View Poll Results: Which firearm types do you own?

Voters
912. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

291 31.91%
  • Shotgun Auto (non MSSA)

96 10.53%
  • Rifle (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

408 44.74%
  • Rifle Auto (non MSSA)

177 19.41%
  • MSSA

66 7.24%
  • Pistol

78 8.55%
  • Black powder (rifle, pistol, shotgun)

35 3.84%
  • Air/Gas (pistol, rifle)

313 34.32%
  • un-armed

305 33.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 657 of 676 FirstFirst ... 157557607647655656657658659667 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,855 of 10140

Thread: The firearm thread

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I'm always surprised at how Lawyers and Politicians seem to struggle to understand:

'Shall not be Infringed'

It's not the Systems that's fucked...
    That refers specifically to the "militia." Not the knuckle dragging fuckwits that need to carry a slung AR to Starbocks or Macca's.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    BSA A10
    I'm always surprised at how Lawyers and Politicians seem to struggle to understand:

'Shall not be Infringed'

It's not the Systems that's fucked...
    "shall not be infringed" is bullshit, that right is infringed upon all the time
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That refers specifically to the "militia." Not the knuckle dragging fuckwits that need to carry a slung AR to Starbocks or Macca's.
    The Federalist papers, Supreme Court and pretty much the last 200 years of US history disagrees with you.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Shit, has starbucks and maccas been around that long?
    Pritch has a point. While living in Arkansas, In saw the occasional egotistical dickhead walking around the local Walmart doing the open carry thing. May as well been walking around with their cocks hanging out their pants as far as I was concerned. The common denominator was they all had a similar strut to a turkey, only the turkeys are more impressive. I guess it kept the government in check though

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'm shit scared of guns so glad I dont live in merca with people wandering around with them in the breeze as I know most of them are probably educated by comic books.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Shit, has starbucks and maccas been around that long?
    Pritch has a point. While living in Arkansas, In saw the occasional egotistical dickhead walking around the local Walmart doing the open carry thing. May as well been walking around with their cocks hanging out their pants as far as I was concerned. The common denominator was they all had a similar strut to a turkey, only the turkeys are more impressive. I guess it kept the government in check though
    The Open Carry thing is an interesting one.

I think it's best to say that I feel it is improper to go into a Public place, so armed - without reason.

That said, there is a lot to say about the public display of potential lethal force being a deterrent for bad behavior. IIRC there's a study in the US that estimates 2.5 Million crimes are stopped by armed individuals (although this study is 20+ years old, newer studies have estimates as high as 6.1 Million - but there's some skepticism about the methodology) - that's something to consider.

There's different philosophies on the use and display of Force - for example The Sikh religion has that one should always be armed with a Kirpan (to defend the weak) and that it should be displayed openly.

Whereas many Concealed Carry proponents are against the public display of being armed - both to put the unarmed public at ease, but also not to draw attention to the fact you are armed.

As I said above - I feel that it's improper to grab an AR, strap it to your back and go shop 'just because', but in the same breath, if you had come from or going to a Hunting trip and didn't want to leave it in your vehicle (because you are a responsible owner) then carrying on your person is a reason.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Many of the 'right to carry' types appear to have an IQ below average. They would make me feel unsafe because most of them are so thick their hardware is likely not in a safe condition.

As for deterent value, somebody with malice aforethought would take them out before they could unsling their penis extension. All they are doing is promoting themselves to victim number one.

Many concealed carry dudes agree with that theory. It's just that you have to trust the CC dudes are all totally sane. Not always a given.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Many of the 'right to carry' types appear to have an IQ below average. They would make me feel unsafe because most of them are so thick their hardware is likely not in a safe condition.
    I feel there is a smug Alec Baldwin joke in there...

but in seriousness, when you see pictures of them, if their hand is on the grip, normally we see good Trigger and muzzle discipline - so I'm not sure I can concur on the last part.

As for deterent value, somebody with malice aforethought would take them out before they could unsling their penis extension. All they are doing is promoting themselves to victim number one.

Many concealed carry dudes agree with that theory. It's just that you have to trust the CC dudes are all totally sane. Not always a given.
    This is where it gets interesting:

I think for a certain type of criminal - a visible Armed deterrent is very effective - I'd hazard a guess that it's the type where criminality is a means to an end (e.g. Money, Status, Power).

There is, however, another type of person, for which Criminality is a Means unto itself - Sort of like the Joker in The Dark Knight - one who simply wants to watch the world burn - and for those - I think you're right, they would target those people first.

But in doing so, everyone else has a fraction of a second longer to get away or return fire - so may not be a bad thing. I'm reminded of the Draw Mohammed contest in Texas.

As I said above - the notion of whether Force should be openly (and 'honestly') displayed, or whether it should be kept concealed so that someone has to presume anyone and everyone to be armed is an argument that has gone back Millennia.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I'm shit scared of guns so glad I dont live in merca with people wandering around with them in the breeze as I know most of them are probably educated by comic books.
    Dave I've lived here for 23 years and I've seen maybe 3 open carry in public places.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Yo momma

Words from a stupid old dickhead.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    The Open Carry thing is an interesting one.

I think it's best to say that I feel it is improper to go into a Public place, so armed - without reason.
    Well I certainly did not feel safer and would have misgivings that they would make sound decisions if shit hit the fan. Seeing the local sheriff sporting a gun in the same wall mart did not invoke the same misgivings. That particular sheriffs father, a past sheriff was known to be the man to go in and take care of a perp if a court case was deemed undesirable.

