View Poll Results: Which firearm types do you own?

Voters
912. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

291 31.91%
  • Shotgun Auto (non MSSA)

96 10.53%
  • Rifle (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

408 44.74%
  • Rifle Auto (non MSSA)

177 19.41%
  • MSSA

66 7.24%
  • Pistol

78 8.55%
  • Black powder (rifle, pistol, shotgun)

35 3.84%
  • Air/Gas (pistol, rifle)

313 34.32%
  • un-armed

305 33.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 676 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: The firearm thread

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by patd0g View Post
    Military rifles still have bayonet lugs...
    Well, um... what if the bayonet breaks? Eh? Eh?

Then I've got you and your plastic poodle-shooter right where I want 'em.

Anyway, you can't hammer in tent pegs with a bayonet. My Nagant served that purpose well the last time we went camping.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    have to keep it in my gun safe.
    you'll find your entrenching tool/spade works pretty well hammering in tent pegs

btw, by plastic poodle shooter do you mean steyr?
    Never let your enemy see your emotions, for it is the one weapon they will value most.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by patd0g View Post
    btw, by plastic poodle shooter do you mean steyr?
    Yes.

I hope I never get shot by a 5.56.

Such an undignified way to die.

It'd almost be as though I wasn't worth the extra bullet weight.
    - mikey

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I hope I never get shot by a 5.56.

Such an undignified way to die.
    If you do die, that is. The round was apparently chosen because it was more likely to maim than kill, thus taking more of the enemy out of the combat (removing the injured soldier from the battleground) than killing one of them would.
    The M-16's a toy as well - I was stunned that I could hold one one-handed and aim it like a pistol. You'd probably have more effect clubbing your opponent with a feather duster than with the snap-happy Lincoln Toy.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The round was apparently chosen because it was more likely to maim than kill...
    Oh, pig's arse. It was chosen because it could deliver more kinetic energy on a greater number of targets within typical engagement range for a given weight of ammunition.

If we're going to beat dead horses, can we do .45 vs 9mm instead?
    - mikey

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    If you do die, that is. The round was apparently chosen because it was more likely to maim than kill, thus taking more of the enemy out of the combat (removing the injured soldier from the battleground) than killing one of them would.
    The M-16's a toy as well - I was stunned that I could hold one one-handed and aim it like a pistol. You'd probably have more effect clubbing your opponent with a feather duster than with the snap-happy Lincoln Toy.
    much better lugging one of them around all day than an SLR. All depends on what the task is aye.

"The round was apparently chosen because it was more likely to maim than kill, thus taking more of the enemy out of the combat (removing the injured soldier from the battleground) than killing one of them would."

Don't know where this came from the other one was that it was primarily designed for Artic conditions, you would die from hypothermia because of blood loss. I think young soldiers like to believe in things like this. Ask the current soldiers what they prefer and you might be surprised how simple their requirements are and it aint science. Or playstation

Bike
    Anyway, you can't hammer in tent pegs with a bayonet. My Nagant served that purpose well the last time we went camping.
    Hmmm, must be a common thing - the stock on the one I bought looked like it had been used for hammering something...
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Oh, pig's arse. It was chosen because it could deliver more kinetic energy on a greater number of targets within typical engagement range for a given weight of ammunition.
    OK. I was just going by what I was told. I wasn't sure of the accuracy, hence "apparently" - perhaps I should have said "allegedly".
    Yeah, that could be good for a laugh - and we could have a pool on how long before the thread gets consigned to PD
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Yep I think that when the bean counters took over tactics, been like that ever since Vietnam era where the military couldn't use ultimate force to achieve its objective instead it was a show and tell. Meaning winning wasn't important anymore . Bravo 20 was the final wake up. Before that incident the premise was we will alway get you back. That incident bought to the world spotlight that it was now not cost effective. And highlighted in the Book Soldier 5. Recently in Afganistan 4 guys from 40 commando were world headline news in a dramatic attempt to do a Hot Casevac. Betcha the management are still trying to explain that one.

Bike
    A Blade or two
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten View Post
    ive managed to get ahold of the importers factory in albany who recons he will do it for 495 with bag and ammo.... not bad aye
    Was that a price for Joe Bloggs or a one off special for you?
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Hmmm, I remember in the early 60's in The Amercan Rifleman and Guns & Ammo that the 223 was 'aimed' at the arctic circle scenario where even a slight wound was going to tie up people fixing you as stripping off without shelter in those conditions was ill advised, ergo it meant your buddies had to get you to shelter before they could start treating you.

Just my old memory, not always 100%.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    ex rider
    It has been common knowledge in military circles that if a man is killed it take just him/her out of the picture but if a person is wounded that up to 5 or more individuals could be tied up caring for him.

5.56 is a light round to carry. If it doesnt kill it wounds. 2 objectives covered, less weight for the soldier on the ground to carry and he doesnt have to be a crack marksman just an adequate shot.

In the American Civil war, where the standard bullet size was a .58 caliber, the most feared wound was from the lowly .22.

Why?

Because the .58 left a very large hole and the bullet was easily found and extracted. It was a fearsome wound but could be repaired.

The .22 was easily deflected and could take a zig zag path in the body of the wounded soldier. If it did so it would lead to blood poisoning and infection if not found in a few days. In those days there was no x-ray so they had to probe for the bullet. There was no antibiotics so infection was lethal.

There were a lot of Smith and Wesson #1 and #1 1/2 pistols bought by the soldieirs as personal weapons. These were chambered for the lowly .22.

The .22, the longest produced cartridge round ever. Originally produced in 1852 and still going strong pretty much unchanged.

Bike
    hmx 500
    i got a slug gun 1000feet per sec,does that count.
    DUCATI ALL THE WAY!!!

Bike
    ex rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DUCATI*HARD View Post
    i got a slug gun 1000feet per sec,does that count.
    Pnuematic weapons have been around for a long time so of course your slug gun counts.

In the Napoleonic Wars, Napoleon himself drafted an order that any enemy soldier caught with an "air" gun was to be executed imediately without trial.

The air rifles of the day were more accurat than the standard firearms, shot further and one couldnt identify where it was fired from as there was no puff of smoke from the powder. Hence they were an unfair weapon.

Bike
    ex rider
    I am a mine of useless information

Thread Information