Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CB750 cafe racer build

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries
    Cool, I have often found that its quite difficult reusing the original seat hardware, without resorting to A LOT of work & I usually make up my own fittings to suit.... good luck with that. My only comment is that the tank is very rectangular & sharp edged & a roundy seat , only in my opinion, looks a bit out of place. Generally speaking I try to match up the seat shape with the back part of the tank, works for me
    ITS NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT,BUT WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT
    https://hondacx500custombuild.blogspot.com/?m=1

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I loved a lot of Paul Dunstals work with Nortons (still got his tuning book someplace) and used some of his kit in my Atlas cafe racer but to be honest...... I never liked the later fibreglass stuff for the big japanese bikes.

But then again - a lot of the english 'style' was a bit odd. It was more a deliberate opposition to the trad cafe racer style.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodave View Post
    Cool, I have often found that its quite difficult reusing the original seat hardware, without resorting to A LOT of work & I usually make up my own fittings to suit.... good luck with that. My only comment is that the tank is very rectangular & sharp edged & a roundy seat , only in my opinion, looks a bit out of place. Generally speaking I try to match up the seat shape with the back part of the tank, works for me
    Yeah I guess, I did see some seally type seats that Carpe uses, I wasn't too keen on the boxy look. Hopefully it won't look too odd when its all together. I don't mind fidling around with the brackets might end up making some myself. Its saved me enough money in the budget to get the frame and bits and bobs powder coated which I wasn't planning to do, seems a shame not too now that I've gone this far.

Bike
    Heres one that Carpy did, makes me think the tank should be red..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunstallcb7502.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	54966  

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    I loved a lot of Paul Dunstals work with Nortons (still got his tuning book someplace) and used some of his kit in my Atlas cafe racer
    I agree, some of the early Dunstall Jappa stuff was a bit OTT, but I dont mind the later offerings. FYI, I can do figlass replicas of the Dunstall Commando fairing/windscreen/dashboard, front mudguard & seat unit/upholstry amongst a lot of other Norton stuff including Commando , Manx & Kennedy tanks,sidecovers & Norvil seats etc

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    but to be honest...... I never liked the later fibreglass stuff for the big japanese bikes.

But then again - a lot of the english 'style' was a bit odd. It was more a deliberate opposition to the trad cafe racer style.
    When taken in context with the 70's 'glam rock' & later 'disco' & their often flamboyant clothing styles, Dunstalls jap bike offerings were purely a reflection ,quite representative & in tune with the fashion of the era..... DISCO RULES!!!

Bike
    Some of it is very Buck rodgers style. Need some flared leathers to go with it! Still very cool in its own way.

Bike
    Just finished the bars, controls and top yolk. Ground (hacked) off the bar clamps and was left with two holes that I was going to get filled in, they look kind of funky so I'm going to leave them for the time being. Casting was pretty rough under the paint, filing and lower grades of emery paper got it pretty good, I had a small accident with the grinder which left a mark too deep to get rid of. Clip ons came up nice, switch gear was a bit tricky - they were black anodised before - emery paper was a stalemate - aluminium oxide vs aluminium oxide. I had to use a stainless wire brush, then emery out the brush marks and move up to the finish. Not show quality but good enough and still got some character in them.

Name:	controls.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	55562  

Bike
    Also frame is completely stripped - forks are just back in while I was measuring some stuff up. I did flat it back for painting but it will be powder coated now.

Name:	frame.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	55563  

Bike

Tank & Seat

Both arrived. Had to have a go at putting it all on. Seat has been cut down but is only resting on the frame. Blue masking tape on the tank is just for protection while I'm dicking around with the seat. Starting to look like a bike again. I will have to mod the steering lock with a blob or two of weld as the clip ons will touch the tank on full lock. Electrics will all go under the seat hump so I can ditch the ugly side covers, will be extending the wiring loom. Lots of plates and brackets to be made yet.

Name:	DSC00083.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	542.6 KB 
ID:	55993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00085.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	55994  

Bike
    Purple Vespa 250

Thumbs up Looking good:

Matey, well done. I like it, what color will you choose?
    A condom is to keep ones Pipe clean.

Bike
    Hey,

I Like the tank as it is, the seat will be covered all over in black vinyl and I was thinking of a very dark grey/silver for the powdercoating on the frame, I haven't looked into the powdercoating yet. By the way Crack there are some cheap CB750 rings going on EBAY at the moment:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mrssuperdeals/

$35 US for all four!

Bike
    BSA A10
    Some nice stuff here
    http://dotheton.com

quite a bit of CB750 stuff on there (as well as lots of others)
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Cheers for the link Kickaha, thats a new one.

Bike
    Most of my time has been spent scratching my head and staring at the frame and seat mounts and tail light. Tail light and number plate bracket has been the hardest to get around. I Bought a nice replica 50's style Lucas tail lamp and have been struggling to find a way of fitting it so that it looks nice and won't get kicked by the rear tyre under full swingarm travel. I decided to make up a little alloy box, hopefully I will be able to fix it together with durafix brazing rods. Its held together with sticky tape at the moment. I will finish filing it and polish it up when I've braized it together.

Name:	DSC00096.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	57051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00094.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	57052  

Thread Information