at removing a fair chunk of the initial "crack".
    But would do fuck all in getting rid of the travel noise of a Mach-2 projectile. I used to fire sub-sonic rounds in the suppressed Brno but a sub-sonic round would defeat the purpose if you're using a .17 for it's accuracy over long distances.

I found on the .22 the suppressor certainly took the edge off the initial crack of even the standard ammo and it turned the softer report of the sub-sonic rounds into an almost apologetic "cough" - about the noise level of a CO2 air pistol.

A mate of mine reckonned that with a suppressed .22 and sub-sonic ammo he could snipe at rabbits coming down to drink and quite a few would fall before the others twigged that something was up - and then he could usually get a couple more before they fled. By comparison: one shot of a standard .22 bullet from an unsuppressed firearm and all he'd see was one dead rabbit.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The big bores (8 and 4 bore I mean) were fired standing or kneeling. Most others were fired prone but lying somewhat sideways to the point of aim. That way the recoil tended to push your shoulder back rather than just punch through your collar bone. That position lasted through until the demise of the .303.

It was the advent of the .223/5.56 that permitted a prone position in line with the barrel. At that relatively "recoiless" point some bright spark finally fitted rubber pads to military rifles...

Ah well!
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch008 View Post
    It was the advent of the .223/5.56 that permitted a prone position in line with the barrel. At that relatively "recoiless" point some bright spark finally fitted rubber pads to military rifles...

Ah well!
    You ever seen the recoil 'pad' on a No.5? (Jungle Carbine)

Worse than the standard brass 'plate imho, too narrow and not that soft.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    You ever seen the recoil 'pad' on a No.5? (Jungle Carbine)
    Military rifles stopped being cool when you could no longer splinter bones with the butt if you ran out of ammo.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    have to keep it in my gun safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Military rifles stopped being cool when you could no longer splinter bones with the butt if you ran out of ammo.
    Military rifles still have bayonet lugs and todays military personel are still equipped with bayonets, in which can be used in this given situation.
    Never let your enemy see your emotions, for it is the one weapon they will value most.

Thread Information