Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between GN250 & Volty

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries

Differences between GN250 & Volty

I have a Suzuki Volty, which is basically the same as a GN250. But I'm gradually discovering some differences and I thought it might be useful to share them as I come across them.

My latest discovery is wheel size. My Volty still had its original tyre from 1995, so I decided to get a new one last week. To my surprise I found that the Volty has a 17" diameter rear wheel (I think the GN is 16").

The old tyre was a 120/80/17 whch is apparently pretty rare and gives you limited choices of brand etc. On the advice of Chris at Haldane's I replaced it with a 110/90/17. He reckons there's no disadvantage to the change, and the advantage is lots more choice.

So I replaced the hard old tyre with a Bridgestone Battleaxe. (I'm going to enjoy living up to the name.) For a minute there I was tempted to get a Pirelli, but changed my mind when I discovered that brolly boys don't come as standard. I would have rather enjoyed pointing out that my little Volty was riding on pirellis.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    BT045? In fact, a 110 in place of a 120 should give you sharper handling with (on that bike) no real downside. I'd guess the GN had a small diameter fat tyre for the cruiser look.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Various things
    Your TU 250 is also Japanese built.....it's of a far higher quility than the latest GN 250's.

Bike
    Corona GSXR 600
    Volty's are alot better than GN's for 3 reasons:

*They have more class in their look

*They aren't mass produced chineese rubbish

*And there aren't a thousand of then on the road!!!

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.
    Wasnt expecting that quartermile.

Voltys are far superior IMO.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermile View Post
    Volty's are alot better than GN's for 3 reasons:

*They have more class in their look

*They aren't mass produced chineese rubbish

*And there aren't a thousand of then on the road!!!
    Well... I couldn't possibly comment because of course I'm biased... but you're absolutely right! Voltys have that curvy retro style thing going on...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volty.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	52276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voltyfront.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	52277  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    BT045? In fact, a 110 in place of a 120 should give you sharper handling with (on that bike) no real downside. I'd guess the GN had a small diameter fat tyre for the cruiser look.
    Yep, it's a BT045. And that's exactly what Chris said about the handling. She'll be a demon on the twisties now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Your TU 250 is also Japanese built.....it's of a far higher quility than the latest GN 250's.
    I've been following some of the unfortunate stories of the de-chroming new GNs. I'd be so mad if I bought a new bike and it started doing that! The only sign of rust on the Volty was on the mirrors - which weren't original anyway. The rest of the chrome seems to be in really good nick.

So what other differences have you discovered, fellow Volty owners?

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.
    Adjustable rear supension. Do the GN's have that?

Bike
    GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMike View Post
    Adjustable rear supension. Do the GN's have that?
    Yep mine does

I had a question... I have the standard GN Tyres that came with the bike when I brought her, should I replace these... (as I have been told they arent very good) and if so, what do I replace them with?
    " It appears that the website has become alive. This happens to computers and robots sometimes. Am I scared of a stupid computer? Please. The computer should be scared of me."

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    Yep mine does

I had a question... I have the standard GN Tyres that came with the bike when I brought her, should I replace these... (as I have been told they arent very good) and if so, what do I replace them with?
    Yes you should. Will transform the handling and improve your confidence. 16" rear & 18" front??
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Yes you should. Will transform the handling and improve your confidence. 16" rear & 18" front??
    Yea... I have NO confidence with my bike.. esp when its wet. I have no idea about what tyres to get, will go into my local bike shop and ask them I think. I am pretty bad at maintence as well, I havent even checked my tyre pressure... but will do this tonight.
    " It appears that the website has become alive. This happens to computers and robots sometimes. Am I scared of a stupid computer? Please. The computer should be scared of me."

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    Yea... I have NO confidence with my bike.. esp when its wet. I have no idea about what tyres to get, will go into my local bike shop and ask them I think. I am pretty bad at maintence as well, I havent even checked my tyre pressure... but will do this tonight.
    It's smacked bottom time for you Love!

Tyre pressures MUST be checked regularly.....low pressure make any bike handle like a wheel barrow with fucked wheel brgs......not safe!

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.

Tyre pressures MUST be checked regularly.....low pressure make any bike handle like a wheel barrow with fucked wheel brgs......not safe!
    SHIT anyone know what pressure the tyres on my bike should be, Ive never checked it

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMike View Post
    SHIT anyone know what pressure the tyres on my bike should be, Ive never checked it
    32/34 will be just fine for you mate

Bike
    GSF250

Ohhhhhhh Ive told off! hehe. Ok checked my manual I think they are suppose to be 25/29 going to run out to the garage and TRY and check them now.... Thanks Pete!

Thread Information