More to that, an old mining friend of my wife's had a few stories to tell that highlighted to me how at least in rural Arkansas, different values were placed on Human life to what I was used too. Lee was a straight shooter who's default disposition was decidedly understatement. He told me of two incidents that really stuck with me, and I have zero doubt that these stories were true. The first one was when hippies descended on Montgomery county to raid quartz crystals from the local mines at the height of the 80's crystal craze, the local sheriff got the miners together and told them that if any hippies were reported missing after visiting their said mines, police officers would be instructed to only dig 8 feet down with excavators and no further. Subsequently many hippies did go missing.

At a mine where I paid fees to dig at, I could not help but notice a shotgun in the mine owners truck while taking me to the claim, the mine owner described it as a permanent deterrent lol
    The other story Lee told me was he was in a 3 way partnership on another mine, and one of the other partners had a verbal stoush with the other. It was basically a yelling match. Then one partner pulled out a hand gun and shot the other in the gut, and he subsequently became deceased. The shooter than rang the Sheriff, said the other guy drew first (he had not) and boom, it was case over, no investigation nothing.

Both stories highlight how even the best system is totally useless when the PEOPLE in charge of administering them choose not to follow said system.

I"n the current US situation, toilet paper is worth more than the paper the system is written upon.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Well I certainly did not feel safer and would have misgivings that they would make sound decisions if shit hit the fan. Seeing the local sheriff sporting a gun in the same wall mart did not invoke the same misgivings. That particular sheriffs father, a past sheriff was known to be the man to go in and take care of a perp if a court case was deemed undesirable.
    So let me ask you - why did you have those Misgivings about Average Joe (absent any additional information), whereas you didn't have the same Misgivings about someone who grew up in a culture of Vigilante Justice (according to you)?

I would be more concerned about the Latter to be honest.

And I'm not using that to cast aspersions on your Moral Character, more to make the point - that even knowing someone is connected with Vigilantism (even by proxy) - you still view authority with a degree of respect, that you don't extend to the average person.

More to that, an old mining friend of my wife's had a few stories to tell that highlighted to me how at least in rural Arkansas, different values were placed on Human life to what I was used too. Lee was a straight shooter who's default disposition was decidedly understatement. He told me of two incidents that really stuck with me, and I have zero doubt that these stories were true. The first one was when hippies descended on Montgomery county to raid quartz crystals from the local mines at the height of the 80's crystal craze, the local sheriff got the miners together and told them that if any hippies were reported missing after visiting their said mines, police officers would be instructed to only dig 8 feet down with excavators and no further. Subsequently many hippies did go missing.

At a mine where I paid fees to dig at, I could not help but notice a shotgun in the mine owners truck while taking me to the claim, the mine owner described it as a permanent deterrent lol
    The other story Lee told me was he was in a 3 way partnership on another mine, and one of the other partners had a verbal stoush with the other. It was basically a yelling match. Then one partner pulled out a hand gun and shot the other in the gut, and he subsequently became deceased. The shooter than rang the Sheriff, said the other guy drew first (he had not) and boom, it was case over, no investigation nothing.

Both stories highlight how even the best system is totally useless when the PEOPLE in charge of administering them choose not to follow said system.

I"n the current US situation, toilet paper is worth more than the paper the system is written upon.
    So, I don't doubt either stories either - and it's something I've heard of, that in smaller - insular communities - in the US, that the local Administration (Mayor, Sheriff, Judge etc.) can become extremely corrupt.

Is that a Systemic Issue that means we throw the whole thing out, or is that an Individual issue, where we need to hold the Individual to account?

I would grant you that you could argue that such a system doesn't have sufficient checks/balances and needs tweaking - but then in the context of the US, the check/balance is the 2nd Amendment: Corrupt local officials? Violently overthrow them!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    About a year or do ago there was a story in the paper of a woman in a US carpark when these clowns were trying to steal a TV and run away while the shopkeepers chasing yelling Stop thief! So she pulls out he gun and starts unloading it in their direction.

Fortunately she missed, but fuk me, general public are stupid/angry/irrational/irresponsible/horny/stupid/frustrated/stupid. Why the fuk should they be trusted with handguns?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    About a year or do ago there was a story in the paper of a woman in a US carpark when these clowns were trying to steal a TV and run away while the shopkeepers chasing yelling Stop thief! So she pulls out he gun and starts unloading it in their direction.

Fortunately she missed, but fuk me, general public are stupid/angry/irrational/irresponsible/horny/stupid/frustrated/stupid. Why the fuk should they be trusted with handguns?
    Why the Fuck should they be trusted with Cars?
    Why the Fuck should they be trusted with Hammers?
    Why the Fuck should they be trusted with Knives?
    Why the Fuck should they be trusted with non-prescription Medicine?

Plus, I have a very low level of sympathy for someone getting shot at, whilst committing a crime. Seems the simple solution to not be shot at is to, y'know, not commit Crime.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Wow so much angry penis envy over the open carry thing.... ever stop to think many of those people would maybe work security or govt agency jobs.....
    But hey never mind all the hoodie wearing deadbeats who WILL be dumb enough to be carry a knife and STUPID enough to use it over minor issues.
    Funny thing to be worried about during a plague when someone coughing could kill you, albeit with less drama....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information